21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

Dark City

A year before the Matrix was released came this pre-cursor, a stylish, fast, and fascinating neo-noir sci-fi film that has a lot of similarities with its more popular counterpart.

The world building of this film is next level. There are sights you just do not see. The CGI is bad by today's standards, but still pretty damn cool to watch. There was just a whole unique vibe that I totally loved.

However, there was also something slightly off-putting about the look... idk how to say it, it was like that 80s 90s cheesy/grated look that I often stereotype movies with. Especially in the underground with the pale people, it looked weird and fake.

However, as I said, this movie doesn't give you answers till the end, and even at the end it is ambiguous. It's thought provoking, chilling, and asks seriously important questions about our experience with memory and how it is controlled,

+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Pride

There just wasn't a whole lot for me to care about with this film. I thought the story was told decently, but there was nothing exciting or even emotional about it. I personally didn't care for any of the people involved and the acting didn't help anything either. The only performance I didn't mind was George Mackay, who I really liked in 1917 so it was cool to see him here.

It was cool to see the Miners return the favor in that parade at the end, but by then I was ready for the film to end anyways so it really didn't do anything to add to how I felt about the film. Nothing I would consider bad I would just say that it's not a film that was structured to suit my tastes much. I'm actually surprised it seems like it's pretty favorable here as it seems rather dull to me compared to most of the other nominations so far.

Wedding Crashers (2005)

"He's a homo."

To honor the most formulaic film this far in this HoF, I'll break my formula and start with the positives. There's a 15-20 minutes period around the middle of the film that's actually funny (especially the homophobic granny). Unfortunately, outside of that short section, Wedding Crashers is boring, cliched, and, most importantly, not funny.

A few minutes into the film, after character introductions, it's obvious how it's going to end. There are no surprises, only a tedious journey of unlikable heroes finding the loves of their lives. The humor is far too timid, and I don't think I laughed once during the first 55 minutes or so. I don't understand why a comedy about two egoistic jerks looking to get laid as much as possible isn't meaner and more coarse.

Acting is quite weak, and I don't think Wilson fits his role (though I admit that I generally dislike him as an actor). At two hours, the film is way too long (I don't think just editing would have helped, the script needed a major rewriting). As a whole, Wedding Crashers is quite a weak representative of a genre that rarely interests me (as an example, American Pie is much better, similar movie).

Sorry for the bashing.

Being There (Hal Ashby, 1979)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/04/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 21st MoFoHall of Fame, nominated by Siddon
Rewatch: No.

There are few things that I find more tedious than having to sit through an unfunny comedy and Being There was an absolute chore to watch. I didn't find a single scene amusing (though I'll grant that this statement is probably true of the majority of the comedies I've seen) and the dramatic elements failed to engage me. I simply didn't give a crap about any of its characters or any of the events of the story.

In fact there is absolutely nothing about this film that I did give a crap about and I cannot think of a single bit of praise to offer it. About as close as I can come is to echo what I said about The Squid and the Whale: There have been many movies that I've hated than this one - though none of those films have been nominated in this hall of fame.

I'm probably being far too generous with this rating, but **** it.

-

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Gotta get a few more of these done. I've been falling behind!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Quills Philip Kaufman, 2000)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/06/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 21st MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by me
Rewatch: Yes.

In each of us, there is such beauty and such abomination.

There is absolutely nothing about this film that I don't love. I love that it addresses sexuality and sexual freedom and expression. I love that it addresses the clash between science and religion (or at least what passed for science in 18th century France). I love that it pokes fun at religion. I love that it addresses censorship and artistic freedom while not neglecting to address the effects art can have on the people that consume it. I love that we see the clash between the archaic notion that the mentally ill be punished and the more enlightened ideas of therapy and rehabilitation. I love that the Marquis de Sade is perhaps the least sadistic of the film's three key characters, despite his name being the root of the very word.

I love the performances. I love how in your face Rush's de Sade is. I love the more nuanced role Phoenix plays. I love the way Michael Caine chews up the screen as the evil doctor. I love seeing Simone's transition from naive young girl to sexy seductress.

Speaking of transitions, I love the way the asylum itself devolves from an idyllic and serene place of peace to a dark, claustrophobic nightmare. I love the color palate and the way it changes as the story progresses. I love the costumes and the sets.

But perhaps what I love most (aside from just how incredibly hot Joaquin Phoenix looks in this) is the film's wry sense of humor. And it is funny as hell - funnier than any comedy I've seen and the laughs keep coming even with repeated viewings.

When I first watched Quills, it was instant love for both the film and for Joaquin Phoenix. Never before had I come across a movie so perfectly suited to my tastes and in the roughly 20 years that have passed since then, no film has yet surpassed it. I doubt any movie ever will.

Never before had I come across a movie so perfectly suited to my tastes and in the roughly 20 years that have passed since then, no film has yet surpassed it. I doubt any movie ever will.
I like that, what you wrote. It says a lot, and it made me think about which film would most suite my taste. I'm not sure I have an answer.

The trick is not minding

Never before had I come across a movie so perfectly suited to my tastes and in the roughly 20 years that have passed since then, no film has yet surpassed it. I doubt any movie ever will.
I like that, what you wrote. It says a lot, and it made me think about which film would most suite my taste. I'm not sure I have an answer.
There’s a bunch of movies like that for me. The original Star Wars trilogy. Platoon. Unforgiven. E.T. For examples

There’s a bunch of movies like that for me. The original Star Wars trilogy. Platoon. Unforgiven. E.T. For examples
But do you just love them for the great entertainment value? Or do you love them for a deeper expression that matches your own inner personality and beliefs. See I gather Miss Vicky has a deep connection to the film as it fits her on a personal level.

The trick is not minding
But do you just love them for the great entertainment value? Or do you love them for a deeper expression that matches your own inner personality and beliefs. See I gather Miss Vicky has a deep connection to the film as it fits her on a personal level.
Both

The trick is not minding
Pride

What an uplifting and inspiring film! Full of vibrant characters and some funny scenes.
I wasn’t familiar with the back story so did a quick read to get the gist of it.
There are some stand out performances throughout, such as Imelda Staunton, Bill Nighy, Dominic West and of course, Ben Schnetzer as the flamboyant Mark Ashton.
Aids serves as the ever present threat throughout the film, but it’s handled with subtle hands, that it never becomes a distraction.
Which was a wise choice, since the heart of the story is the relationship between the Minors and the gay and lesbian community.
There are a few silly scenes, such as the stereotypes and the dancing scene where West twirls around on a table. There’s also the impromptu singing at the meeting.
I felt we never really got to understand Mark as a character, and his motivations for leaving, although hinted at. They could have explored him a little more.
Overall this was a good movie, and one I may watch again sometime soon. It was that good.

3 *’s