General requests & recommendations thread

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
This is your thread if you're having trouble finding one that hits a certain spot. Go into as much detail as necessary

Let me start off with 3 requests:
1) I want to see a movie about a cult leader. Not the actual cult, but the leader himself. One where you understand his feelings, convictions, motivations for starting the cult, his difficulties with managing it, and what friends and enemies he made through the process. Fight Club came close, but it's not quite there because
WARNING: spoilers below
Tyler is a split personality, not the actual main character

2) Similar to the last one, I want to see one that covers the life and times of Napoleon. Basically, what Mongol (2007) did with Genghis Khan, I want to see done with Napoleon.
3) One that gives you the same pulpy buzz as this song

So far I've only seen a TV mini series about Napoleon; Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story with Armand Assante and Jacqueline Bisset. But there are still 3 big Napoleon movies on my watchlist.

3) One that gives you the same pulpy buzz as this song
Hard Boiled 1992

Request:
Good/great movies with voice over narration by the main character or one of the main characters.
Examples; The Shawshank Redemption, The Man Who Wasn't There, Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, Sin City etc. Any genre is fine, but bonus points if it's a Noir.

1) I want to see a movie about a cult leader. Not the actual cult, but the leader himself. One where you understand his feelings, convictions, motivations for starting the cult, his difficulties with managing it, and what friends and enemies he made through the process. ...
Don't know if you've seen The Master (2012) with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. The film is more about the Phoenix character, but it does meet some of your criteria re the cult leader.

Di je Karlo?
Request:
Good/great movies with voice over narration by the main character or one of the main characters.
Examples; The Shawshank Redemption, The Man Who Wasn't There, Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, Sin City etc. Any genre is fine, but bonus points if it's a Noir.
Rane (1998)

A female lead with no love interest.
Surely must exist, but, off the top of my head, I can’t think of one.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Surely must exist, but, off the top of my head, I can’t think of one.
The closest one I can think of is one you rated/recommended - "The Forest For The Trees", which I liked a lot.

@Tramuzgan are you okay with watching a silent? I highly recommend Napoleon (1927), an epic six hour exploration of his life and times.

Thanks. I almost watched this a month ago or so. Not sure why I didn't. If I remember, I'll watch it in the morning. Many times I get the feeling to watch a movie, but by the next day, everything can change.

The closest one I can think of is one you rated/recommended - "The Forest For The Trees", which I liked a lot.
You’re right! Love that movie. Seen it maybe 3 times.

Thought of another one, which I recommend to Matt. Strange little indie movie from Oz where the woman has severe OCD & almost scrubs away her own skin. She has a husband, but can’t live with him & her child due to her condition. I don’t count him as a “love interest”.

You’re right! Love that movie. Seen it maybe 3 times.
I saw it twice in a short span! I gave it an 8/10, which is a Top 5-10 score I've given for movies made in the last 30-40 years.. I literally watched it an hour after I saw your score, after realizing I love a lot of movies You love. Thanks again!

I saw it twice in a short span! I gave it an 8/10, which is a Top 5-10 score I've given for movies made in the last 30-40 years.. I literally watched it an hour after I saw your score, after realizing I love a lot of movies You love. Thanks again!
Thank you! You must be the only person here that would watch a German indie movie recommended by me.

Thank you! You must be the only person here that would watch a German indie movie recommended by me.
You're welcome.. I watch MANY movies right after I see someone with similar movie tastes posting one. Its also good so that everyone (including someone else who saw it) can discuss it, since it is still fresh in our minds.

Btw, how did you find the movie "Eight"? I read "agoraphobic" and was interested immediately.

Account terminated on request
Once I stumbled upon this unique gem of a movie:

There's something about it that reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. Are there any others like this movie? It grants a kind of hope or similar feeling.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Btw, how did you find the movie "Eight"? I read "agoraphobic" and was interested immediately.
Desperately searching Netflix streaming before my subscription expired to find something halfway decent.

Agoraphobia is part of her problem, but OCD is the more interesting part IMO. Now that I think about it, I do believe this was shot in a single take. Which I didn’t know going in.

BANNED
redman - funk from hell freestyle