Rank DiCaprio's Films/Performances

Tools    

My favorite actor of all time... I've seen almost all of his work, but I'm still trying to track down Woody Allen's Celebrity. I would rate all of his performances 10 out of 10... he puts everything he has into every role, and I find him to be consistently convincing and original with his acting.

DiCaprio's Films, Ranked in Order by Personal Preference
01. Titanic (1997) ... 5/5
02. The Departed (2006) ... 5/5
03. The Aviator (2004) ... 5/5
04. Catch Me If You Can (2002) ... 5/5
05. The Basketball Diaries (1995) ... 5/5
06. Gangs of New York (2002) ... 5/5
07. Don's Plum (2001) ... 5/5
08. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) ... 5/5
09. Total Eclipse (1995) ... 5/5
10. This Boy's Life (1993) ... 5/5
11. Blood Diamond (2006) ... 4/5
12. The Beach (2000) ... 3.5/5
13. Romeo + Juliet (1996) ... 3.5/5
14. Marvin's Room (1996) ... 3.5/5
15. The Quick and the Dead (1995) ... 3/5
16. The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) ... 2/5

DiCaprio's Performances, Ranked
01. Arnie Grape, What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
02. Derek, Don's Plum (2001)
03. Howard Hughes, The Aviator (2004)
04. Billy Costigan, The Departed (2006)
05. Jim Carroll, The Basketball Diaries (1995)
06. Danny Archer, Blood Diamond (2006)
07. Frank Abagnale Jr., Catch Me If You Can (2002)
08. Arthur Rimbaud, Total Eclipse (1995)
09. Romeo Montague, Romeo + Juliet (1996)
10. Tobias Wolff, This Boy's Life (1993)
11. Amsterdam Vallon, Gangs of New York (2002)
12. Richard, The Beach (2000)
13. Hank, Marvin's Room (1996)
14. Jack Dawson, Titanic (1997)
15. King Louis XIV/Philippe, The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
16. Fee "The Kid" Herod, The Quick and the Dead (1995)

See the trailer here:

I think he has gotten better with age. If you look at Blood Diamond and The Departed I can definitely see a more convincing performance, however, as you mentioned he has always been a pretty good actor in my opinion so take nothing away from him there.

I would've ranked The Departed just after/before blood diamond. He was pretty good in that.

Not as many as you:

Titanic
(1997)
The Departed (2006)
The Aviator (2004)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
The Basketball Diaries (1995)
Gangs of New York (2002)
The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
Romeo + Juliet (1996)

Not as many as you:

Titanic (1997)
The Departed (2006)
The Aviator (2004)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
The Basketball Diaries (1995)
Gangs of New York (2002)
The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
Romeo + Juliet (1996)
Cool. Well, I think that as soon as people see What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries, they realize that he's been turning out Departed-caliber work (or better) for thirteen years. I consider his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape to be the best onscreen acting I've ever seen. And, of course, there's This Boy's Life (De Niro's basis for teaming him up with Martin Scorsese). If you see any of those three, be sure to let me know what you think.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
The only film and performance of his that are the definition of great, is The Departed. He was God-like in that flick and it's a rip that he got nominated for his performance in Blood Diamond.

The only film and performance of his that are the definition of great, is The Departed. He was God-like in that flick and it's a rip that he got nominated for his performance in Blood Diamond.
You haven't seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape yet either, right? But I do agree with you that he was better in The Departed than he was in Blood Diamond... although he was great in both.

Here's my ranking of performances I've seen of his: (need to rewatch Titanic and Inception):

1) Blood Diamond
2) The Man in the Iron Mask
3) Marvin's Room
4) The Revenant
5) The Departed
6) The Aviator
7) Gangs of New York
8) Catch Me if You Can

Updated performance ranking (still need to rewatch Titanic and Inception though):

1) Blood Diamond
2) Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
3) The Man in the Iron Mask
4) Marvin's Room
5) The Revenant
6) The Departed
7) The Aviator
8) Revolutionary Road
9) Gangs of New York
10) Catch Me if You Can

Interesting how different performances of his manage to stick in my head, at least in a basic sense.

Also interesting that, if we're talking movies, CMiYC would be one of my favorites, even if it doesn't have one of my top DiCaprio performances.

Also interesting that, if we're talking movies, CMiYC would be one of my favorites, even if it doesn't have one of my top DiCaprio performances.
That's a good point. I started to go back and consider which of his movies included his best performances. But actually he was pretty damn good in all of them.

He also chose his films well, since most of them were good. One of my personal favorites is Inception. He may have had some weaker performances in some of his early efforts, but I don't know which ones that would be.

The one in which he has the least amount of screen time is the best.

Updated performance ranking (still need to rewatch Titanic and Inception though):

1) Blood Diamond
4) Marvin's Room
5) The Revenant
6) The Departed
7) The Aviator
8) Revolutionary Road
9) Gangs of New York
10) Catch Me if You Can

Interesting how different performances of his manage to stick in my head, at least in a basic sense.

Updated ranking: (still need to rewatch Titanic and Inception)

1) Blood Diamond
4) Marvin's Room
5) The Revenant
6) The Departed
7) The Aviator
8) Revolutionary Road
9) Django Unchained
11) Gangs of New York
12) Catch Me if You Can

The man is one of my fave actors, and I don't dislike any of the performances I ranked here.

1. The Departed
2. The Revenant
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
4. Django Unchained
5. Blood Diamond

Planning on watching Inception and Catch Me if You Can soon.