New version of The Thing coming from Blumhouse & Universal

Tools    

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...riginal-novel/

"As most are aware, John Carpenter’s The Thing and the film that preceded it, 1951’s The Thing from Another World, were both adaptations of the novella Who Goes There?, penned by John W. Campbell Jr. It was first published in the August 1938 issue of Astounding Science Fiction, and an expanded, never-before-seen version was recently unearthed.

Back in 2018, John Betancourt announced the discovery of a novel-length version of the classic novella, and he took to Kickstarter to fund the release of the novel, titled Frozen Hell.

Betancourt explained, “In 1938, acclaimed science fiction author John W. Campbell published the novella Who Goes There?, about a team of scientists in Antarctica who discover and are terrorized by a monstrous, shape-shifting alien entity. The story would later be adapted into John Carpenter’s iconic movie The Thing (following an earlier film adaptation in 1951). The published novella was actually an abridged version of Campbell’s original story, called Frozen Hell, which had to be shortened for publication. The Frozen Hell manuscript remained unknown and unpublished for decades, and it was only recently rediscovered.

This week, Betancourt has provided an incredibly exciting update on the fully-funded project, announcing that Blumhouse and Universal Studios are adapting Frozen Hell!"

The Thing from Another World was one of the best '50s sci-fi/horror movies. Of course what they could do today in terms of CGI and special effects with a similar story would be unlimited. Hope they don't gore it up...

~Doc

Yeah heard about the new edition of the book. Apparently they found it amongst Campbell's old belongings.

Want to get my hands on a copy.

Be interesting to read the full story.

The Thing from Another World was one of the best '50s sci-fi/horror movies. Of course what they could do today in terms of CGI and special effects with a similar story would be unlimited. Hope they don't gore it up...

~Doc

Problem is, they did this already with the 2011 version, and it was total ****.

I'd need to get hold of a copy of the new extended book to see what kind of movie could be made from it.
Might be all out gore fest, or simply have more paranoia and ramped up tension.
Who knows.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, like I'm intrigued and want this to be good but it's obviously hard not to have reservations about it in the wake of the 2011 film. It would make sense to try to figure out a third direction that deviates from the 1951 and 1982 versions of the story, at least.