Hirokazu Kore-eda Won the Palme d'Or

Tools    

Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda won the Palme d’Or at Cannes on Saturday for “Shoplifters,” a critically acclaimed family drama with unguessable plot twists.

The film depicts a family who, while living on a grandmother’s meager pension, send their children to steal from stores. A series of media reports about people fraudulently claiming pensions inspired Kore-eda’s film.

Prior to Kore-eda’s accolade, the most recent Japanese winner of the Palme D’Or was director Shohei Imamura, who won the award for his film “The Eel” in 1997.
source: japantimes
the Grand Prix went to Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman and Jury Prize for Nadine Labaki's Capharnaum, respectively

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I know.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Just happened to have watched his The Third Murder (2017) last night. It was nicely done, but dragged a little. It was basically a character study. Haven't seen Shoplifters yet. I must say though that typically most anything that has won at Cannes is usually of no interest to my tastes.

~Doc

Struggling with Shoplifters right now. Seems daft, but will watch some more as I thought it was going to be good.

Struggling with Shoplifters right now. Seems daft, but will watch some more as I thought it was going to be good.
Think you'll finish it, Stirch?
(If not, you know which thread to go to!)

⬆️ Hard to say. Hated it so far & fell into a coma. Revived & set it aside for tomorrow.

Will be disappointed as I thought I would like it.

But shoplifters is about 1.5 years old.
Are they that slow?

Beautiful film. One of Kore-eda's best.
Hard disagree. It's one of his worst. The worst since Distance (2001), I think, and I might've underrated Distance, so it might be his worst film, but it's still a
flick.

Haven't seen. The Third Murder, tho.

Hard disagree. It's one of his worst. The worst since Distance (2001), I think, and I might've underrated Distance, so it might be his worst film, but it's still a
flick.

Ah well, you can't win 'em all. What didn't you like about it?

The Third Murder for me is his least best. I recently got his 'Of Flesh and Blood' box set on Blu Ray. So I can't wait to see Maborosi and Still Walking.

Beautiful film. One of Kore-eda's best.
flick.

Dont lie to ne- to talk it got the great ando sakura 🙃 - ur ltbxd rating say differently

i think distance is great. the only the worst i can think of is air doll. Interesting but the subject and approach kinda out of his forte. I've seen all of his except the latest verite(thw truth) and hana, probably the most unseen/unheard of his but judging by its cast its seems his early attempt for mainstream appeal.
---
Add. My rank for his work;
1. Still Walking
2. Going my home (tv drama)
3. After life
4. After the storm
5. I wish
6. Shoplifters
7. Distance
8. The third murder
9. Like father like son
10. Maborosi
11. Without memory (tv doc)
12. Nobody knows
13. Our little sister
14. August with him (tv doc)

It was pretty fine. Just didn't give me the kind of bliss Maborosi did, nor the warm feeling of Our Little Sister, plus a similar film from the same year (Parasite which can be basically called anti-Shoplifters) proved much superior.
Dont lie to ne- to talk it got the great ando sakura 🙃 - ur ltbxd rating say differently
My Letterboxd ratings are pre-system change. But yeah, maybe if it starred Yu Aoi in a nude scene I'd consider a

You seriously gotta rewatch Our Little Sister and especially Maborosi, which is easily his best. Still Walking is number two, you got it right. :P I gotta watch Going My Home.

plus a similar film from the same year (Parasite which can be basically called anti-Shoplifters) proved much superior.
i pretty much disagree with that. Parasite not even bong's best, but hell, i feel im the only one on earth to think like that. Ima snowflake!

My Letterboxd ratings are pre-system change. But yeah, maybe if it starred Yu Aoi in a nude scene I'd consider a
IDONT WANT TO UNDERSTAND YOUR COMPLICATED RATING SYSTEM BUT Kekkon omedetou! This guy already saw aoi naked before you 😂.
Just to piss you off

You seriously gotta rewatch Our Little Sister and especially Maborosi, which is easily his best. Still Walking is number two, you got it right. :P I gotta watch Going My Home.
our little sister is
- which is good, and i feel no matter i watch it again, i think that far it can goes. But yeah we wont see that kind superb cast anytime soon.
Im more intriguing to rewatch nobody know, like father, and ofc maborosi, the most arthouse, distinguished approach of his, so i guess i can understand why you so love it. Like i said above the only out of place in his filmography so far it is air doll, it's not like he'll fail me often.

Going my home is strong feel good-drama, his warmest one but very rich on subtle insight and his "aesthetic of everyday life" . Dont expect something off kilter on it, kay?

Parasite not even bong's best, but hell, i feel im the only one on earth to think like that. ?
I agree too. Memories of Murder is better than Parasite. Parasite is getting rave reviews because of it's ability to connect with Western audiences so easily.

Parasite not even bong's best, but hell, i feel im the only one on earth to think like that. ?
I agree too. Memories of Murder is better than Parasite. Parasite is getting rave reviews because of it's ability to connect with Western audiences so easily.
i agree, MoM is much better one. I enjoy parasite but it just scratch the surface of class struggle, a satire that i bet will give audiences a feel-good of moral high horse;and through the final third it's not quite striking but nonetheless, still a solid work. It feel need to be more chaotic.

im glad with the attention its got but i really hope the mainstream of western audiences view that bong's (and south korean cinema in the last two decade) is more than Parasite.

2. Going my home (tv drama)
I have this lined up to watch - just need to find the time.
i quiet anxious to recommend this one actually because in the surface it look very very ordinary but i hope u like it.