Site looks off

Tools    

The trick is not minding
To confirm the above, I was able to switch to desktop and then back to mobile with no problems, but I can see how it can be confusing for someone. However, it is possible. Hopefully everyone is able to fix it.

Yea on mobile now and it seems functional.
Cool, that's a start.

Maybe it takes getting used to but it's definitely not as nice as before.
I think what people are seeing is less glitz, because it's simpler. In that sense, for sure, a mobile site is not going to look as nice (nice meaning fancy) as a desktop site. The places where it's nicer is you're not wasting tons of time zooming in and out and scrolling and panning because the site is super tiny, which is what I assume you were all necessarily doing before. The core functions of reading and posting should be way easier.

Don't see any options while I'm doing this post, emojis, links, etc. No way to post pics.
The automatic emojis aren't on there, but the attachment button should be just below where you reply.

Whatever was done, I would switch it back.
It's not really that simple, for technical reasons I can go into if people are genuinely curious and open-minded, I guess. If you want the short, relevant version, it's that this isn't just some for-the-heck-of-it tweak I made for no reason.

I can't see myself using this. And I'm guessing cricket feels the same.
My response is kinda the same as it was a few minutes ago:
Respectfully, maybe having a strong opinion like that 30 seconds or so into trying it is not giving things a fair shake, for all the reasons mentioned above.
Just swap "30 seconds" for "five minutes," I guess.

I'd really like people to actually try this for a bit before dismissing it, otherwise I can't even really consider it feedback.

The mobile style could be a lot better, and I can definitely work with people to make it better and add the crucial things it might need but doesn't have. But that's going to mean actually trying it out and seeing how it feels, rather than dismissing it immediately because it's simpler or just different.

My problem with the site today is that the font is too big & I can’t seem to make it smaller.
Are you using desktop or mobile? If it's desktop normal font size options/zoom should work. Works on Chrome here, at least.

EDIT: general note to no one in particular, though, to start new threads for other site concerns. I don't want this thread to become a general "whatever I wish were different" thread. It's specifically about the mobile tech stuff.

Wish I could post a pic but I can't. For me personally, it's much easier and quicker to zoom in and out on what I want than this way.
One of the tricky parts of web development is that cumbersome ways to do things become ingrained, to the point where yeah, even those much slower or tougher ways are easier! Just not as easy as they would be without the benefit of being so much more familiar. This happens at offline offices and stuff, too, which have a way of doing things that's often wildly inefficient, but it's just how it's been done and everyone understands it, so that even "better" ways seem worse at first. This is super common.

That said, the stuff that's cumbersome because it's missing, that I can help with/fix over time. If we're talking about missing buttons that make posting easier, embed images, et cetera. I could definitely use some good, considered, real-world feedback about that.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
On mobile, the Manage Attachment button doesn't appear as an option unless you click Preview to see your post. The newly loaded screen provides the attachment option. The trade off is if you've made an edit, you can't re-preview as that button is now gone.

But it is available.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Before I could see a lot of stuff on my screen. Now a post takes up my whole screen. People like that?
I mean, if your phone looks anything like mine, the "stuff" you could see was "a bunch of white blobs from a distance I can't read." You had to zoom in on the posts (so that it took up your whole screen, or nearly so) in order to actually read them, yeah?

Are you using desktop or mobile? If it's desktop normal font size options/zoom should work. Works on Chrome here, at least.
Whatever I usually use. Refresh my memory: how do I check which one I am using?

On mobile, the Manage Attachment button doesn't appear as an option unless you click Preview to see your post. The newly loaded screen provides the attachment option. The trade off is if you've made an edit, you can't re-preview as that button is now gone.
Oh, you're talking about Quick Reply. Yeah, Quick Reply is different, it excludes stuff to be, well, quick.

I can see about adding the Preview button to edit, too. Though again, a lot of this is academic if people's issues are "I like everything being very zoomed out on desktop" rather than "mobile could work if you added some key features."

Before I could see a lot of stuff on my screen. Now a post takes up my whole screen. People like that?
I mean, if your phone looks anything like mine, the "stuff" you could see was "a bunch of white blobs from a distance I can't read." You had to zoom in on the posts (so that it took up your whole screen, or nearly so) in order to actually read them, yeah?
I don't know but it was good and easy. This is brutal sorry to say.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "see." You couldn't really see anything, because you couldn't read it. You needed to zoom on the post and have it take up most of the screen the same way to actually use the site.

This sounds very, very much like disorientation because a thing is new. Which, again, is common and normal and all that, but makes it very hard to judge anything immediately, which is why I'm asking people to try it rather than just react to a sudden change in the moment.

The trick is not minding
Maybe it’s because Since I first joined I have almost exclusively used my phone to visit this site, since I work a lot. But it doesn’t seem to be that much of a hindrance.
Hopefully you guys get more use to it.

That's almost definitely a huge part of it. I really can't emphasize enough how common this phenomena is. You can literally find people hating a change, then getting used to it, then hating a new change because it's not like the thing they used to hate.

It's not really wrong to have that reaction, either, if you've gotten very used to doing things a certain way, even if that way involves a ton of extra pinching and zooming and scrolling and wasted time. Most of it doesn't even register as a waste because it becomes second nature, and then different things just feel bad for reasons that can't even be put into words. Like when I used to have a slower computer and would just switch windows when waiting for something to load. After awhile it didn't even register as a problem...until I upgraded and got used to the faster ways.

And it's totally possible for it to be just as slow or slower at first, because things are new. The problem is, the only way to avoid that is never to change anything.

You could actually try the version of the site specifically built for the device you're using for more than a couple of minutes before giving up.

Obviously I can't make you, if you're simply determined not to. But that's obviously just a decision, rather than someone genuinely exhausting their options/not having any other choice.