Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User
Wasn't planning on seeing this as I can't stand LaBeouf, but now I'm kinda considering it...

Give it a go Zotis, you could end up enjoying this one, maybe even changing your opinion on LaBeouf! I'll look out for your review.

Unregistered User

1917 (2019)

Feel like I'm the last person to see this. Really enjoyed it and the technical aspects are a massive achievement. Did have a few issues with character development and found the 2 leads quite hard to really care about.
Unpopular opinion but I preferred Dunkirk.

Legend in my own mind

Review on my thread

I am the Watcher in the Night
I watched Parasite very recently and I'd have to give it a solid 8/10, it wa exceptional. 1917 is next on my list.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Richard Jewel...good movie could have been great, I don't think Clint should have been the one to take on this film. I think they rushed and missed the points that the film really should have focused on because the characters were so good. Sam Rockwell and Paul Walter Hauser nail it though and carry the film to four stars for me.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Secret Zoo (Son Jae-Gon, 2020)
This film, which last weekend defeated some of Hollywood's releases to become the #1 film in South Korea, is getting its first U.S. release today in Los Angeles before a limited nationwide release next week. This film is pretty funny with an ingenious idea: to get a promotion at the law firm he is temping at, an aspiring attorney is given the task of revitalizing a rundown zoo. When there are barely any animals due to the zoo's bankruptcy, the young man and the remaining zoo staff do something ingenious and unthinkable: they dress up as the major animals! Sounds crazy and it is, but in a funny sort of way. A bit on the predictable side with the plot, but a fun film nonetheless with some nice twists towards the end.

Amusing re-watch. Amazing how many celebrities leave their doors unlocked.

Just Mercy (2019) - 6.7/10. The movie ambles along a little bit in the first half. But does recover in the end. Good watch. Nothing more. Foxx is terribly under-utilized. But then again if that was the real life case, can't exaggerate I guess. The ending was very moving though. Doesn't paint the American legal system in a good light, but it is definitely badly broken.

Ace in the Hole (1951)
Dir. Billy Wilder
stars Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, and Richard Benedict

A movie for our times. When I consider the news business today it seems that the industry has taken some of the more negative lessons that we may have learned from Citizen Kane and made it into the model for current journalism. News of the fantastic, human interest stories that border on gossip and outright lies, too headlines that draw you into a story only to disappoint when you realize that the story has little or nothing to do with the headline.You really cannot blame the media for this phenomenon, but rather we must blame ourselves. We eat these stories up and the media seeks to provide us with a steady diet of such stories, making money off of other people's misfortune. This is what happens in Ace in the Hole.
A big city newspaper man has been fire from a string of big city newspapers, and seeks to make a comeback, by bringing his style of journalism to Albuquerque New Mexico. He scoffs at a sign on the wall that claims that it is best to tell the truth. The break he is waiting for comes nearly a year after he has been in New Mexico. It seems a cave-in has trapped the owner of the local trading post in a silver mine. Tatum (Kirk Douglas) takes himself off of his official assignment to cover the cave-in. He makes a deal with the sheriff and the owner of the trading posts to give himself the inside scoop on the story. He does all he can to prolong the rescue to keep his story in the headlines, and he does all he can from preventing even the big city papers from moving in on his scoop.

Tatum learns that the man could be rescued in a few days, but works with the local Sheriff and the supervisor of the rescue crew to pursue methods of rescue that he claims will be "safer" for the victim. He convinces the trapped man's wife to stay at her post and play the grieving widow. She stays when she realizes that she can charge 25cents to allow people to view the rescue. (This goes up to a dollar as more people come in, and an actual carnival sets up near the mine) As predicted the rescue takes to long and the victim dies in the mine, just a couple of hours before they can reach him.

As mentioned above the indictment does not lie a Tatum's feet or Tatum or Charles Foster Kane's feet. It lies at our own feet, for feeding these types of stories.

The technical aspects of the film were very good, I watched the Criterion edition which provided an excellent watching experience.

Is it just me, or are RomComs fading away? I can't remember any released last year. Or something that became popular.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Waves (Trey Edward Shults, 2019)
6/10
The Punishment (Sergiu Nicolaescu, 1976)
- 6.5/10
Fainting Spells (Sky Hopinka, 2018)
6/10
Bugsy Malone (Alan Parker, 1976)
6.5/10

Gangster Fat Sam (John Cassisi) hits his target.
Just Mercy (Destin Daniel Cretton, 2019)
+ 6/10
Romeo and Juliet (George Cukor, 1936)
- 6.5/10
Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (Robert D. Webb, 1953)
6/10
Panique (Julien Duvivier,1946)
6.5/10

Antisocial Michel Simon may be taken advantage of by scheming Viviane Romance and her lover.
Boys' Night Out (Michael Gordon, 1962)
6/10
The Voice of Bugle Ann (Richard Thorpe, 1936)
6/10
Sons of Denmark (Ulaa Salim, 2019)
6/10
Scary Movie (Daniel Erickson, 1991)
5/10

Paranoid John Hawkes believes an escaped killer is with him in a Halloween House of Terror at a busy carnival
A Sun (Chung Mong-Hong 2019)
6/10
The Painted Desert (Howard Higgin, 1931)
5/10
The Wrath of God (Ralph Nelson, 1972)
6/10
Farewell, My Lovely (Dick Richards, 1975)
6.5/10

A tired Philip Marlowe (Robert Mitchum) goes on another convoluted LA case while following Joe DiMaggio's pursuit of the hitting streak record.
The Fifth Seal (Zoltán Fábri, 1976)
6/10
The Yakuza (Sydney Pollack, 1974)
+ 6/10
Sporting Blood (S. Sylvan Simon, 1940)
5.5/10
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Tobe Hooper, 1986)
6/10

Stretch (Caroline Williams) and Leatherface (Bill Johnson) get real friendly.

Logan [2017] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Fantastic film that I watched this morning. Hugh Jackman really is a hit in the lead role as Wolverine. There are some brilliant action set pieces, but these are balanced out nicely with some slower, more thoughtful scenes. Great way to spend a few hours.

Is it just me, or are RomComs fading away? I can't remember any released last year. Or something that became popular.

Britney Runs a Marathon
Isn't It Romantic
Last Christmas
Long Shot
Yesterday

Legend in my own mind
Intrigued, Will check it out

Ace in the Hole (1951)
Dir. Billy Wilder
stars Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, and Richard Benedict

A movie for our times. When I consider the news business today it seems that the industry has taken some of the more negative lessons that we may have learned from Citizen Kane and made it into the model for current journalism. News of the fantastic, human interest stories that border on gossip and outright lies, too headlines that draw you into a story only to disappoint when you realize that the story has little or nothing to do with the headline.You really cannot blame the media for this phenomenon, but rather we must blame ourselves. We eat these stories up and the media seeks to provide us with a steady diet of such stories, making money off of other people's misfortune. This is what happens in Ace in the Hole.
A big city newspaper man has been fire from a string of big city newspapers, and seeks to make a comeback, by bringing his style of journalism to Albuquerque New Mexico. He scoffs at a sign on the wall that claims that it is best to tell the truth. The break he is waiting for comes nearly a year after he has been in New Mexico. It seems a cave-in has trapped the owner of the local trading post in a silver mine. Tatum (Kirk Douglas) takes himself off of his official assignment to cover the cave-in. He makes a deal with the sheriff and the owner of the trading posts to give himself the inside scoop on the story. He does all he can to prolong the rescue to keep his story in the headlines, and he does all he can from preventing even the big city papers from moving in on his scoop.

Tatum learns that the man could be rescued in a few days, but works with the local Sheriff and the supervisor of the rescue crew to pursue methods of rescue that he claims will be "safer" for the victim. He convinces the trapped man's wife to stay at her post and play the grieving widow. She stays when she realizes that she can charge 25cents to allow people to view the rescue. (This goes up to a dollar as more people come in, and an actual carnival sets up near the mine) As predicted the rescue takes to long and the victim dies in the mine, just a couple of hours before they can reach him.

As mentioned above the indictment does not lie a Tatum's feet or Tatum or Charles Foster Kane's feet. It lies at our own feet, for feeding these types of stories.

The technical aspects of the film were very good, I watched the Criterion edition which provided an excellent watching experience.

Maybe I missed something but I don't get all the praise for this. It's okay, Ingrid is very good, but I found it a bit it dull and lacking suspense.

Britney Runs a Marathon
Isn't It Romantic
Last Christmas
Long Shot
Yesterday

Are any of these any good?

Are any of these any good?
I thought Long Shot was excellent, but you have to like Seth Rogen to enjoy it I think.

I thought Long Shot was excellent, but you have to like Seth Rogen to enjoy it I think.
I am indifferent! Don't like him, don't hate him. For no apparent reason I just can seem to like John Hamm, Armie Hammer and few others!!!