Japanese Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

'After Life' (1998)

The Synopsis of this film states: "After death, people have just one week to choose only a memory to keep for eternity."

Only a handful of directors could have accomplished this film, of which Kore-eda is one. It's a masterful observation on what it is to be human, what we make of our time on this planet and what we leave behind. The recently deceased are interviewed by a panel, to share their favourite memory in life, before they can move on into the afterlife.

The film evokes memories of Bergman movies, and is almost like a Dogme film in terms of production. It also has a touch of Kurosawa about it and no doubt Ozu (who I shamefully haven't seen anywhere near enough of). The cast is presumably made up from both actors and real life people, who are just simply trying to convey their brightest, happiest memories on camera. It works remarkably well in terms of a docu-film style for the first hour or so, then the plot moves on to reveal how the panel are also involved.

It's a pretty ingenious idea from Kore-eda who was making only his 2nd feature. He was a documentary maker before his features, so some of that experience no doubt crossed over into this project. And while it's a very one dimensional film (the setting and tone is constant throughout), Kore-eda nails down the humanism and naturalistic beauty of what it is to be alive.

There is one tiny moment in which an elderly woman recalls caring for her brother just before his death, where she wells up and is overcome with emotion - and that realness, captured and turned into film by Kore-eda is just jaw droppingly moving and brilliant. This is a film that not only shows how scared Kore-eda is of amnesia, loss of feeling and emotion but also truly shows how in tune Kore-eda is with all of it and how he is able to convey it all to us in 2 hours.

This ws my nomination, and although most here didn't really find it very good I still love it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Third Murder aka Sandome no satsujin

I am SOOO going to have to watch this a second time.
Not out of confusion or such, but to more appreciate the nuances better. AND for the dialogue. To rush myself to finish this HoF I was unable to re-rent this film from my library since I didn't have the time to watch it previously, I watched a version where the dubbed wasn't at it's best. Missing some of the more poetic, philosophical conversations that I'm sure covered a good chunk of the third act.
Even though I DID get the gist of what was most likely said, I would love to discover what was ACTUALLY expressed.

Still, I do enjoy a good investigative court room drama that does not spoon-feed or play the usual tropes and Third Murder is an excellent example of that.
We do have the usual emotional/intellectual connection between attorney and accused which is nearly impossible NOT to have, but Koreeda does a splendid job. Especially in the final act. Those moments where the reflections on the glass partition is used beautifully.
Also, like any good courtroom drama, nothing is what it originally appears to be and, even more so, unlike many Hollywood films, Asian films don't have to wrap things up with a bow and we get something more philosophical. More poetic than a visceral payoff.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

After Life aka Wandafuru raifu

I do love reading people's reviews of the movies they choose and a lot of times they express far more eloquently, what I would like to say.
Scarletlion does exactly that with this film.
And much of what is said, I thoroughly agree with. To the point of the elderly woman talking about her brother was a favorite of mine as well. Such a beautiful/sad scene. Truly loved it.
And in a nutshell, this is very much the basis of After Life. Recalling specific, most poignant memories of one's life. And Koreeda has a definite knack for showcasing such expressively human-esque moments. Along with seeing him doing so when he first started, to such a film as The Third Murder. That knack becoming an art form. Quite wonderful to see.

I had previously seen this a few years ago and loved the concept and the execution of this idea. Using his knowledge of documentary film making and using it as he delved into a story-based movie. The shift into learning about the interviewers coming at a good spot where, even though the interviews were a joy to watch, had the possibility of becoming repetitive. And thereby, keeping the pacing moving quite splendidly.

So, a great little revisit that doubled as a comparative of a Director's work; making for a very enjoyable ending to a very enjoyable Hall of Fame.

YAY!
AND BRAVO!!

After-Life I was a bit confused when someone said this film was "beautifully shot" the standard seems to be pretty low if you consider this film "beautiful". The movie is a ponderous borderline pretentious story of a group of dead people who have a week to think of the memory they wish to live in for eternity.

I wish the film showed more emotional depth to the stories, and I really wish 90% of the film wasn't talking heads in a warehouse. But while that might be the bad the good is that it's fairly well executed for the ponderous nature of the film. Am I going to remember or think about this film a month from now...likely not. But for what it was, it was fine.

I have everyone's lists. The site is a bit whacky for me now so I will wait to see when I can unveil with images.
Really looking forward to the reveal!

6. A Hen in the Wind
7. After Life
8. Kamikaze Girls

... I think