Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
King of Comedy, 9/10

I didn't think Joker was bad but The King of Comedy was more unsettling and made me feel deeply uncomfortable throughout the entire film. It's also somehow a funnier film and more tightly structured, far superior overall.

BAD BOYS II
(2003)

Some really funny moments, but it's too long and the plot is stale

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Seemed familiar.

It's okay but nothing to get excited about. Kind of like...Escape Rooms. Similar to Cube, Saw 2

(compared to other slasher flicks of the era)
Bad acting, silly story but who cares when you have a madman with a machete. Some surprisingly good/bad gore/kills. Has a little of everything you want in a slasher flick.

Legend in my own mind

1917 (2020)

Enjoyed it. Visually stunning!

Full review on my thread.

The Company You Keep (2012)

Robert Redford directs and co-stars in this interesting adult thriller which dramatizes the unmasking of a member of the Weather Underground (a violent faction of the Students for a Democratic Society - SDS) from the late 1960s/early 1970s, and his subsequent fugitive journey. Another prior member has been arrested, but refuses to finger co-conspirators; while other participants have either stayed hidden in plain sight, or continue to remain underground.

A pesky cub reporter has happened onto the story, and keeps digging until he discovers the likely intentions of Redford's fugitive. Both he and the FBI become hot onto Redford's trail.

The film boasts an all-star veteran cast in addition to Redford: Susan Sarandon, Chris Cooper, Nick Nolte, Julie Christie, Brendan Gleeson, Stanley Tucci, Richard Jenkins and Sam Elliot. Shia Labeouf plays the reporter. There is fine work by Brit Marling and Anna Kendrick.

Redford provides some good direction on a screenplay by Lem Dobbs, from the novel by Neil Gordon. It's pleasing to enjoy a classic style story based thriller without the trite trappings of gore, kink, gratuitous language or sex. There's an underlying sympathy with the '60s underground movement for sure, but it doesn't attempt to superimpose its sentiments on contemporary society.

The picture was a tad muddled in its expression which must be laid at the feet of the screenplay. There was good intrigue with the reporter's investigation, and the action had elements of All the President's Men. But the contrasting elements were more like Three Days of the Condor, and if felt as though they couldn't decide on which it would rather be. The investigation line was more interesting than was the fugitive portion.

Not to give away the plot, but it was also implausible that a key character of a certain ilk would entertain the idea of giving herself up in order to save and innocent man.

Still, the picture is very watchable, and holds one's attention through the efforts of this veteran production.

Doc's rating: 6/10

GT1
Just watched the Road again and the Revenant both an 8 for me.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Last Tango in Paris - 8/10
I've seen this at least a handful of times... Didn't like it in my teens, loved it in my 20s, now it's leveled off (maybe because of so many viewings?).

EDIT: Maybe its human nature, but I noticed how she is so attracted to him when he's despicable, but is turned off when he tries to be honest and more gentle.

1917 (War, Drama)

The trailer gave me the impression there would be at least one big epic battle scene, but actually I had the feeling there would be two, and I thought a large chunk of the movie would focus on battle. There was an excitement and a lot of action in the trailer, but the movie itself was very different from the way the trailer presented it. I get the feeling the trailer was trying to lure people to the theater rather than attempt to portray what the film would actually be like. Nevertheless it was a very good movie. It wasn't a masterpiece, but I appreciated it for standing out among the massive amount of war films that exist as something a little different. By far the best feature was the cinematography. The way the film was shot made it feel like one seamless take. They did a good job of disguising cuts so that you couldn't notice them, and followed the characters every step of the way. The only time skip was a point when the character they were focusing on got knocked unconscious and woke up some hours later. Other times, although it followed the character without breaking for the passage of time, it made it seem like more time had gone by than actually had. I think it represented how we can loose track of time when we're caught up in the moment. They did a good job of keeping the audience entertained while following the character every step of the way with dialogue while they were travelling. The sets and scenery were beautiful, and they succeeded in capturing the essence of war.

it won't let me delete it, sorry guys.

I watched Wait Until Dark. It kinda reminded me of Dail M for Muder - limited setting, a tight plot with fixed characters, adapted from theatre and good mystery. It's so difficult to not like Hepburn, though I am still firmly team Grace Kelly.

As for this movie, I enjoyed it - particularly a young Alan Arkin's performance.

Unregistered User

Dogman (2018)

A simple story told and acted really well. Stays tense throughout, leading up to a powerful finale and I loved the bleak and desolate feel to it.
Good show.

Bad Lieutenant (1992)

I had watched this when it was new but didn't remember much (just a few scenes). Keitel does a phenomenal job as an a-hole who plunges his life down with alcohol, drugs and really irresponsible gambling. There's no complex plot in this film but a steady downward spiral for its lead which is kinda accompanied by the rape of a young catholic nun that he's investigating. Ferrara doesn't try to please his viewers and the film leaves a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and I don't think it's about redemption per se (more like a mockery of that). Good and bold film none the less.

1917 (2019) - 8.2/10. Simply blown away. The effort required to do this movie is unreal. The performances, editing, cinematography, background score all hit the sweet spot. Bagful of golden statues I guess.

Bad Lieutenant (1992)

I had watched this when it was new but didn't remember much (just a few scenes). Keitel does a phenomenal job as an a-hole who plunges his life down with alcohol, drugs and really irresponsible gambling. There's no complex plot in this film but a steady downward spiral for its lead which is kinda accompanied by the rape of a young catholic nun that he's investigating. Ferrara doesn't try to please his viewers and the film leaves a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and I don't think it's about redemption per se (more like a mockery of that). Good and bold film none the less.

Brilliant movie, but here in the States only a bowdlerized version is available now. Some idiot decided that we can’t view the original cut. So disappointing as I well remember now good it was.

True story documentary of a French criminal who impersonated the missing son of an American family. Strange thing is the family believed him until he was exposed. Turns out he is a serial identity thief. Very very creepy guy, but very interesting story. And BTW, the missing teenage son has never been found.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Eye for an Eye (Paco Plaza, 2019)
6/10
Mister 880 (Edmund Goulding, 1950)
- 6.5/10
Britt-Marie Was Here (Tuva Novotny, 2019)
- 5.5/10
Once Upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone, 1984)
6.5/10 229 m

Not the way Woods thinks.
Deadcon (Caryn Waechter, 2019)
+ 4.5/10
Earth (Aleksandr Dovzhenko, 1930)
6/10
The Secret 6 (George Hill, 1931)
5.5/10
Blessed Event (Roy Del Ruth, 1932)
6.5/10

Fast-talking gossip columnist.Lee Tracy will have to settle for two out of three.
Week-End at the Waldorf (Robert Z. Leonard, 1945)
6/10
Jezebel (Numa Perrier, 2019)
+ 5/10
Is My Face Red? (William A. Seiter, 1932)
6/10
Goldman v Silverman (Josh and Benny Safdie, 2020)
6/10

The title characters (Adam Sandler and Benny Safdie) battle it out in Tines Square.
Le Quattro Volte (Michelangelo Frammartino, 2010)
6/10
Songs My Brothers Taught Me (Chloé Zhao, 2015)
5.5/10
Troop Zero (Bert & Bertie, 2019)
+ 6/10
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (Joachim Rønning, 2019)
+ 6/10

Maleficent (Angelina Jolie) isn't talking about the food. Her goddaughter (Elle Fanning) looks on.
Respectable - The Mary Millington Story (Simon Sheridan, 2016)
6.5/10
Greener Grass (Jocelyn DeBoer & Dawn Luebbe, 2019)
6/10
Gang Busters (Bill Karn, 1953)
5/10
Motherless Brooklyn (Edward Norton, 2019)
- 6.5/10 well=made but obvious

Gumshoe Edward Norton with Tourette's Syndrome dances with activist Gugu Mbatha-Raw in a Harlem club, not fully understanding the corruption and lies surrounding them.

Motherless Brooklyn (Edward Norton, 2019)
- 6.5/10 well=made but obvious

Gumshoe Edward Norton with Tourette's Syndrome dances with activist Gugu Mbatha-Raw in a Harlem club, not fully understanding the corruption and lies surrounding them.
I tried to watch this today but didn't finish. It didn't really strike me as that well made either. And again, the whole characterization of the lead is replaced by a single issue/trauma (Tourette in this case which didn't add anything at least to the first half I watched).