the best filmakers of the decade

Tools    

What do you think the best filmakers of the 2010s?
My champion is Ceylan and Kore-eda

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I would say Bong Joon-ho is the best director right now, because of Parasite.

Taika Waititi

Boy (2010)
What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Jojo Rabbit (2019)

In my opinion, one of the most unique talents to really emerge through the course of this past decade, even though his debut came just before. In a decade that sadly has seen all too few comedies of quality, Waititi has undoubtedly shone through, with very much a blend of comedy and drama, to the point where any new film that he releases is now something to genuinely looking forward to, in addition to his revitalization of Thor in the MCU demonstrating that he can handle big budget and action also.

In no particular order:

• Abel Ferrara
• Hong Sang-soo
• Abbas Kiarostami
• Lav Diaz
• Johnnie To
• Jean-Luc Godard
• Frederick Wiseman
• Pierre-Yves Vandeweerd
• Jean-Claude Rousseau
• Clint Eastwood
• Manoel de Oliveira
• Jean-Marie Straub
• Pedro Costa
• Terrence Malick
• Patrick Wang
• Christian Petzold
• James Benning

What do you think the best filmakers of the 2010s?
My champion is Ceylan and Kore-eda
Great choices.

Kore-eda would be my choice. Followed by:

Denis Villeneuve
Pawel Pawlikowski
Andrea Arnold
Alfonso Cuaron
Pedro Almodovar
Xavier Dolan
Ruben Ostlund
Lynne Ramsay

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In no particular order:
Surprisingly wholesome choices, but you need to add some Eugene Green to your diet.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

In no particular order:
Surprisingly wholesome choices, but you need to add some Eugene Green to your diet.
I like Eugene Green a good bit too! So far I've only managed to see Son of Joseph, La Sapienza, and "How Fernando Pessoa Saved Portugal". All really solid, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I like Eugene Green a good bit too!
Watch his three first full-lengths (not this decade, but his best). And gimme your RYM/Letterboxd/what-have-you NOW!

I've spent a lot of time watching older films for the last several years. The director I like the best is Christopher Nolan.(Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, Intersteller, and Dunkirk this decade) I also thought La La Land was well directed.I honestly cannot say who is the best but I thought the above were well directed.

“I was cured, all right!”
Some directors that didn't disappointed me:
Cristian Mungiu
Ceylan
S. Craig Zahler
Park Chan-wook
Lee Jeong-beom
Na Hong-jin
Kim Jee-woon
Gareth Evans
Chad Stahelski
Hou Hsiao-hsien