Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Clipped Wings (Edward Bernds, 1953)
5/10
Live Twice, Love Once AKA Vivir dos veces (Maria Ripoll, 2019)
6.5/10
Courage of Black Beauty (Harold D. Schuster, 1957)
5/10
Pain and Glory (Pedro Almodóvar, 2019)
6.5/10

Actor Asier Etxeandia warns depressed, unhealthy writer/director Antonio Banderas.
The Adventures of Jane Arden (Terry Morse, 1939)
+ 5/10
The Big Night (Joseph Losey, 1951)
5.5/10
The Girls in the Band (Judy Chaikin, 2011)
6.5/10
Gemini Man (Ang Lee, 2019)
6/10

Retired government hitman Will Smith explains Gemini to DIA agent Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Strangler vs. Strangler (Slobodan Sijan, 1981)
6/10
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Denis Sanders, 1970)
6.5/10
Huddle (Sam Wood, 1932)
5/10
Bombshell (Jay Roach, 2019)
- 6.5/10

The women (Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman & Margot Robbie) at Fox News can't wait to get out of there and away from Roger Ailes (John Lithgow).
Betty White: First Lady of Television (Steve Boettcher, 2019)
6.5/10
Ricordi? (Valerio Mieli, 2018)
+ 6/10
The Marathon Family (Slobodan Sijan, 1982)
- 6.5/10
Last Christmas (Paul Feig, 2019)
6/10

Holiday fantasy about literal broken hearts (Olivia Wilde's) and her overbearing mom (Emma Thompson)
Kapò (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1960)
+ 6.5/10
Frankie and Johnny (Frederick de Cordova, 1966)
5/10
The Bridge (Bernhard Wicki, 1959)
6.5/10
Kid-Thing (David Zellner, 2012)
5.5/10

Hilarious trailer, but the movie may disturb most.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Disturbing the Peace

York Shackleton directs this film that has quite an interesting story: A decade after accidentally shooting his partner, who was held hostage at gunpoint. a former Texas Ranger has given up the gun. Now the Marshall of a small town, he is forced to once again pick up the gun when a biker gang invades the town with the intent to pull off a heist. Guy Pearce is great in the lead role...I mean this actor is great in any role he takes and Devon Sawa does a bit OTT but still pretty good as biker leader Diablo. There are some twists to the plot and fans of the classic Hee Haw series will get their jollies with an actor who plays the interim mayor of the town as he resembles and sounds like the late great Archie Campbell.

The Proposition (2005)

This is a brutal Australian western that I had higher expectations for. It has good ratings and a cast that includes Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Emily Watson, and John Hurt. It's well made and has some intense scenes. It just wasn't compelling enough to be anything more than average.

Re-watch of a very good movie from Argentina.

Had a very bad weekend & this documentary was so adorable & it helped me through. Watched it twice because there is nothing more adorable than a baby panda.

Re-watch. Very very long & I have zero interest in the American Civil War, but it’s a good movie.

In the Realm of the Senses (1976)

I watched this because I had heard it was disturbing and good. I found it to be more nauseating than disturbing, and pretty much a bore. Some good color and shots but mostly a waste for this viewer.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Finished my rewatch of the whole series. I don't remember why I hated this initially but on a second try, it was quite entertaining. Effects and action, in general, look better than ever and while the story has some holes and a ton of cliches, it's still the second-best entry in the franchise. It even brought the fun I was asking about in my comments on the previous film back and pushed the pedagogics to the back.

(yes, I god-damn tripled my rating)

Welcome to the human race...
American Beauty -

Crash (2004)

kind of wonder what percentage of Best Picture winners are actually good now

FORD V FERRARI
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

American Beauty (Drama)

I love this movie. It's not an artistic masterpiece on the level of Ozu or Bergman, it doesn't have that hint of artistry, but it's technically flawless. Every technical aspect is excellent, the cinematography, the acting, the writing, the directing, I can't find any flaw. But what makes this movie truly great is the story, plot, and themes. This is a movie that celebrates life, it's about life and death, truth and deception, and is brutally honest in its depiction of everything. The story revolves around a family that appears normal on the surface but is complex and weird beneath the surface, and doesn't apologize for it. Gradually as the movie moves on it becomes more bold and less ashamed of the truth about life. What is normal? At times you don't notice the cinematography, and at other times the composition is the main focus. The characters are criticised thoroughly and the culmination is a mixture of lust, heartbreak, devotion, and murder. There are moments that make me cheer, make me laugh, make me swell with joy, and make me sympathise and understand even with the worst of people. There is an incredible understanding of life in this movie. There is one scene where Spacey's character is at an upper class party bored out of his mind when a young waiter identifies himself as the boy who just moved in next door. He says hi and there is an awkward pause. Spacey wonders why the boy is still there. The boy asks him if he likes to party. "Excuse me?" Spacey asks. "Do you like to get high?" Suddenly Spacey lights up like this boring party is about to get interesting. They're out back smoking weed, and the waiter's boss opens the door. "I'm not paying you to do whatever you're doing." He says in an aggressive tone. This is the kind of intimidation a boss may use to get his employee in line, but the boy is so bold and brave. "So don't pay me." "What?" His boss says, stammering. "I quit, so you don't have to pay me. Now leave me alone." The freedom blows Spacey's character away. It's incredible, this idea that in life you are free, and slavery is a state of mind. Spacey starts to live freely after the influence of this incredible young man who sees life like no one else, it captivates his daughter too who falls in love with the young man. I don't want to spoil too much, but this movie is full of incredible moments that move my heart and soul.

"Do you want to see the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced?" I'm paraphrasing, that's not an exact quote, but the boy asks the girl and shows her a video of a plastic bag being blown by the wind. He describes an epiphany he had when he captured it on film, it was like a spirit dancing before him showing him that life was pure joy and there was nothing to fear. You watch as a plastic bag is blown in circles by the wind, dancing before you among the leaves, and it is spiritual and magnificent.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Dogman (Matteo Garrone, 2018)
6/10
Star Games (Greydon Clark, 1998)
3/10
Special Education (Goran Markovic, 1977)
+ 6/10
Little Women (Greta Gerwig, 2019)
- 7/10

Disowned Timothée Chalamet chases after poor, aspiring writer Saoirse Ronan.
Show Girl in Hollywood (Mervyn LeRoy, 1930)
5/10
Into the Ashes (Aaron Harvey, 2019)
6/10
Luz (Tilman Singer, 2018)
5/10
Damsel (David Zellner & Nathan Zellner, 2018)
6/10

Mia Wasikowska and Robert Pattinson in better days in the Old West, but who knows, everybody in this world is crazy.
Reflections (Goran Markovic, 1987)
6/10
Darkness Falls (Gerry Lively, 1999)
5/10
Double Edge (Amos Kollek, 1992)
6/10
Suzaki Paradise Red Light District (Yûzô Kawashima, 1956)
6/10

Unemployed Tatsuya Mihashi and Michiyo Aratama decide to take a chance in the title area with dozens of pimps and prostitutes.
The Juggler (Edward Dmytryk, 1953)
+ 6/10
Race Street (Edwin L. Marin, 1948)
- 5.5/10
Gambling House (Ted Tetzlaff, 1950)
6/10
The Time of Your Life (H.C. Potter, 1948)
6.5/10

Among those who pass the time at Nick's (William Bendix's) Pacific Street Saloon are James Cagney, Wayne Morris and Jeanne Cagney.
The Razor's Edge (Edmund Goulding, 1946)
6/10
Good Morning, Miss Dove (Henry Koster, 1955)
6.5/10
Washington Story (Robert Pirosh, 1952)
6/10
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz, 1950)
6.5/10

Charter boat captain John Garfield discusses the future with his wife (Phyllis Thaxter).

Haven't had a lot of time to watch films unfortunately but here is a list of what I've seen since last time I was on. Hopefully will get back to watching films soon, last few months I've been a carer to a relative after major health problems so haven't had much time for films or posting on here.

Just the film title and rating this time, typing on a tablet and I'm soooo slow on it compared to my broken computer...

Vice - 3
Long Shot - 3.5
Brittany Runs A Marathon - 3.5
Men In Black: International - 2.5
Child's Play(2019) - 3.5
Brightburn - 3.5
Anna - 3.5
Ma - 3.0
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 4.0
Rocketman - 3.5
High Life - 3.0
Lords of Chaos - 3.5