The Conners

Tools    

Just wrapped ep 3 and am glad to see that Beverly Rose's father got to see her and is not completely out of the picture. How fun was it to see Dan Aykroyd as one of Dan's poker players, probably the first time they've shared the screen since Blues Brothers 2000. I'm glad they brought back Katey Sagal too and I actually got a little lump in the throat when Dan accidentally called her Roseanne...sweet moment superbly played by Goodman.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just finished ep 2...the Ben/Darlene/David triangle is heating up quite nicely and I'm seeing another curve being thrown into this story that I didn't see coming...is it just me, or does Jackie seem to be attracted to be Ben? Yes, she's been encouraging Darlene to return to Ben but the way she talks about Ben keeps coming off as her fighting an attraction to him? Anybody else seeing this? Boy that would make for some explosive comedy and drama because you know the minute Jackie makes a move on Ben, Darlene will lose it, even if she is leaning toward David right now, because, even though she's in denial about it, Darlene is LOVING these two guys fighting over her. It was also great to see Meagan Fay return to the show as Austin's Grandma...for those who don't remember, Fey played Cathy Bowman on season 3 of Roseanne. I also have to reiterate my two basic problems with this reboot that have not changed...why has Becky been turned into a brainless bimbo for this reboot and when are they actually going to give Michael Fishman (DJ) something to do? Darlene and David's son, Mark is getting more screentime than Fishman and I'm bothered by that.

I haven't noticed what you're talking about with Jackie and Ben, but I'll watch for it in future episodes. It would certainly be an interesting plot twist if you're right.

I agree with you about Becky being made into a "brainless bimbo" for the reboot, and I have no idea why they're doing that. Her character wasn't like that in the original show.

But about Michael Fishman, I never thought he was a good actor when he was a kid, so maybe they're seeing it more now that he's an adult, and giving him less screentime because of it.

This show just gets better with each episode...I was initially angry when it appeared that Darlene was going to be allowed to slide during the flat tire scene because I really didn't buy that neither Ben nor David caught on to what was going on, but I was wrong and frankly, Darlene got exactly what she deserved. It was great to see a TV character actually suffer consequences for their behavior. Jay R Ferguson was excellent in that final scene with Sara Gilbert, who actually exhibited the ability to fill her eyes with water, something I don't think ever saw from her in the nine seasons Roseanne was originally on the air. I loved seeing that flashback of David and Darlene too, which brings me to another thing...what was the point of bringing Johnny Galecki back for a few episodes only to have him leave again? I guess he'll be dropping in to see the kids, which would make him recurring instead of a regular again...guess he's hoping for a Big Bang Theory reboot. Big thumbs up to ep 4.

This show just gets better with each episode...I was initially angry when it appeared that Darlene was going to be allowed to slide during the flat tire scene because I really didn't buy that neither Ben nor David caught on to what was going on, but I was wrong and frankly, Darlene got exactly what she deserved. It was great to see a TV character actually suffer consequences for their behavior. Jay R Ferguson was excellent in that final scene with Sara Gilbert, who actually exhibited the ability to fill her eyes with water, something I don't think ever saw from her in the nine seasons Roseanne was originally on the air. I loved seeing that flashback of David and Darlene too, which brings me to another thing...what was the point of bringing Johnny Galecki back for a few episodes only to have him leave again? I guess he'll be dropping in to see the kids, which would make him recurring instead of a regular again...guess he's hoping for a Big Bang Theory reboot. Big thumbs up to ep 4.

I knew that both David and Ben would show up as soon as Darlene said that she "texted a bunch of people because she didn't know if they were going through". I'm glad that she got what she deserved, and I think that Ben deserves better than her, so I'm hoping that the show isn't keeping them working together so that they'll get back together again.

I hope they find a way to keep Johnny Galecki on the show as a regular. I'd prefer to see him in "The Big Bang Theory", but since that's not going to happen, hopefully he'll at least stay on this show.

Ep 5 had some fun stuff, even if the show didn't take as much care in the Halloween episode as the original show did. Glad to see Darlene having to work to get Ben back but the idea of Jackie and Becky re-opening the Lunchbox just seems recycled and lazy. How is Backy going to raise a child and co-manage a restaurant? Especially this Backy 2.0 for the reboot who has been turned into an idiot. That scene of Darlene's grand gesture to Ben blowing up in her face was brilliant.

Ep 5 had some fun stuff, even if the show didn't take as much care in the Halloween episode as the original show did. Glad to see Darlene having to work to get Ben back but the idea of Jackie and Becky re-opening the Lunchbox just seems recycled and lazy. How is Backy going to raise a child and co-manage a restaurant? Especially this Backy 2.0 for the reboot who has been turned into an idiot. That scene of Darlene's grand gesture to Ben blowing up in her face was brilliant.

I loved the parts with Darlene and Ben, but the rest of the episode was pretty dumb. Apparently Becky is planning to bring the baby to work with her at The Lunchbox. She made some stupid comment about the baby being the "greeter" at the front door because customers won't get mad at a baby if there's a long wait.

Ep 6 was a little odd...I don't understand why Darlene is stomping on Jackie and Becky's dream. If they want to fail, let them. I can't believe she would rather sacrifice her relationships with her sister and her aunt over the Lunchbox. Harris' friend Odessa was weird too...at first glance, I thought we were going to learn that they were lovers. For me, this ep was the first real misstep of the season, not up to the quality I've gotten accustomed to from this show.

Ep 6 was a little odd...I don't understand why Darlene is stomping on Jackie and Becky's dream. If they want to fail, let them. I can't believe she would rather sacrifice her relationships with her sister and her aunt over the Lunchbox. Harris' friend Odessa was weird too...at first glance, I thought we were going to learn that they were lovers. For me, this ep was the first real misstep of the season, not up to the quality I've gotten accustomed to from this show.

I think Darlene is doing the right thing with The Lunch Box. It's not just about Jackie and Becky's dream. It's also about the money. Neither of them has a good track record with money, or even just sticking with things they say they're going to do. They're likely to fail, and they're being unfair to put Darlene in that position. If Darlene is telling the truth about there being another offer from a "real" company, then the right thing for her to do it to take the safe route with the real offer. Jackie and Becky should just find a different location if they think they can successfully run a restaurant.

I hate the whole plotline with Harris' friend Odessa. It just seems like a rehash of the same storyline in the original series, when Becky and Mark took Dan's motorcycle out for a joyride without permission.

Just watched the Thanksgiving episode which was nothing short of brilliant. Some of the best episodes of the original series were the Thanksgiving episodes and this one was a worthy follow-up. The confrontation between Jackie and Darlene was worth the price of admission alone. As usual, some really smart writing helped.

Just finished a bittersweet ep 8. I loved that Jay R Ferguson came back and helped Mark with his project. LOVING the hate/hate relationship between Jackie and Louise (Katey Sagal). It's nice seeing Darlene getting some karma for some of the stuff she put Roseanne through. Loved when she was yelling at the window about Harris being on meth and I loved Dan's battle with the smoke alarms. Jackie's nightmare was also hysterical

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm only watching for the hell of it, and it's only 15 minutes long, but the writing could have been done by a kid. I wasn't crazy about the first re-boot, but I'm curious how it would have ended up. I'm wondering if the networks are advertising the hell out of it for spite. Funny how they keep mentioning Roseanne.

Loved the Xmas episode...it sucks that Darlene lost her job but I'm glad that she and Ben got back together...I don't know what it is about Sara and Jay, but they work really well together. Am also loving the relationship between Louise and Jackie. Laurie Metcalf is one of the most gifted actresses in the business. The final scene between Dan and Becky was very sweet...reminded me of that episode a million years ago when Roseanne forced Dan to spend time with Becky at the mall.

Loved the Xmas episode...it sucks that Darlene lost her job but I'm glad that she and Ben got back together...I don't know what it is about Sara and Jay, but they work really well together. Am also loving the relationship between Louise and Jackie. Laurie Metcalf is one of the most gifted actresses in the business. The final scene between Dan and Becky was very sweet...reminded me of that episode a million years ago when Roseanne forced Dan to spend time with Becky at the mall.

I'm not surprised that Darlene and Ben got back together because they have great chemistry together, but he deserves better than her. It's kind of a shame because it probably means that we won't be seeing much of Johnny Galecki as David anymore.

I always loved Laurie Metcalf as Jackie. She was the funniest character on the original show, and she's just as funny on this show. I think the tension between Jackie and Louise will continue for a while, but it will probably be toned back a bit so it doesn't drive Dan completely crazy.

It occurred to me that there are some other characters from the original series that I wouldn't mind seeing pop up here...what about Jackie's ex, Fred (Michael O'Keefe)? Or what about Jackie and Fred's son, Andy? Or Dan and Rosey's 4th child, Jerry, that they had in season 8? Or how about having Joan Collins pop up as Rosey's cousin Ronnie? I wouldn't even mind seeing Arnie (Tom Arnold) and Nancy (Sandra Bernhard) show up.

It occurred to me that there are some other characters from the original series that I wouldn't mind seeing pop up here...what about Jackie's ex, Fred (Michael O'Keefe)? Or what about Jackie and Fred's son, Andy? Or Dan and Rosey's 4th child, Jerry, that they had in season 7? Or how about having Joan Collins pop up as Rosey's cousin Ronnie? I wouldn't even mind seeing Arnie (Tom Arnold) and Nancy (Sandra Bernhard) show up.

It's been a long time since I watched the original show, but was Jackie still married to Fred when the series ended? I don't remember them breaking up, but I don't remember Fred being in the final season either? Did they explain what happened with Fred and their son?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's been a long time since I watched the original show, but was Jackie still married to Fred when the series ended? I don't remember them breaking up, but I don't remember Fred being in the final season either? Did they explain what happened with Fred and their son?

Probably killed in one of our many wars.

If memory serves, Jackie and Fred were definitely separated when the original show ended but I don't know if they were actually divorced. I do know that Jackie definitely had custody of Andy. She had Andy with her when the Conners won the lottery during the final season.