Live Oscar Nominations

Tools    

Is it me or did they skip the Supporting Actor and Actress, and the Visual and Sound Effects categories?
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Welcome to the human race...
Nah, I definitely saw them. The broadcast started at 5:18 a.m. PT, listed those nominees, took a five-minute break, and then resumed at 5:30.

Nice to see 'Pain and Glory' and 'Parasite' nominated. But as usual it is mainly a backslapping exercise for egos. No Awkwafina, No Monos, No Mica Levi, No Ta Zhao, No Willem Dafoe (that one is ridiculous), no Robert Pattinson, no Song Kang-ho (Parasite), no J-Lo.

Everyone champions their favourite films but the amount of British and American nominations is just silly. Especially for the screenplay, acting and cinematography awards.

Best Picture
  • "Ford v. Ferrari"
  • "The Irishman"
  • "Jojo Rabbit"
  • "Joker"
  • "Little Women"
  • "Marriage Story"
  • "1917"
  • "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
  • "Parasite"
Actress in a Leading Role
  • Cynthia Erivo, "Harriet"
  • Saoirse Ronan, "Little Women"
  • Charlize Theron, "Bombshell"
  • Scarlett Johansson, "Marriage Story"
  • Renee Zellweger, "Judy"
Actor in a Leading Role
  • Antonio Banderas, "Pain and Glory"
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
  • Adam Driver, "Marriage Story"
  • Joaquin Phoenix, "Joker"
  • Jonathan Pryce, "The Two Popes"
Best Director
  • Martin Scorsese, "The Irishman"
  • Todd Phillips, "Joker"
  • Sam Mendes, "1917"
  • Quentin Tarantino, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
  • Bong Joon-ho, "Parasite"
Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Tom Hanks, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"
  • Al Pacino, "The Irishman"
  • Joe Pesci, "The Irishman"
  • Anthony Hopkins, "The Two Popes"
  • Brad Pitt, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
Actress in a Supporting Role
  • Kathy Bates, "Richard Jewell"
  • Laura Dern, "Marriage Story"
  • Scarlett Johansson, "Jojo Rabbit"
  • Florence Pugh, "Little Women"
  • Margot Robbie, "Bombshell"
Costume Design
  • "The Irishman"
  • "Jojo Rabbit"
  • "Joker"
  • "Little Women"
Film Editing
  • "Ford V. Ferrari"
  • "The Irishman"
  • "Jojo Rabbit"
  • "Joker"
  • "Parasite"
Original Score
  • "Joker"
  • "Little Women"
  • "Marriage Story"
  • "1917"
  • "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker"
Animated Short Film
  • "Dcera (Daughter)"
  • "Hair Love"
  • "Kitbull"
  • "Memorable"
  • "Sister"
Live Action Short Film
  • "Brotherhood"
  • "Nefta Football Club"
  • "The Neighbor’s Window"
  • "Saria"
  • "A Sister"
Sound Mixing
  • "Ad Astra"
  • "Ford v Ferrari"
  • "Joker"
  • "1917"
Sound Editing
  • "Ford v Ferrari"
  • "Joker"
  • "1917"
  • "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’
Original Song
  • "I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away" - "Toy Story 4"
  • "I’m Gonna Love Me Again" – "Rocketman"
  • "I’m Standing With You" – "Breakthrough"
  • "Into The Unknown" – "Frozen 2"
  • "Stand Up" – "Harriet"
International Feature Film
  • "Corpus Christi"
  • "Honeyland"
  • "Les Miserables"
  • "Pain and Glory"
  • "Parasite"
Documentary Short
  • "In the Absence"
  • "Learning to Skateboard in a War Zone If You’re a Girl"
  • "Life Overtakes Me"
  • "St. Louis Superman"
  • "Walk Run Cha-Cha"
Documentary Feature
  • "American Factory"
  • "The Cave"
  • "The Edge of Democracy"
  • "For Sama"
  • "Honeyland"
Production Design
  • "The Irishman"
  • "Jojo Rabbit"
  • "1917"
  • Parasite"
Cinematography
  • "The Irishman"
  • "Joker"
  • "The Lighthouse"
  • "1917"
Visual Effects
  • "Avengers: Endgame"
  • "The Irishman"
  • "The Lion King"
  • "1917"
  • "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker"
Animated Feature Film
  • "How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World""
  • "I Lost My Body"
  • "Klaus"
  • "Missing Link"
  • "Toy Story 4"
Makeup and Hairstyling
  • "Bombshell"
  • "Joker"
  • "Judy"
  • "Maleficent: Mistress of Evil"
  • "1917"
Adapted Screenplay
  • Taika Waititi, "Jojo Rabbit"
  • Steve Zaillian, "The Irishman"
  • Anthony McCarten, "The Two Popes"
  • Greta Gerwig, "Little Women"
  • Todd Phillips and Scott Silver, "Joker"
Original Screenplay
  • "Knives Out"
  • "Marriage Story"
  • "1917"
  • "Parasite"

Nice to see 'Pain and Glory' and 'Parasite' nominated. But as usual it is mainly a backslapping exercise for egos. No Awkwafina, No Monos, No Mica Levi, No Ta Zhao, No Willem Dafoe (that one is ridiculous), no Robert Pattinson, no Song Kang-ho (Parasite), no J-Lo.

Everyone champions their favourite films but the amount of British and American nominations is just silly. Especially for the screenplay, acting and cinematography awards.
Just realized how many actors were snubbed. Jennifer Lopez seemed like a lock. Her performace was actually really good in Hustlers. Adam Sandler and Uncut Gems got no love at all from the Academy. Eddie Murphy as well.

Haven't seen it, but I have a feeling Dafoe missing for The Lighthouse is a complete joke.

Pitt, Pesci, Hopkins, Pacino, Hanks- haven't seen The Two Popes but the other four were amazing.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Pitt, Pesci, Hopkins, Pacino, Hanks- haven't seen The Two Popes but the other four were amazing.
I didn't see Hopkins or Pitt yet but yes it was loaded

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
Hi, everyone. I haven't been on here much, but recently enjoyed Little Women with my wife on Christmas, despite the original edit of Godfather 2 jumping around-style editing it had and some to-be-desired aging effects. Ronan's killing it and I'm a sucker for Chalamet (Beautiful Boy=).

Anyhow, eager to watch 1917, love the idea of the cinematography and given the guy's portfolio, I hope Deakins wins it. Then again, I'm always open to alternatives as I don't usually see many movies "on time."

I came back to our lovely site today just to say I'm so happy that Joe Pesci got nominated for The Irishman. I really enjoyed the film, but Pesci was so good and nuanced to me, so good job, Academy! AngryJoeShow said Dafoe was really good in The Lighthouse, so that's a bummer. Even with Pacino as my fave actor, I'd swap him out for Dafoe. Academy can't always get it right, I guess. I liked Pacino's effort in The Irishman, was surprised by it actually, and maybe the nom means he'll actually be there, but a nom seems a bit much. I only saw "Hoffa" once, so I'm not sure how he stacks up to Nicholson's turn.

What do y'all think of the noms?

1917 could win...but I still think Tarantino will win either director or picture. Wonder what will win screenplay. Already put my request in for an off day, hope I get it. Always love watching my Oscars! Last year was really fun with y'all too. Updates on that: I really liked Green Book.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't see a Tarantino film winning best picture so I'm wondering what will win. The favorite hasn't won for quite sometime now. Maybe since The Artist?

Here's my picks, didn't do this last year, so looking forward to seeing how I do!

https://www.movieforums.com/oscars/picks/user98274.html

Going with my heart on some of those, as it seems most folks loved Pitt. Depends on if Joaquin will win this one, too. Technical awards always stump me, it seems. Usually feel like they give one movie too many of them, but oh well.

Wife wanted to see JoJo Rabbit, but it didn't come to our local theater. We don't get many arthouse movies. Was shocked when they actually had Goldfinch and Peanut Butter Falcon.

If Ronan doesn't win, it's nice to see some lesser nominated names there, for both lead and supporting. Surprised Frozen 2 got snubbed, wife won't like that, ha-ha.

Lots of movies on there I haven't seen yet, and I never get to see the shorts or foreign ones. How is the CG in 1917? I liked the costumes in Little Women...vibing from what usually wins a few awards, I picked Marriage Story for one of the awards since people are talking about that one a lot.

I did love the editing in The Irishman, especially if you compare it to Little Women, since both movies involve a lot of time-jumping.

I don't see a Tarantino film winning best picture so I'm wondering what will win. The favorite hasn't won for quite sometime now. Maybe since The Artist?
I don't know, man. I read the spoilers for it and it seems right up the Academy's alley, but we shall see. I like the message behind it. Yeah, Artist made for a pretty dismal viewing night for me and the wife. I can't recall a different movie that won anything else that night, lol!

I loved The Artist, why didn't you like it?
I still haven't seen it. Haven't seen any silent films, so -10,000 cinephile points for that.

I was speaking from the perspective that it kept winning that night, so it made for a boring time. When a good mix of movies wins here and there, it makes for more speculation and chat for me and the wife on why it won, what it's about, how the actor/designer did, as opposed to one movie just winning every time, especially when we haven't seen it like The Artist that night.

To be fair, that was back when we didn't know as much about the movies as we do now, as we've started going to the movies a lot more in recent years.

It just deflates our evening, really, when one movie keeps winning. Plus it means less variation to the speeches, outfits, and whatnot. Really glad I didn't watch the Oscars when Titanic & LOTR won everything.

Can anyone explain to me Emma Watson's place in Little Women? I mean, she was fine and all, but she's the only daughter with a British accent. My wife said since her character hangs out with the rich kids the most, it's like her "sophisticated/posh" accent. But I still don't think it was wise. Surely she can do an American accent, can't she? Especially when being in a movie with Ronan who whisks away her own.