Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

9 out of 10....WHAT THE HELL! I would have gave it 10/10!
You're the man!
Prost and Luck

Could've gave it a 10

Starring the Sultan of Swat, The Titan of Terror, The Colossus of Clout (the Colossus of Clout), The Great Bambino, Babe Ruth as, you guessed it, George Herman Ruth. I wasn't really expecting anything except a bunch of old films of Maharajah of Mash mashing and playing, playing and mashing, which I could watch for days, but instead got a real movie. Not necessarily a good one but amusing nonetheless about the King of Crash and his journey from small town ice wrangler to the big league stardom. Had some fun with the title cards, mostly trying to decipher some of that 1920's slang.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
On Golden Pond (1981)

2 1/2? Why such a low rating for this classic?

I agree with @Gideon58. I love On Golden Pond, and I would have rated it much higher. At least a
, maybe even a

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (Carol Dysinger, 2019)
- 6.5/10
National Class Category Up to 785 Ccm (Goran Markovic, 1979)
+ 5/10
Harriet (Kasi Lemmons, 2019)
6/10
The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks, 1946)
7/10

You'd be good in this.
Double Tap (Greg Yaitanes, 1997)
-.5/10
Kamikaze 1989 (Wolf Gremm, 1982)
6/10
Slaughter Trail (Irving Allen, 1951)
5/10
The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
+ 8/10

Yeah.
The Emoji Movie (Tony Leondis, 2017)
5/10
Raise Hell: The Life & Times of Molly Ivins (Janice Engel, 2019)
6.5/10
Bigfoot Girl (Jason Mills, 2019)
5/10
Honeyland (Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Simple tale of beekeeping in Macedonia shows how the human race interacts with nature and itself.
Scandal: The Trial of Mary Astor (Alexa Foreman, 2018)
- 6.5/10
Mary (Michael Goi, 2019)
- 5/10
The Amazing Johnathan Documentary (Benjamin Berman, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Variola Vera (Goran Markovic, 1982)
+ 6/10

Were all the victims quarantined in Yugoslavia in 1972 really caused by smallpox?
Running with the Devil (Jason Cabell, 2019)
+ 5/10
Ejercicios de memoria AKA Memory Exercises (Paz Encina, 2016)
6/10
Trick (Patrick Lussier, 2019)
5/10
Samurai Sensei (Kazushi Watanabe, 2018)
+ 6/10

Time-traveling samurai Ryo Nishikido learns from his modern students about the iPhone.

The Gentlemen (2019) 9/10 it reminds me of snatch,lock, stock and two smoking barrels and it has great casting especially hugh grant (love his old school movies) ,matthew mcConaughey (love his old school movies), colin farrell (love his old school movies) and loved michelle dockery shes one of my favorites from downtown abbey

Avengers: Endgame (2019, Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

I liked Infinity War more. Better story, better overall execution, better ending - Endgame just felt lacking in comparison.

Titanic (1997)

When the ship docks, I'm getting off with you. This is it, oh god, oh god.

9.0 / 10

Do Not Let Go

It has become oddly cool and acceptable for so many movie buffs to bash Titanic and give it a low rating.

Screw those guys!

I love Titanic. It's a great American classic that deserved all the money, accolades and awards it received.
I give it a solid 5 out of 5.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

⬆️ I love Titanic. Epic movie.

Couple of rewatches...

Jurassic Park (1993)

This one has aged surprisingly well. Characters are really one-dimensional but still sort of likable. The story is told quite neutrally and focuses on fun instead of lecturing. Dinosaurs still look pretty good. I wasn't expecting to like this as much.

--

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

The sequel has much worse writing. It contradicts the original (in which the dinos were born in the main island), lectures about the nature preservation and tries to divide its characters into heroes and villains (while the true villain is ecoterrorist "hero" who's practically responsible for every single life lost in the film). Leading characters are still quite good though and dinos rock.

Marriage Story (2019)

Award season finally convinced me to watch this one, and I was kinda disappointed. Adam Driver was good, but not Best Actor good. As a young married man with a child myself, the story felt personal, though I never felt very emotional during the movie. Not a bad movie, but it didnt engage me at the level I was hoping for.

Marriage Story (2019)

Award season finally convinced me to watch this one, and I was kinda disappointed. Adam Driver was good, but not Best Actor good. As a young married man with a child myself, the story felt personal, though I never felt very emotional during the movie. Not a bad movie, but it didnt engage me at the level I was hoping for.
I had the same exact reaction to Marriage Story and gave it the same score.

It wasn't a bad movie, but I was expecting much more from it. There were a couple moments of sheer brilliance from both Driver and Johansson, but, overall, the movie didn't do much for me personally.

I still think Kramer Vs. Kramer, which this movie was trying to emulate in a way, is still the most effective movie about troubled marriages and divorce from the story and acting standpoints.

The Farewell (2019)

It's a little surprising that this film got so much attention. It's a "nice" story, but if you've read the teaser premise going in --that a family hides a terminal cancer diagnosis from it's matriarch so that she won't be stressed-- you've got the whole film. There's even a revelation at the end that makes one wonder what was the point of making the picture.

To be sure there was good acting and good ensemble work evident in most of the scenes which portray family gatherings. It was a nice change to see Tzi Ma (24, Arrival, Sky Scraper) play a family man. There were other good performances as well, but nothing outstanding.

The movie was nominated at the Golden Globes both for best foreign language film, musical or comedy; and Awkwafina for best actress. The comedy portions must have passed me by, although there were a few light-hearted moments. Awkwafina did nice work, but nothing particularly exceptional.

So I'm at a loss for the film's buzz. Perhaps it's a current fashion to promote Chinese cinema; or maybe Awkwafina's feminism gave her some plus points. It's not a bad film, it's just that it's a mediocre story which, if it had been about an American family in the U.S., we might never have heard of it.

Doc's rating: 5/10

Welcome to the human race...
I don't think you could've made it about an American family, though - it's established as a Chinese cultural practice and the core conflict rests on the one American-born member of the family not wanting to go along with the plan (plus they say it couldn't work in America anyway).

Son of Saul -

Hors Satan (2011)

Typically artistic take on the human condition by Bruno Dumont. It's not for everyone but I love his realism (neo-neo?). It's slow and ponderous. The acting is patchy and the story slight but the picture itself wins through. Such an almost bloody-mindedness to portray his vision it's hard not to applaud it.