VHS comedy era comedy Hall of fame III (1977-1989)

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Princess Bride (1987)

This is one of those rare movies that IMO has absolutely no flaws. It's a fun adventure that has a little bit of everything. It has drama, romance, humor, action, and adventure, plus a great story, great characters, an amazing cast, and more.

When I first saw this movie in the theater years ago, the only actors who I recognized were Chris Sarandon, Billy Crystal, and Peter Falk, but I quickly became a fan of many of the actors in the movie, especially Mandy Patinkin. I loved him as Inigo Montoya, and the scenes with Inigo, Fezzik and Vizzini are some of the funniest scenes in the movie.

My favorite scene is the swordfight between The Man in Black and Inigo Montoya. I consider this to be one of the greatest swordfights in movie history, however it seems that Inigo was a better swordsman, so he should have won the swordfight. Just look at the smoothness of the sword transfer when he switches from left-handed to right-handed. He doesn't miss a beat.

Even the annoying characters are fun and somehow likeable, especially Vizzini, Miracle Max and his wife, and even Prince Humperdinck.

And even though I've never been much of a fan of Fred Savage, I absolutely love the scenes with him and Peter Falk as his Grandpa.

Real Genius (1985)

This is another movie that I've seen so many times over the years that I've lost count. I've always thought this is a very funny movie, and after watching it again this week, my opinion hasn't changed. I still think this movie has some of the best one-liner jokes, and it still makes me laugh. This is easily my favorite Val Kilmer movie.

In most movies that focus on genius-type characters, the characters are boring or overbearing, but in this movie, most of the characters are fun. It feels like that's the point of the movie that some people seem to be missing.

Mitch is a young genius who only thinks about work and problem solving. Chris sees this, and knows from his own experience that there's more to life than just work, and he's trying to teach this to Mitch before he cracks from the pressure, just like Lazlo Hollyfeld, another genius he knows, did.

But of course, a movie about geniuses wouldn't be complete without the boring and obnoxious geniuses, like Kent and Professor Hathaway. And while Kent is everything we hate about geniuses, somehow, Professor Hathaway is still a fun, but obnoxious character. And it's a lot of fun watching Mitch, Chris and their friends get even with the "baddies" who deserve what they get.

And while the pros easily outweigh the cons in this movie, the only real con for me is the character Jordan. She's talks so fast that she's annoying, even though she should be one of the fun characters, and the romance between her and Mitch feels out of place in this movie.

But overall, this is a fun movie that is still one of my favorite comedies.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
nicely written.

I think I may be the only one who got a kick out of Jordon. Her manic, fast-paced speech and quirkiness was, and is, attractive.

The trick is not minding
nicely written.

I think I may be the only one who got a kick out of Jordon. Her manic, fast-paced speech and quirkiness was, and is, attractive.
I liked Jordan
I wish I could like Real Genius more, but it was incredibly implausible. I know there is to to be some suspension of disbelief when watching a film, but come on.
That said, Kilmer was funny, even if his part was a little overwritten.

I liked Jordan
I wish I could like Real Genius more, but it was incredibly implausible. I j ow there is to to be some suspension of disbelief when watching a film, but come on.
They did set him up to carry the film and he did succeed, showing that he had the ability to step up to top billing.
And yeah, the suspense of belief DOES go out the window, and, while I don't say this as an excuse but a simple fact, at the time of its release very similar formats, were widespread and the pranks and scenarios had escalated massively. Hence. . .

Happy to see a fellow appreciator of Jordan. I've always loved off-kilter people and have cherished the ones that I've encountered in my life.

nicely written.

I have a friend who talks very fast, just like Jordan, and it drives me nuts. He talks so fast that I can't understand half the things he says, so I'm constantly saying "what". It makes me feel like I'm hard of hearing sometimes.

I liked Jordan
I wish I could like Real Genius more, but it was incredibly implausible. I know there is to to be some suspension of disbelief when watching a film, but come on.
It's a comedy. It doesn't have to be plausible. It just has to be fun.

The trick is not minding
Went ahead and started to place my films that I’ve reviewed in order. The top 5 are firmly decided. I have to watch Broadcast News and The Blues Brothers this weekend, but unless they completely wow me, I don’t see my top 5 changing much. Can’t wait to see the results, and I don’t expect my picks to win this, but I will say I’ve enjoyed my first HOF thoroughly.

Went ahead and started to place my films that I’ve reviewed in order. The top 5 are firmly decided. I have to watch Broadcast News and The Blues Brothers this weekend, but unless they completely wow me, I don’t see my top 5 changing much. Can’t wait to see the results, and I don’t expect my picks to win this, but I will say I’ve enjoyed my first HOF thoroughly.
This was your first HoF? Cool I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this! I hope we can do another installment of the Comedy HoF. I forget what years Siddon said the next would be but whatever the years covered, it would be fun.

The trick is not minding
This was your first HoF? Cool I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this! I hope we can do another installment of the Comedy HoF. I forget what years Siddon said the next would be but whatever the years covered, it would be fun.
Think he said 1990 to either 2010 or current for next comedy iirc

Great then I already have two noms picked out for that One of them people might like. The other, people will probably hate.

we're going to stick with 15 year increments

1990-2004
2005-2020
Are you allowing animated movies? I have a couple ones I can pick out for these next ones.

After Hours

[after witnessing a murder through a window]
Paul Hackett: I'll probably get blamed for that.

Some guys have all the luck.
Others. . . not so much.

Enter, Paul Hackett, a word processor who meets a girl at a diner, gets her number, calls her later that night and she invites him over.
Nice bit of luck, right?

Uhhh. . . no where near.

Things spiral out of control and poor poor Paul cannot, for the life of him, get a break of any kind. Even when all he wants to do, is just go home.
He continually runs into one neurotic to the next. Each of them with a connection to the others and he is pinballed into "the worst night ever".

This is my third watch of this. All of them being documented here on the forum.
The first time on the Most Recently Watched Thread where I remarked on how frustrating it was to watch. There was everything that I should have enjoyed and did not.
My second watch was in the Second Chance HoF and the frustration had lessened and some appreciation began to grow.

Now?

Even less frustration and definitely more appreciation.
I even had the occasional chuckle. The quoted line above being one of them.
And has I commented in the previous HoF, and it does seem to come true: This film is growing on me.

Are you allowing animated movies? I have a couple ones I can pick out for these next ones.
hmm, that does sound like an intriguing prospect. Would love to see the outcome of that.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

I remember watching this movie back when it was in the theaters, and being amazed at how impressive the combination of animation and live action was back then. I'm still just as impressed with this movie today. The actors are so good that they make it feel like the animated characters are real. It makes it easy to feel all the emotions that the characters feel. There are some live action movies that I can't connect with the characters as well as I can connect with these characters.

I fell in love with Roger Rabbit, and I thought it was adorable when he and Jessica Rabbit were together, and she said she would make him a carrot cake. I thought the funniest characters were Benny the Cab and the animated bullets. The weasels were pretty funny too.

The actors were terrific in this movie too. I haven't seen Bob Hoskins in much, but I loved him in this movie. He does a great job of giving the movie a noir feeling. I also loved Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom. Somehow there always seems to be a little bit of Reverend Jim in everything he does.

I also loved that they were able to bring together both Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes characters and the Disney characters in the same movie. I loved the piano duet with Donald Duck and Daffy Duck. It's one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

I think I'm finished posting my reviews of all the movies. If I missed any, please let me know.

I sent in my ranked list. This was a tough HoF to rank the movies. Any of my top four could easily have been #1 on my list, and my #5 and #6 could easily have been #2 on my list if the top four weren't nominated.

Thanks everyone for picking some great movies. This was a fun HoF.

The trick is not minding
I think I'm finished posting my reviews of all the movies. If I missed any, please let me know.

I sent in my ranked list. This was a tough HoF to rank the movies. Any of my top four could easily have been #1 on my list, and my #5 and #6 could easily have been #2 on my list if the top four weren't nominated.

Thanks everyone for picking some great movies. This was a fun HoF.
This was indeed a great HOF. I enjoyed all but 2 so far, and with only 2 more to go (I promise to finish them starting this weekend!), I don’t expect that to change. It was hard to rank what I’ve watched so far, as in any other HOF, if certain ones were against lesser noms, they’d win. Such as it is, there were some pleasant first time watches.

This was indeed a great HOF. I enjoyed all but 2 so far, and with only 2 more to go (I promise to finish them starting this weekend!), I don’t expect that to change. It was hard to rank what I’ve watched so far, as in any other HOF, if certain ones were against lesser noms, they’d win. Such as it is, there were some pleasant first time watches.

It's always nice when you get to enjoy some movies that you hadn't seen before.

There were only a couple of first time watches for me. I had already seen most of the movies that were nominated in this HoF, so there weren't many surprises for me.

The trick is not minding

It's always nice when you get to enjoy some movies that you hadn't seen before.

There were only a couple of first time watches for me. I had already seen most of the movies that were nominated in this HoF, so there weren't many surprises for me.
Exactly half were first time watches. Although I was familiar with each one.
In contrast, with the Western HOF, I’ve seen only 3 of the 8, and in the 21st I’ve seen 4 of 10. Not too bad.