Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dolemite is My Name (2019)

+

This was not as laugh out loud funny as I expected, but it was still very entertaining. What really surprised me was that it turned out to be a movie with a warm story and characters. The whole cast was very good, and I think Eddie Murphy should get a shot at some more serious roles.
I loved it!

I have seen Ilsa stuff. They were a little bit better, if these films can be quantified as such! I am not that much into exploitation films in general. But do watch it from time to time. Just stumbled upon it, on an idle afternoon!

That being said, I am always open to suggestions!
Love Camp 7
SS Experiment Camp 2
Salon Kitty (Which is great!)
The Night Porter (Amazing film, very stylish and there is a Criterion Copy)
SS Camp 5: Women's Hell

There are several more out there.

The Mercenary (1968)

-

I believe I saw this movie referenced in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood so I think Tarantino is a fan. Sure enough, it's cool, fun, and at times a little over the top.

Love Camp 7
SS Experiment Camp 2
Salon Kitty (Which is great!)
The Night Porter (Amazing film, very stylish and there is a Criterion Copy)
SS Camp 5: Women's Hell

There are several more out there.
Funny thing is, most of these movies are Italian. I don't expect Germans disturbing the old cobwebs, but Italians?? 70s was a fun decade for them I guess!

Funny thing is, most of these movies are Italian. I don't expect Germans disturbing the old cobwebs, but Italians?? 70s was a fun decade for them I guess!
Do you want a German WWII film that is humiliating and disturbing?

Skin (2018)

-

I've seen a bunch of great movies this month. This movie has obvious comparisons to American History X, and I figured that going in. What I didn't figure on was that this would be in the same class as AHX, but surprisingly it was. It was tense and moving and is based on a fairly recent true story.

The first half was much better than the second half. The second half was so bad that it felt like it was among the worst big budget movies I ever watched, reminded me of crappiest Hollywood products like Batman and Robin, Catwomen, and The Scorpion King. Still the special effects were very good.

Rating: 7.5/10 first half, 3/10 second half, 5.25 on average.

Skin (2018)

-

I've seen a bunch of great movies this month. This movie has obvious comparisons to American History X, and I figured that going in. What I didn't figure on was that this would be in the same class as AHX, but surprisingly it was. It was tense and moving and is based on a fairly recent true story.
American History X has an identical story line, but this one is a real story like you said, I remember reading the article a long time ago, and seeing the tattoos on their face, you normally don't see skinheads with this type of determination, they're determined about the cause because they're mad with themselves. This had the vibe of Romper Stomper with Russell Crowe, a film I dislike. If you like this kind of movies be sure not to miss The Believer with Ryan Gosling, it's the best, very psychological movie, very interesting, I saw it a long time ago, I never though two religious, political extremism's could strongly live in the same person, the self-hating-jew, it's also one of the best or best performance Ryan Gosling ever made.

█ █ █ █ █
1/1 (2018)
Good cinematography and performance by the lead actress (Lindsey Shaw), but overall it feels bleak, the plot could be deeper explored.

BTW! I would really like to see Lindsey Shaw on a better movie than that. On a good movie, really. Does anyone has a recommendation? That was the first movie i saw featuring her.

Climax (2018)
The first movie by Gaspar Noé which i did not enjoy. Its damn radical, full of blinding red lights, but deep inside kind of goes nowhere.

Escape to Athena (1979)

Blimey! What a mess! Great cast (Savalas Cardinale, Niven) and a decent storyline but the 1st 1/2 of the film tries to be serious and comedic and it's woeful..... Elliot Gould and Sonny Bono the worst offenders, like 60's hippies but during the 2nd World War. Roger Moore is also funny but for different reasons. In the 2nd half get's down to business and is far better as an action movie.

Most bizarre cameo I've seen was William Holden on-screen for 5 seconds ...apparently travelled to the set to see his "squeeze* Stephanie Powers!

Excellent movie. Adam Driver killed in his rôle. Sad tale of a destroyed marriage & bitter divorce. Though it ends amicably.

Boldly going.
7/10. Netflix.
This is one of those topics and extreme points of view that I'm shy about looking at, partially for fear of being judged, and honestly, for fear of someone trying to recruit me. This documentary answered some questions and left me with others. An interesting documentary about civics and freedom of religion in America.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Christmas Story (Juha Wuolijoki, 2007)
+ 6/10
Schneider vs. Bax (Alex van Warmerdam, 2015)
+ 6/10
The View from Tall (Erica Weiss & Caitlin Parrish, 2016)
6/10
The Aeronauts (Tom Harper, 2019)
+ 6/10

In 1862, scientist Eddie Redmayne and pilot Felicity Jones have a very precarious yet record-setting balloon ascension.
End of Desire AKA Une vie (Alexandre Astruc, 1958)
6/10
The Day Shall Come (Chris Morris, 2019)
6/10
Doom: Annihilation (Tony Giglio, 2019)
5/10
Hesher (Spencer Susser, 2010)
+ 6/10

Damaged slacker Hesher (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) has a huge effect on those around him.
Jacob's Ladder (David M. Rosenthal 2019)
5/10
Repeat Performance (Alfred Werker, 1947)
.5.5/10
Mister Rock and Roll (Charles Dubin, 1957)
5/10
On Body and Soul (Ildikó Enyedi, 2017)
6.5/10

Two workers (Géza Morcsány & Alexandra Borbélyi) at a Hungarian abattoir find out they share each other's dreams - that they're deer in a forest.
The Gunfighter (Henry King, 1950)
- 6.5/10
Hope: One in a Billion (Brodje Wemboendja, 2017)
5.5/10
Rock, Pretty Baby! (Richard Bartlett, 1956)
5/10
Como Caído Del Cielo (José Pepe Bojórquez 2019)
+ 6/10

Beloved Mexican icon Pedro Infante (Omar Chaparro) returns to Earth in the body of an Infante impersonator (also Chaparro) to try to make amends for his many infidelities with women.
The Glorious Acceptance of Nicolas Chauvin (Benjamin Crotty, 2018)
6/10
Daniel Cried (Kristopher Avedisian, 2016)
6/10
Pretty Broken (Brett Eichenberger, 2018)
6/10
not a Stranger (James Russo, 2018)
6/10

Mesiyah Oduro-Kwarten, John Babbo & Matthew McGuire learn life lessons from former teacher James Russo who may get in trouble for it.