Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Grey Fox (1982)

From the current westerns list, supposedly this is a biographical film and it sure felt very real. Richard Farnsworth is outstanding as a stagecoach robber who serves over 30 years in prison until his release in 1901. He happens to watch The Great Train Robbery soon after which gives him a new idea. He's known as the gentleman bandit and he tries to change his identity while living on the run. A very mature and strong film, a bit different from most other westerns. IMDb and Wiki both have it at 110 minutes long but it's only 85.

This is one of my favorite films of all time. It was done in Canada, and I believe it might have won the best forum film in the U.S. (not sure).

At the time that this came out there had never been anything like it. It was an absolutely mesmerizing performance by the late Richard Farnsworth. The photography was stunning, and the perfect music was provided by the great Irish band, The Chieftans, which completely enhanced the excitement and thematic authenticity. Perfect rating for me. If anyone hasn't seen it, they really must.

~Doc

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Spettacolo (Jeff Malmberg & Chris Shellen, 2017)
6/10
Satanis: The Devil's Mass (Ray Laurent, 1970)
5/10
A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 2019)
+ 6/10
Let the Good Times Roll (Robert Abel & Sidney Levin, 1973)
6.5/10

Legends Bo Diddley & Chuck Berry in '73.
The Great Rupert (Irving Pichel, 1950)
5.5/10
Distorted (Rob W. King, 2018)
5/10
Young Catherine (Michael Anderson, 1991)
+ 6/10
Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer (Mark Lewis, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

The Luka Magnotta investigation.
When I Am Dead and Gone (Zivojin Pavlovic, 1967)
6/10
Flower (Max Winkler 2017)
+ 5/10
Butterfly Girl (Cary Bell, 2014)
.6/10
Maidan (Sergei Loznitsa, 2014)
- 6.5/10

What really happened in Kiev, Ukraine in 2013 - Believe your eyes.
The Opposite Sex (David Miller, 1956)
6/10
Angel Baby (Paul Wendkos 1961)
+ 5/10
Pillow to Post (Vincent Sherman, 1945)
6/10
Jingle Bell Rocks! (Mitchell Kezin, 2013)
- 6.5/10

Everybody has their favorite Christmas music or maybe not.
This Could Be the Night (Robert Wise, 1957)
6/10
Long Live Death AKA Viva la muerte (Fernando Arrabal, 1971)
+ 5/10
Hotel Coolgardie (Pete Gleeson, 2016)
6/10
Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)
- 7/10

Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis) and Hitler (Taika Waititi) are best buds.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

+

I had this on my watchlist for a long time and finally got to it for the upcoming westerns countdown. I'd call it a crime/drama/western concoction, but whatever you want to call it it's outstanding. Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Pepper lead a terrifically good cast. It's gripping from start to finish, and I also thought there was some good messaging to be taken from it.

Caligula Reincarnated as Hitler (1977) - 1.5/10. Walked into this one really. Saw it on a free movie app on Android TV. Tubi or something. Sleazy just for the sake of being sleazy, makes no sense, rubbish!!!! I was doing a little bit of food prep so turned this on, made me cry more than the onions did. The plot is mostly get Jewish women in jail so that the German soldiers can show them who's boss, if you get my drift!

Dolemite Is My Name (2019)

Went into this cautiously as since "Trading Places" not been a big fan of much of Eddie Murphys stuff. Relieved to say it was a well acted, loving portrayal of a certain time in picture making. The Dimension Pictures scenes were perfectly handled.

A surprising:

The Eagle has Landed (1976)

*Alot* of problems with this, not least Donald Sutherland as the happy-go-lucky freedom-fighter for hire. Well shot with a good cast but the story just peters out.

The Shootist (1976)

John Wayne's swansong is a little wooden piece of melancholic heroism but I think that's befitting for the Duke. The nostalgic intro is quite bad but the actual film is very decent. I would have preferred a bit more downbeat approach to the story and while it's presumably tailormade for John Wayne it could have been better with an actor instead of a revered idol.

Caligula Reincarnated as Hitler (1977) - 1.5/10. Walked into this one really. Saw it on a free movie app on Android TV. Tubi or something. Sleazy just for the sake of being sleazy, makes no sense, rubbish!!!! I was doing a little bit of food prep so turned this on, made me cry more than the onions did. The plot is mostly get Jewish women in jail so that the German soldiers can show them who's boss, if you get my drift!
Are you into Nazixplotation films?

I know several.

Heller in Pink Tights (1960)

+

This is from acclaimed director George Cukor and on the current westerns list. I thought it was going to be a bit goofy for my taste but I ended up liking it plenty. It's about a traveling theater troupe but it never gets silly and there are dramatic moments. I always find Anthony Quinn compelling to watch and I could feast on Sophia Loren all day. Feast my eyes on that is

The Shootist (1976)

John Wayne's swansong is a little wooden piece of melancholic heroism but I think that's befitting for the Duke. The nostalgic intro is quite bad but the actual film is very decent. I would have preferred a bit more downbeat approach to the story and while it's presumably tailormade for John Wayne it could have been better with an actor instead of a revered idol.

I thought the fact that it was Wayne, who was a dying man playing a dying man, made the whole movie that much more impactful.

The Current War (2019)

This is another film that comes to us 2 years late. It was originally to be released in 2017, but having been a Weinstein Company production it was pulled following the accusations against Weinstein.

We evidently see the "Director's cut". Originally directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon on a book and screenplay by Michael Mitnick, prior to its new release Martin Sorcese --having had final cut approval as executive producer-- insisted on some cuts and some re-shooting. This supposedly lead to improvement and clarification. If so, it's tough to imagine how the original could have held most people's attention.

Even so, the film is a bit of a mess. One would think the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch (Edison) and Michael Shannon (G. Westinghouse) would add some heft to the film. Nevertheless the picture, as a biographical drama concerning the war between the two in the 1890s to see who could win the rights to provide the best electrical current to mankind, was confusing and somewhat plodding.

The script was the problem. But to be fair the very complex story of inventions, patents, and lawsuits is tough to bring to the screen with any clarity. Is there natural drama there? Yes, but it's a bit of a tempest in a teapot. It helps if the viewer is familiar with the struggle for dominance in electricity during the late 19th Century. Otherwise characters come in and out, and are never established to aid in understanding of the complicated drama.

Cumberbatch as Edison emerges as the best portrayal and most interesting performance. Shannon provided a competent effort. But his tendency to lapse into his patented strange demeanor didn't quite jibe with the real George Westinghouse. Most of the rest of the cast was first rate, including Nicholas Hoult as N. Tesla, and Tom Holland as Samuel Insull. Mathew Macfadyen was miscast in the J.P. Morgan role (Morgan was actually very assertive and aggressive).

The movie is worth seeing for the acting, excellent photography, period settings and costuming, and for historical purposes. But it misses the mark as a fine film.

Doc's rating: 5/10

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Little Women (2019)

More Saoirse, please.

UNCUT GEMS
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Spider-Man!

As a kid I remember always hearing about which comic book company was the best. Many of my friends were in the DC comic camp. Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and of course the classic Saturday morning cartoon, Justice League of America (1973-1986), were the strengths of their argument. My favorite superhero was Spider-Man, who was and still is one of Marvel comics most popular super heroes….so that put me in the less crowded camp of Marvel. As an adult the same argument seems to be still being asked…only now it is which comic company is bringing the best superhero movies to the big screen.

The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers, 2019)

Very good, two great performances and the film achieves a hypnotic dream/nightmare type feel which ticks the plot along nicely. Although not quite as suspenseful or engrossing as The Witch for me.

Uncut Gems
Adam Sandler can be a good actor when he actually tries. Great movie that keeps you entertained from the start until to its brilliant final moments

Are you into Nazixplotation films?

I know several.

I have seen Ilsa stuff. They were a little bit better, if these films can be quantified as such! I am not that much into exploitation films in general. But do watch it from time to time. Just stumbled upon it, on an idle afternoon!

That being said, I am always open to suggestions!