Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'The Lighthouse' (2019)

Directed by Robert Eggers

Absolutely extraordinary.

Eggers sure knows how to create an atmosphere of dread and doom. The script is absolutely terrific with 1890s style old English and sea shanties galore. It's bleak but there are moments of comedy throughout.

Based on a true account of two lighthouse keepers, it's hows descent into madness and also seems to borrow alot from Greek mythology. The two performances from Pattinson and Dafoe are out of this world. Dafoe especially contorts his face and gurns and snarls as if possessed. The sound design is also remarkable - with waves crashing, wind howling and a droning murmur that captures isolation and hell. It's a horror film in the sense that what we see unfold is horrifying but it's not as creepy as Eggers' last film The VVitch. What we see here has more drama to it and requires a little more of the viewer..

This film is one of the best films of the year and perhaps one of the best films of the decade. It cements Robert Eggers' Director status as a force to be reckoned with.

Deadbeat at Dawn (1988)

+

I'm not sure where I first heard about this but I guess it's been on my watchlist for a while. I decided to move it to the top after seeing Hey Fredrick post about it. It reminded me of a very good Troma film. It's definitely not for every viewer but it's plenty of awesome for the right viewer. A nice and sweet violent cult classic treat.

If you watch one Cat's film this year, weird terrifying and absolutely absorbing. Don't F with Cats is the story of a guy who puts a video online of himself killing a pair of kittens, and how the story escalates to the point of international intrigue.

If you watch one Cat's film this year, weird terrifying and absolutely absorbing. Don't F with Cats is the story of a guy who puts a video online of himself killing a pair of kittens, and how the story escalates to the point of international intrigue.
I thought this was good but the last line of the show was so dumb.

JoJo Rabbit (2019) - 8/10. Mind blown. Easily my favourite of the year. The acting, the handling of the delicate topic was just brilliant. Loved every second of it.

Face to Face (1967)

I watched this because it's on the current westerns list, and it was a very nice spaghetti surprise. It looks right and sounds right, and has good characters.

Princess and the Frog (2009)

I really was hoping I could get to a 5/5, because it does stand out as an animated movie. However it never really sold me on the prince actually being deserving of the princess so the ending fell kinda flat. Characters are outstanding though, with the villain being truly captivating.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Cowboys and Indians: The J.J. Harper Story (Norma Bailey, 2003)
+ 6.5/10
The Blood Queen AKA Lady of Csejte (Andrei Konst, 2015)
5/10
The Battery (Jeremy Gardner, 2012)
6/10
The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers, 2019)
6.5/10

Two lighthouse keepers (Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe) grow more crazed with each passing scene.
Wolf Girl (Thom Fitzgerald, 2001)
6/10
A Christmas Carol (Nick Murphy, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Wild Seed (Brian G. Hutton, 1965)
6/10
The Two Popes (Fernando Meirelles, 2019)
6.5/10

Retiring Pope Benedict XVI (Anthony Hopkins) and incoming Pope Francis (Jonathan Pryce) become good friends.
Freaks (Zach Lipovsky & Adam B. Stein, 2018)
+ 6/10
Holy Man: The USA vs Douglas White (Jennifer Jessum, 2011)
6.5/10
Made in U.S.A. (Ken Friedman, 1987)
5.5/10
Star in the Night (Don Siegel, 1945)
.7/10

Wonderful short about the meaning of Christmas - a tradition at the French household.
Togo (Ericson Core, 2019)
+ 6.5/10
Cash on Demand (Quentin Lawrence, 1962)
+ 6/10
Lucy in the Sky (Noah Hawley, 2019)
5/10
Zombieland: Double Tap (Ruben Fleischer, 2019)
6.5/10

Ten years after their first outing, the zombie hunters are having fun at the White House.
Down in Shadowland (Tom DiCillo, 2014)
6/10
When She Showed Up (Brandon Rose, 2017)
- 6.5/10
Logan's Syndrome (Nathan Meier, 2016)
6/10
Sátántangó (Béla Tarr, 1994)
6/10

Estike (Erika Bók) walks to her doom.

Unregistered User
Not much into neo-giallo, eh?

Its not my favourite by any stretch but certainly would never rule out watching them. I preferred this to Amer, which I really didn't enjoy. I really liked Let The Corpses Tan, it was super stylish without disturbing the plot. Other than these I'm not sure what else I've seen that would qualify? Berberian Sound Studio? Climax? I love both of them, especially the latter. If any recommendations, fire them through sure.

Unregistered User

The Lighthouse (2019)

What a brilliantly beautiful but harrowing film. For me, there's nothing better than watching a descent into madness, when done right and Eggers absolutely nails it here! Pattinson and Defoe both give arguably career best performances here with the former almost morphing into Daniel Plainview and I don't mean on looks alone. Some of his acting was absolutely terrifying!

Its obvious that the team here has done its homework. Not that I can boast on my CV any roles carried out by 'a wickie' but the terminology, looks and dialogue feels eerily well-delivered. The Greek Mythology and symbolism worked really well and even reading up after, felt totally in character.

So much I would love to put down about this but unfortunately, as usual, no time.

Just make sure you watch this when you can!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I really liked Let The Corpses Tan, it was super stylish without disturbing the plot
That's funny, because I liked that one the least precisely because it had too much plot. Some more neo-gialli would be The Editor (2014) and Francesca (2015)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Unregistered User
That's funny, because I liked that one the least precisely because it had too much plot. Some more neo-gialli would be The Editor (2014) and Francesca (2015)

Had The Editor already on my watchlist, probably because of Paz de la Huerta. Added Francesca.

Cheers Meany o

Gloria Bell (2018)

Oh boy. Have you ever had the experience of watching a film that at about half or two-thirds of the way through, you know is very iffy, but against your better judgement you watch to the end just to see if it somehow redeems itself nicely..... but it doesn't? That is the effect this picture had on me.

There's not much to the story. A divorced woman in her 50's leads a routine and meaningless life, and after an affair with some schlemiel guy, decides just to appreciate her situation for what it is. I'm trying to imagine who this film would appeal to. Perhaps spinsters?

It stars a pair of heavyweights: Julianne Moore and John Tuturro, with a decent supporting cast. The director and co-writer Sebastian Lelio did a competent job, but the problem is with the script. Must we assume that any film whose subject is a divorced late middle aged woman must be fascinating, PC and chic? I'm always a little suspicious when the critics like a film more than does the public.

The picture was not run-out-of-the-house-screaming bad, but close. I found myself laughing out loud at the ending, which was enhanced by Moore's clownish solo dancing. The conclusion I reached was that the entire effort was meant to lead up to a connection at the ending with the use of Laura Branigan's wonderful rendition of the song "Gloria" from 1982.

This was a remake of Lelio's 2013 Chilean-Spanish film of the same title. Presumably something was lost in the translation or in cross culture remaking.

Doc's rating: 4/10

An older Ozploitation flick about a mad doctor trying to discover eternal life and in the process creates a bunch of stark raving mad zombie-ish creatures on a remote island. One of the Doc.'s earliest and most successful patients returns to the island with some friends (friends that have no clue what they're getting into) to pay him a visit/revenge! It reminded me a lot of Peter Jackson's early gore fests. A lot of fast zooms and moving camera shots, not nearly the blood and guts that Peter enjoyed but there are some solid shots of gooey stuff.

SPOILERS

I did not expect to enjoy this movie and in that regard at least I was not disappointed. Pennywise was not scary, too much focus was put into showing off special effects and not nearly enough on atmosphere or dread. I understood that the characters were afraid but that fear never became personal to me.
The use of special effects, CGI, whatever became comical after a while and almost seemed something one would expect out of Beetlejuice.
The death scenes were kind of blah. The first one was a teenage boy named Adrian, witnessed by another teenage boy. Okay so my understanding was that, as a general rule, only children were It's victims and only children could see It. Maybe I missed something but this didn't sit well with me. The death itself was unremarkable. It bit him. The second death scene, It bites Victoria. The third death scene, It bites Dean. The fourth death scene, It impales Eddie so at least that was different.
This movie just dragged on and on and I found myself watching the clock wondering how much more there could possibly be. I don't mind long movies but there has to be something entertaining about it to fill those long minutes. IT Chapter Two just didn't do that for me.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IT.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	59169  

Made it to the end, but what a strange little indie movie it is. Only Molly Parker kept me invested + a Zendaya look-alike named Helena Howard in her debut rôle.

Had The Editor already on my watchlist, probably because of Paz de la Huerta. Added Francesca.

Cheers Meany o
I personally hated The Editor. Francesca is on my watchlist too but last time I tried I didn't find a good quality copy.

Se7en (1995) - David Fincher
- Amazing movie. Probably the most memorable and awesome ending ever.

ps: Happy Christmas guys and gals