Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

This is the second film I had actually remembered seeing in my very early life at the Drive-In at around 3 years old. (The first was Romeo & Juliet). I remember being utterly heartbroken at the now famous ending. Sitting in the very back of the family station wagon, paralyzed with shock and remorse at the two outlaws I had found so lovable as we pulled away with the credits rolling....
Excellent review Ed and fun to read. Sounds like great memories with you in the family wagon and probably in your PJs too watching one of the great westerns.

I have a very similar first movie memory and you've probably heard me tell this tale before but....My first movie memory was also at the drive-in with my parents and me in PJs! I was 30 at the time I never knew for sure what the movie was, but I always remembered one scene: it was a western and a man is standing on an old ruined building holding a cross, then he's shot and falls to the ground. I'm pretty sure it was For a Few Dollars More. Ah, the good old days.

The trick is not minding
Reading your review makes wish I had grown up during the 70’s. It was such an interesting time for film during that decade, before Jaws and Star Wars ushered in the era of the blockbuster. I love those two aforementioned films, but they really did change the landscape.
I would have loved to have seen Jaws, Star Wars, Annie Hall, Alien, Halloween, Apocalypse Now, The Sting, and so many more during their original run

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Excellent review Ed and fun to read. Sounds like great memories with you in the family wagon and probably in your PJs too watching one of the great westerns.

I have a very similar first movie memory and you've probably heard me tell this tale before but....My first movie memory was also at the drive-in with my parents and me in PJs! I was 30 at the time I never knew for sure what the movie was, but I always remembered one scene: it was a western and a man is standing on an old ruined building holding a cross, then he's shot and falls to the ground. I'm pretty sure it was For a Few Dollars More. Ah, the good old days.
ROFL
Has IF there's any other way TO watch a film at the Drive In
Reading your review makes wish I had grown up during the 70’s. It was such an interesting time for film during that decade, before Jaws and Star Wars ushered in the era of the blockbuster. I love those two aforementioned films, but they really did change the landscape.
I would have loved to have seen Jaws, Star Wars, Annie Hall, Alien, Halloween, Apocalypse Now, The Sting, and so many more during their original run
I think that happens with all of us. When I was a kid I wanted to have experienced life in the 50's and 60's and seriously believed I had missed out on so much.

Out of those I seen Jaws, Star Wars and Halloween first run at the theater...but not a drive-in I remember kids in school being totally excited about Alien, but I didn't see that until it came out on VHS tape.

...When I was a kid I wanted to have experienced life in the 50's and 60's and seriously believed I had missed out on so much.
I still live in the 1950s!

The trick is not minding
Out of those I seen Jaws, Star Wars and Halloween first run at the theater...but not a drive-in I remember kids in school being totally excited about Alien, but I didn't see that until it came out on VHS tape.!
What I would give to have experienced that. Even the early 80’s, as it wasn’t until 1984 that I became aware of movies to begin with.
I saw Aliens in the theatre, and was in a horror and sci-fi phase before I took this seriously, but I remember also seeing The Gate, Friday the 13th part 8 and Ghostbusters 2 among others. Earliest film I remember seeing was Empire Strikes Back, but it had to be a rerelease, as I was 3 during its original 1980 run. So it’s next release was 1983 I think?
I was able to see the special edition of Star Wars in 1997 at theatres. (whole trilogy in fact)

What I would give to have experienced that. Even the early 80’s, as it wasn’t until 1984 that I became aware of movies to begin with.
I saw Aliens in the theatre, and was in a horror and sci-fi phase before I took this seriously, but I remember also seeing The Gate, Friday the 13th part 8 and Ghostbusters 2 among others. Earliest film I remember seeing was Empire Strikes Back, but it had to be a rerelease, as I was 3 during its original 1980 run. So it’s next release was 1983 I think?
I was able to see the special edition of Star Wars in 1997 at theatres. (whole trilogy in fact)
Very cool that you seen all those at the theater. It must be a big treat for a Star Wars fan to see the trilogy on the big screen. You know I have a memory of seeing Star Wars, first time with my parents and then again almost a year later with my cousins and their parents and it was still at the same theater. Star Wars played that same theater for over a year, how crazy is that!

I wish I was around for all of that! I didn’t really get into movies until 2018, but I do remember loving La La Land and Toy Story 3 in theaters.

Saw Star Wars at the theater. The line went completely around the building. Pretty incredible. The Movie Theater and Drive In used to be a weekly, and at times nearly daily thing for me growing up and into my thirties. Though a large number of times I did sneak in through out that time.
Been quite a while since I visited the movies at any steady amount. It's been a couple of times a year now, if that. Though they have been for blockbuster films with 3D which is REALLY cool to see. The exceptions have been the very rare old time movie theater, but since I work when they do their runs I haven't visited them for the past seven years or so.

Drive-Ins were the best. We went almost every Friday night because it was so cheap. Pile the entire family in the car, have a couple brown paper bags filled with popcorn and a hidden cooler filled with Jolly Good under the blankets on the back seat floor. I saw most of the Disney classics for the first time at the drive in when they did the re-releases.

The trick is not minding
Saw Star Wars at the theater. The line went completely around the building. Pretty incredible. The Movie Theater and Drive In used to be a weekly, and at times nearly daily thing for me growing up and into my thirties. Though a large number of times I did sneak in through out that time.
Been quite a while since I visited the movies at any steady amount. It's been a couple of times a year now, if that. Though they have been for blockbuster films with 3D which is REALLY cool to see. The exceptions have been the very rare old time movie theater, but since I work when they do their runs I haven't visited them for the past seven years or so.

That was my life from 2000-2005 and again between 2009-2014. Especially the first few years in this century. And if I wasn’t in the theatre I was at the local rental every weekend. Such good times

I may have to back out from this comp, Sorry.

I'm struggling to source some of these movies, esp some of the older ones - many of which don't have an AD track, which is important for those films I've not previously seen so it would be unfair to compare with some that I do have memory of.

I'm struggling to source some of these movies, esp some of the older ones - many of which don't have an AD track, which is important for those films I've not previously seen so it would be unfair to compare with some that I do have memory of.
Sorry to hear that. If you list which ones you are having trouble finding I’m sure people can provide links through PM.

We have trouble locating films, and as ahwell mentioned, post your list and I'm sure we can assist locate films for you before you decide to give it a go.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

If you still can't find some of these movies, you might want to check out the MoFo Westerns List. It's different from the Hall of Fame (HoF) because you can choose which western movies you want to watch.

In the HoF, everyone who joins watches all of the nominated movies, and then sends in their ranked list of those movies.

For the MoFo Westerns List, you can watch whatever western movies you want to watch, as many or as few as you want, and then send in a ranked list of your top 25 westerns to the person who's hosting that list (Holden Pike). Everyone has until May 15th, 2020 to submit their lists, and then Holden Pike will use all the lists to figure out the MoFo Top 100 Western Movies.

The information about the MoFo Western List can be found at this link:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=60358

It might be easier for you because you can choose the western movies that you want to watch, so you won't have to worry about not being able to find any specific movies.

The Ox-Bow Incident

First time seeing Ox-Bow and it felt like a cross between 12 Angry Men and Mystic River. Not bad company. A local cattle guy is reportedly killed by some cattle thieves which leads to a posse being formed in town to track down the killers. The posse finds three guys at Ox-Bow which, of course, leads to an Incident. The movie is it's best once the three men are tracked down and the "trial" begins. The acting was good across the board with my favorite being Anthony Quinn. Kind of has a shocking ending for a movie of it's era. Didn't see that coming at all.

I really liked The Ox-Bow Incident. It's a good, old fashioned western and will likely find a place on my top 25 ballot.

I think what Taz is saying is because he's blind he needs an Audio Description track. Unfortunately many older movies won't have that available.
Oh, I was not aware of that. Sorry about that, Taz, we’d love to still have you but if you feel the need to drop out no worries.

I think what Taz is saying is because he's blind he needs an Audio Description track. Unfortunately many older movies won't have that available.
Thank you for the clarification!
Oh, I was not aware of that. Sorry about that, Taz, we’d love to still have you but if you feel the need to drop out no worries.
I echo gbg's statement -- have a very wonderful Holiday, @Taz!!

Nice review @Hey Frederick, like you, it already has a spot in my list and glad to have a rewatch since first seeing it about a year or so ago.
The ending was a great surprise for me as well.

The trick is not minding
Nice review @Hey Frederick, like you, it already has a spot in my list and glad to have a rewatch since first seeing it about a year or so ago.
The ending was a great surprise for me as well.

It’s been about a decade since I saw it, and I remember enjoying it a lot. Was definitely not what I was expecting from a western, with its message. Really looking forward to rewatching this again