Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Review embargo lifted now too.

WARNING: "review scores" spoilers below
Metacritic 53%,RT 57%. If they gave TLJ 92% then this must be unbelievably bad. Save your money folks.

“I was cured, all right!”
This film looks like garbage, just like the rest of this trilogy.
If some of the leaks are true, this will be The Last Jedi level of trash!

kathleen kennedy is getting what she deserves! This film needs to BOMB badly! I'm genuinely happy with all the bad reviews the film is getting. Jar Jar Abram deserves it too.

It would be a win to Star Wars fans — I'm sure Disney will start to pay critics and social media personalities to say good things about this film.

This film looks like garbage, just like the rest of this trilogy.
If some of the leaks are true, this will be The Last Jedi level of trash!

kathleen kennedy is getting what she deserves! This film needs to BOMB badly! I'm genuinely happy with all the bad reviews the film is getting. Jar Jar Abram deserves it too.

It would be a win to Star Wars fans — I'm sure Disney will start to pay critics and social media personalities to say good things about this film.
Even George Lucas declined an invitation to the premiere. That's a hell of a burn.

I at least have a little sympathy for JJ, he's in a unique bizzare situation of doing part 1 and 3 of a trilogy but having had someone make part 2 who was allowed to go off on a complete tangent.

The critics can be more honest this time, there's no fear over getting declined invitations for the next one, because there isn't really a next one atm ( I know they're talking 2022), and again you have to assume leadership positions are gonna change and by the time the next one rolls around it will be a new day.

Kathleen Kennedy is a complete embarrassment.

A system of cells interlinked
Well the Critics liked Last Jedi remember and Fans hated it. Critic's harped on Force Awakens. The critics who are the so called SW fans are ones hating on film because JJ tried to pay homage again. Remember its popular to not like the Movie Star Wars for critics.

My trust in both the critics and the sites that aggregate their reviews is at an all-time low, so I will not be placing much faith in what I see an hear from those folks. I don't have tickets to the film yet, so it looks like it may be some time until I finally get to a theater to check this out. Here is a picture of my family's life for the next couple of weeks, as we avoid the internet:

Seems like a pretty huge coincidence that every fan's feeling of what "the fans" think or want is perfectly aligned with what they themselves think and want.

Also, it seems needlessly elaborate to start positing psychoanalytical theories about how incentives are pressuring critics to say things they don't mean. It's a lot simpler and more plausible to believe there are actual differences of opinion, particularly since you'll find the same sentiments coming from plenty of people even more removed from the industry.

Anyway, early reviews suggest this one is boringly safe, which is exactly what I was worried would happen.

Welcome to the human race...
Good to know the usual suspects are planning on being as insufferable about this as always, I guess. Like here you are going on about Schrödinger's Critic who is at once supposedly untrustworthy for praising the film you hate yet their dismissal of its follow-up is a reliable indicator that the next one is going to be even worse. There's no winning.

I mean, I was at least hoping for something that'd make people reconsider Last Jedi (regardless of its own quality), but clearly I'm being too optimistic about that.

Yeah, like I said during the last go-around, if you use either thing they say as evidence of your theory, that's meaningless. You're not using information to reach a conclusion, you just have a conclusion, and that's it. Which is fine, but it would be a trick to talk about it alongside these facts/events as if the two things were related. The point of data is its ability to contradict what we think or expect. If no data can do that, then citing it when you think it aligns has no weight, and is being used to try to make a mere opinion seem more substantial than mere opinions naturally are, which is the same reason people purport to speak for all of fandom.

Have enough confidence in your opinions, reasoning, and taste to let them be what they are without doing some rhetorical pufferfish thing.

Seems like a few posters in this thread are forgetting a couple of key concepts:

1. I actually do speak for all fans in an official capacity.

2. My opinion > whatever nonsense other people post

Things will go much smoother in this thread if everyone remembers these little tidbits of info!

Anyways its another MoFo Star Wars Christmas! Isn't it exciting?! And there's gonna be loads of presents to discuss brought to us by Kathleen, Rian and JJ.

What a time to be alive!

I'm just glad it's over, it's possible the very idea of this trilogy was misguided and was always going to be try to impossibly straddle the line between homage/continuation and, well, having a reason to exist at all. Might've been better to start fresh, which it sounds like is what'll happen a few years from now.

Good to know the usual suspects are planning on being as insufferable about this as always, I guess. Like here you are going on about Schrödinger's Critic who is at once supposedly untrustworthy for praising the film you hate yet their dismissal of its follow-up is a reliable indicator that the next one is going to be even worse. There's no winning.

I mean, I was at least hoping for something that'd make people reconsider Last Jedi (regardless of its own quality), but clearly I'm being too optimistic about that.
Actually lots are saying this is way worse.

I'm just glad it's over, it's possible the very idea of this trilogy was misguided and was always going to be try to impossibly straddle the line between homage/continuation and, well, having a reason to exist at all. Might've been better to start fresh, which it sounds like is what'll happen a few years from now.
Just very bad decision making/strategy, no time for creative process to happen, no oversight of the story, dumping of the EU with stacks of interesting characters/ideas that could have been included. The worst crime has been having one director write/start things, the next just discarding it all and going his own way, then the original coming back and dispensing with part 2 to try and get back to his own intended conclusion but suffering from now being forced to alter things based on part 2's tangent, mainly the Emperor instead of Snoke.

I don't even think they should be announcing next movie schedules, just get back to the drawing board and nail on the story. It would be stupid of them if they haven't already been writing the next ones in some capacity, but this is Lucasfilm. The worst thing they can do is rush again.

Actually lots are saying this is way worse.
Lots of who? Critics? Since TLJ was almost universally positive in its reviews by critics, I guess your statement is kind of true, but then again, it was pretty roundly panned in the audience scores...So, maybe this film will flip those numbers?

Regardless, Who are the people saying this is way worse?

Lots of who? Critics? Since TLJ was almost universally positive in its reviews by critics, I guess your statement is kind of true, but then again, it was pretty roundly panned in the audience scores...So, maybe this film will flip those numbers?

Regardless, Who are the people saying this is way worse?
Lots of reviews I've read on reddit, from critics, bloggers etc. Obviously "lots" of those who liked TLJ can be put in that camp.

But yea maybe we'll see a better audience reaction than TLJ.

Very bad reviews man for the film,all i can say is: F*** disney man, they ruined this franchise, im not watching this and get disappointed....i already was in TLJ...put this franchise to bed once and for all

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Very bad reviews man for the film,all i can say is: F*** disney man, they ruined this franchise, im not watching this and get disappointed....i already was in TLJ...put this franchise to bed once and for all
I think George Lucas ruined the franchise when he sold it.

I still believe Star Wars has huge potential just not in the hands of current incompetents like KK.

I heard its starts kinda slow but there is nothing but wall to wall action. A person called it Star Wars action and Kristian Harloff says its best of the new trilogy films. He use to work at a reviewer collider. But where Disney Star Wars failed was not having a plan for 3 films. Think Mandalorian and Disney made kennedy let those guys do there thing.