I didn't understand some of the movie Predestination (2014).

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
Why did the time traveling agent, arrange for Jane's baby to become Jane. I didn't see the point to this. Also, he arranges this by taking the baby back through time and placing it at the door of the orphanage. But wouldn't there be an original baby there of Jane already though, since she was originally a different person, than her baby?

Also it is revealed that the agent fell in love with Jane, but why, since they hardly spent much time together it seems, or what caused this love to happen exactly? And he loved her, than why would he do all this to her then?

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
Why did the time traveling agent, arrange for Jane's baby to become Jane. I didn't see the point to this. Also, he arranges this by taking the baby back through time and placing it at the door of the orphanage. But wouldn't there be an original baby there of Jane already though, since she was originally a different person, than her baby?

Also it is revealed that the agent fell in love with Jane, but why, since they hardly spent much time together it seems, or what caused this love to happen exactly? And he loved her, than why would he do all this to her then?
WARNING: spoilers below
Not sure if you picked up on it but the time traveller(Ethan Hawke) is Jane as well after the reconstructive surgery so the point is that he's his own mother and father as well as killing his future self as the fizzle bomber, essentially self contained in time so more suited to his role(the fizzle bomber is working for Mr. Robertson stopping worse events) as changes he makes cannot as easily effect him although of course they still do somewhat damaging him mentally.

The view of time travel here to me seems to be determinist to me. The agent might change history as the fizzle bomber but these changes were always destined to happen, he was always his own parents with the causality for this coming from the future via Mr. Robertson. Not sure that entirely makes sense but you could argue that was the point of the original short story.

Oh okay thanks, I understand what a temporal paradox is. I didn't understand that Hawke's character was the same as Jane, the way they revealed it, but I understand that he is now.

I understand the what, and the who of the time travel twists I think, but not the WHY. Why would the Hawke character be interested in completely screwing up his past and his birth like that? Why make Jane and her baby, the same person?

Another thing I don't understand is that if Jane and the Hawke character are the same person, then why does Hawke have no memory of being a woman, who got a sex change, who's baby was kidnapped, etc?

I understand the what, and the who of the time travel twists I think, but not the WHY. Why would the Hawke character be interested in completely screwing up his past and his birth like that? Why make Jane and her baby, the same person?
Been awhile since I watched it but I seem to remember the implication is that Hawke's characters nature as his own mother/father/killer makes him better suited to his role(changing history for the "better" as the fizzle bomber), either in terms of changes to history he makes being less likely to effect his own history(in which the most important events are carried out by himself) or somehow limit the mental damage that changing history causes(which we see the future version of him has still suffered some of).

Another thing I don't understand is that if Jane and the Hawke character are the same person, then why does Hawke have no memory of being a woman, who got a sex change, who's baby was kidnapped, etc?
I don't remember this being a plot point, isn't it that the audience are unaware that he's the same person until latter in the film?

I'm like 90% certain that last question is specifically answered in the film. But then, I find a lot of these types of questions are answered in their respective films.

Been awhile since I watched it but I seem to remember the implication is that Hawke's characters nature as his own mother/father/killer makes him better suited to his role(changing history for the "better" as the fizzle bomber), either in terms of changes to history he makes being less likely to effect his own history(in which the most important events are carried out by himself) or somehow limit the mental damage that changing history causes(which we see the future version of him has still suffered some of).

I don't remember this being a plot point, isn't it that the audience are unaware that he's the same person until latter in the film?
Well it's just that he seemed surprised when he discovered he was the same person, as if he did not remember it. So I thought he didn't, since he seemed surprised.

Also, since Hawke has a different voice than Jane, how is that the the fire changed his appearance, but his voice as well?