Golden Globe Nominations 2020 (Film)

Tools    

The nominations in the film categories for the 77th Annual Golden Globes are...

BEST MOTION PICTURE DRAMA
The Irishman
Joker
Marriage Story
The Two Popes

BEST MOTION PICTURE COMEDY/MUSICAL
Dolemite Is My Name
Jojo Rabbit
Knives Out
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Rocketman

BEST DIRECTOR
Bong Joon-Ho, Parasite
Sam Mendes, 1917
Todd Phillips, Joker
Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Christian Bale, Ford v Ferrari
Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
Charlize Theron, Bombshell
Renée Zellweger, Judy

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY/MUSICAL
Daniel Craig, Knives Out
Roman Griffin Davis, Jojo Rabbit
Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Taron Egerton, Rocketman
Eddie Murphy, Dolemite Is My Name

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY/MUSICAL
Ana de Armas, Knives Out
Awkwafina, The Farewell
Cate Blanchett, Where’d You Go, Bernadette
Beanie Feldstein, Booksmart
Emma Thompson, Late Night

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
Al Pacino, The Irishman
Joe Pesci, The Irishman
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Annette Bening, The Report
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers
Margot Robbie, Bombshell

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Irishman, Steve Zaillian
Marriage Story, Noah Baumbach
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Quentin Tarantino
Parasite, Bong Joon-Ho and Han Jin-Won
The Two Popes, Anthony McCarten

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FEATURE
The Farewell
Les Misérables
Pain and Glory
Parasite
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Frozen II
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
The Lion King
Missing Link
Toy Story 4

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Motherless Brooklyn

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Beautiful Ghosts”, Cats
“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again”, Rocketman
“Into the Unknown”, Frozen II
“Spirit”, The Lion King
“Stand Up”, Harriet

The winners will be announced January 5th, 2020.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Here are my predictions for who will win (some I just randomly guessed):

BEST MOTION PICTURE DRAMA
The Irishman

BEST MOTION PICTURE COMEDY/MUSICAL
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST DIRECTOR
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY/MUSICAL
Eddie Murphy, Dolemite Is My Name

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY/MUSICAL
Ana de Armas, Knives Out

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell

BEST SCREENPLAY
Marriage Story, Noah Baumbach

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FEATURE
Parasite

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I hope you're right about these.
Phoenix and Pitt are the only logical winners in each category.

Many are saying Driver could win Best Actor. I watched Marriage Story. It was a good film with a few powerful moments for Driver, but it does not warrant him a Best Actor award. He is a great actor and I'm sure he will eventually win an Oscar in the near future, but this is not it. Phoenix has been nominated before, and Joker is by far his greatest performance to date. He was consistently captivating during the film.

Pitt is long overdue for a Globe/Oscar. This is his year.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Two Popes....really?

No love for Uncut Gems or The Lighthouse? Specifically in the acting categories?

Suspect's Reviews

Pitt is long overdue for a Globe/Oscar. This is his year.

I don't disagree, but for the record Bradley Pitt won a Golden Globe as Best Supporting Actor at the 1996 ceremony for his work in Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. The other four nominees that year were Ed Harris (Apollo 13), John Leguizamo (To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar), Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects), and Tim Roth (Rob Roy). Spacey went on to win the Oscar where Pitt was also nominated along with Harris and Roth as well as James Cromwell for Babe.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Pitt's sixth Globe nomination. Before his 12 Monkeys win he was nominated as Best Actor Drama for Legends of the Fall (Hanks won as Forrest Gump) and afterwards another Supporting nod for Alejandro Iñárritu's Babel (Eddie Murphy won for Dreamgirls), Best Actor Drama for Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Mickey Rourke won for The Wrestler), and Best Actor Drama for Moneyball (George Clooney won for The Descendants).

Pitt's three Oscar nominations to date as an actor are 12 Monkeys, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Sean Penn won for Milk), and Moneyball (Jean Dujardin won for The Artist). As a producer he also has Best Picture Oscar nominations for Moneyball, The Big Short, and 12 Years a Slave, the last of which won.

I've seen 7 of the nominations. I have not seen Jojo Rabbit, The Two Popes, and 1917 yet.

From the films I have seen, Joker is my favorite, followed by Dolemite is My Name, The Irishman, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Knives Out was okay but did not blow me away. Marriage Story did not my meet my expectations. It was a good film with some excellent performances, but it fell short for me on the emotional scale. Rocketman was a good biopic but nothing special.

I still believe The Irishman will win for Best Drama, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will win for Best Comedy.

why not Brad Pitt best actor??

why not Brad Pitt best actor??
The distinction between supporting and lead performances at the Golden Globes and Oscars can seem arbitrary but is most often strategic. In the case of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood rather than have DiCaprio and Pitt compete directly against each other, if you're the studio and producers you break them up into the two different categories. Now instead of their votes potentially canceling each other out you have the chance to win two acting awards instead of one.

But yes, structurally and in terms of screentime Pitt's character is obviously the co-lead.

What are the chances? All the movies up for best drama are made by companies based in the exact same city that the awards are being held!!!!!

Amazing coincidence.