Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ghostbusters 2016 doesn't deserve all the hate it got...but it was also garbage. They can only go up.

Suspect's Reviews

Yep, agree on both counts. Like anything that becomes a culture war proxy it was impossible to discuss reasonably. It was somewhere between bad and mediocre but got way too much attention relative to other films of similar quality.

This'll probably be better, but I'm not sure by how much. I do think the "make the characters themselves fans of the original story" is generally the right way to revive stuff like this, though. That was one of The Force Awakens' cleverer premises.

Pretty clever reboot: a combination of Ghostbusters and Stranger Things, which will benefit from the latter's popularity. It could be a cute one. It's certain that they couldn't do any worse than that dreadful flick with the female characters, so this iteration might be enjoyable. Hope so.

Welcome to the human race...
On the other hand, the fact that so much of the trailer hinges on a middle-aged guy trying to get a bunch of kids to care about the Ghostbusters is certainly a choice.

I mean, it's just as accurate to say the trailer hinges on kids being ignorant of how great the Ghostbusters were and a middle-aged guy having to show them, but I expect everybody brings whatever frame they want to it.

Definitely a frame influenced by the twin exhaustions of toxic fandom and soft reboots, I'll admit. Hard not to look at the shot of the cover being pulled off the Ecto-1 and being reminded of the kids finding the old jeeps in Jurassic World.

Yeah, I admit I rolled my eyes at that. Not because it's bad, just because it's so obligatory.

I'm not sure if it's fair or not, but I think only the first handful of reboots get a real fair shake, because from that point on the tropes are clear (and there's only so many ways to nod to the past and pass the torch and all that, so you can't even really avoid that) and even a well-done reboot is going to feel formulaic.

Is this a good thing or bad the Trailer. Obviously if the old Ghostbusters are alive its probably a plot point and most the trailers will have the kids in the trailer.

I can’t wait to see this. I’m excited. Hopefully the movie won’t turn out to be disappointing.

Heh, so nobody bothered to post the scene that went up a while ago where Paul Rudd deals with miniature Stay-Puft men?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
There was a new(?) trailer today, but maybe it was this stuff repackaged.

Good to see they are finally doing something with that Gremlins ip.

I like the trailer, but JJ Abrams already did the Spielberg homage movie…