Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Can't get over how good the acting was in this. Note to faculty on campus: if Martha and George invite you over for game night kindly decline.

A different look at Wyatt, Doc and the shootout at the O.K Corral.

Last night I watched Overlord (2018), because I heard quite a few great things about it, specifically being a great B movie, but sadly that was not the case. The film uses every cliche in the book when crafting the characters of the story and none of it comes across as a re-imagination of the director's vision or something unique enough for me to remember. Every person in the story is a one dimensional block of wood that I have seen done far better in almost every other war film and it confuses me why the director decided to go for that. Why not make the characters unlike all the other WW2 soldier characters we've seen before? It would be a subtle way of showing that the timeline the story takes place in is not our own. Throw a black woman in the squad, because why not? The story's unimaginative anyway and throwing that character in would convey an idea of "oh, so the story's not meant to be accurate to the time period". But it doesn't really matter because even if the people in the story were interesting the film would still be pretty weak.

It's a more half baked version of the Wolfenstein video games and ya know what? I would rather play the video games than sit down and watch a film where other people kill super solider Nazi's in the most uninteresting ways possible. The movie was so unmemorable that I can not recall a single thing about the film that surprised or even entertained me. I do not recommend this film.

3/10

Note: I know that technically black men weren't allowed to serve in World War 2, so the addition of a black woman doesn't really work for the reasons I am giving it, (sorry if you took offense to my thoughtless comment, because I didn't mean for it to come across that way) but at least the addition would make the film a little bit more diverse. How many times do we have to see the same ****ing male characters in these war films when the movie is supposed to be a stupid B movie? Like Jesus christ. They are so boring. Even the black man acts like every scaredy cat war boy we have seen in cinema's history. Have the characters do some overacting, add a Hawksian woman, do something that hasn't been done in a while. My god the first 40 minutes of the movie are written and cut like they are from the most generic History Channel mini-series about World War 2.

Huh...who was the black woman in Overlord?

You had a black guy in Overlord because it's a Cloverfield/Fringe film that's dealing with alternate histories and that's how they tell the stories

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Daniel Isn't Real (Adam Egypt Mortimer, 2019)
I was quite surprised by the story, which can be played as a demented and twisted version of Drop Dead Fred. The story of a man who reconnects with his childhood imaginary friend takes a very dark twist and it is driven by the performance of Patrick Schwarzenegger as the titular Daniel. It is clear he has no intention of being an action star like his pops and he doesn't need to...not after this film.

Stalker (1979)

For the most part, it's beautiful to look at but I don't find its attempt at the philosophy that interesting. It's almost like the story (the journey and sparse discussions) is just an excuse to put the images on film. The audio was terrible and (perhaps partly because of that) the acting wasn't too good either. Guess I'll have to be an iconoclast again.

--

Especial de Natal: Se Beber, Não Ceie (2018)

A Brazilian short film about The Last Supper. Delightfully distasteful parody of Christ and his apostles. There are few weak jokes in its 40 minutes but for the most part, it's laugh-out-loud good. Best comedy I've seen in a long time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Mask of Dimitrios (Jean Negulesco, 1944)
6/10
Night Train to Munich (Carol Reed,1940)
- 6.5/10
The Asteroids (Germano Maccioni, 2017)
5/10
Lady in the Lake (Robert Montgomery, 1944)
6.5/10

In a film using almost entirely subjective camera, employer/femme fatale/girlfriend Audrey Totter discusses with private dick Philip Marlowe (Robert Montgomery) his murder case over Christmas
Not Tonight Henry (W. Merle Connell, 1960)
5/10
Night and Day (Michael Curtiz, 1946)
6/10
The Island (Toka McBaror, 2018)
5/10
Senso (Luchino Visconti, 1954)
6/10

Love affair between Italian countess Alida Valli and Austrian lieutenant Farley Granger may ruin their lives.
The Squaw Man (Cecil B. DeMille & Oscar Apfel, 1914)
5.5/10
Johnny Winter: Down & Dirty (Greg Olliver, 2014)
6.5 /10
Payday (Cheta Chukwu, 2018)
5/10
Double Dare (Amanda Micheli, 2004)
6.5/10

Before she hooked up with Tarantino, Zoe Bell was Xena's Lucy Lawless' stunt double.
Nashville Girl (Gus Trikonis, 1976)
6/10
Virgin Witch (Ray Austin, 1972)
- 5/10
House of Seven Belles (Andy Milligan, 1979)
4.5/10
Dead Man's Line (Alan Berry & Mark Enochs, 2018)
- 7/10

Anthony Kiritsis was an intense news story when he turned Indianapolis crazy for 60 hours and later caused some changes to the legal system.
Summer City (Christopher Fraser, 1977)
5/10
Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes & Daniel Schmidt, 2018)
6/10
State Park (Kerry Feltham & Kerry Feltham, 1888)
Angry Inukl (Alethea Arnaquq-Bari 2016)
6.5/10

Inuk filmmaker and activists battle the E.U. ban and multi-million campaigns against their cultural rights to sell seal skin and skin-based products to literally keep Inuits alive.

Midsommar (2019)

Saw this in theaters and gave it a 3, but I kept thinking about certain pieces and wanting to see this again. It's a shocking movie that I love telling people about, and it's just as eerie and tense the second time. Upping the rating

Joker (2019)

Good, really good but I'm not sure if I loved it. Definitely a film that needs more viewings to fully digest. Mad Taxi Driver vibes.

Oren Moverman, 2014

Richard Gere, New York city homeless for ten years with dementia looking for someone. Beautifully filmed this movie, stationary camera, behind city objects, like if only the city were watching a homeless and no one else, gives you the impression of New York city like most movies don't, and it's hard to film NY, the city became a cliche, it's immensely photogenic. The author respected the time, this means the movie is slow. There is not evident plot, everything appears as we go, the point is to show events, or the lack of them, that is the life of a homeless. A very indie kind of film, the character is not romanticized in any way, nothing is romanticized, a very noncommercial movie, maybe that's why they had so many delays and setbacks, having Richard Gere in such a film I believe would not be easy. Anyway, this was considered a failure by the critics, I believe this is one of those movie I'd like to see more often, where the directors do what they want, not what we want them to do, I like that, that's why I re-watched it last night. Only one person recognized Richard Gere while he was begging for money, that's New York, and I wouldn't change it, that's it's beauty and I believe Oren's made a great job showing some of that.

After hearing a little about Uncut Gems I decided to look up the directors previous films. This was available to stream so I checked it out and it's pretty solid. First time seeing Robert Pattinson in anything and he was really good.

Man, this film is all over the place. If you’ve ever seen a Bunuel film, you’ll understand what I mean.
Still, the dream within dreams and constant spectre of death Permeates this film. It’s actually really good. Won’t go into it much as it’s without a doubt one of those films you must see for yourself!

4 *’s
It’s a classic of cinema.

The Adventures of Captain Fabien - A fairly good drama starring Errol Flynn and the ever watchable Vincent Price.

Halfway House - An enjoyable enough ghost drama starring Mervyn Johns.

The trick is not minding

Man, this film is all over the place. If you’ve ever seen a Bunuel film, you’ll understand what I mean.
Still, the dream within dreams and constant spectre of death Permeates this film. It’s actually really good. Won’t go into it much as it’s without a doubt one of those films you must see for yourself!

4 *’s
It’s a classic of cinema.
It’s amazing the more I think back to it.

The Godfather (1972)

After failing to finish The Irishman I had to ensure that a long mob epic can still be good. It's not perfect (I kinda dislike both Brando and Pacino here; too much time is spent at weddings, funerals, and baptisms; Sonny beating his brother-in-law is almost as bad as de Niro beating the shopkeeper) but surely one of the best mafia films.

Noi Albinoi left me basking in the impact of it's final scene long after the movie credits ran out. It gave me similar vibes to Lilya 4-ever and Show Me Love. I loved it.