Pets

Tools    

Used to have a flowerhorn, catfish, siamese fighting fish, and turtle.
Now looking after the stray cats that come by my house every once in a while.
They usually just laze around near the porch.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Well. I got good news and bad news.

Good news first. Puppy's owner tracked me down. Back when I found her late May, I posted a few pics to facebook lost pet groups.

This afternoon I kept getting weird FB IMs from different people. Seems a guy was posting on the old thread with a few photos of the dog. Same markings and spot patterns. They showed up a little over an hour ago. Not sure how they knew where I lived but ...facebook. I guess.

Whatever. The photos match. I asked if I could keep her till she could pick her up on the way home from work tomorrow night. They agreed.

I figure the bad news goes without saying.

Not sure where my emotions are as they keep spiraling out. I never wanted another dog after DB passed. Puppy just showed up. I made an effort to get her home, but eventually submitted and got attached. Man. This REALLY sucks.

Damn that's a hard one Yin, a real whirlpool of mixed emotions I'm sure.
Do they live anywhere near, would visiting Puppy occasionally perhaps be an option?
Really feel for ya buddy!

This REALLY sucks.
So you’ve had Puppy for 6 entire months. What are these people like? Who loses a dog for 6 months?

Is there any way you can negotiate with them to keep Puppy? Give them some money perhaps?

Whenever a lost cat comes to our yard I never look for its owner. I figure if you let your cat get lost, you don’t deserve to keep it. I don’t think I would ever return a cat to its prior owner. Not so much for me, but for the safety of the cat.

Whenever a lost cat comes to our yard I never look for its owner. I figure if you let your cat get lost, you don’t deserve to keep it. I don’t think I would ever return a cat to its prior owner. Not so much for me, but for the safety of the cat.
That's a really messed up philosophy to have.

Things happen. Even "indoor" cats sometimes get outside. I've had Jasper for 7 years. He's an indoor cat, but he has a strong desire to go outside and he has succeeded on a number of occasions. Sometimes it's been because of human error - doors being accidentally left open by family members - but not always. He's learned to pry the back screen door open with his claws and has pushed out the window screen as well.

I'd do anything for that cat. I've spent thousands of dollars saving his life - not only earlier this year when he swallowed the needle and thread, but also several years back when he developed a urinary obstruction. He's my baby. But I guess I don't deserve to have him because I've "let him get lost."

I offered to buy her. They declined. She had Puppy from 4 months old with pics. All the spots matched. She reacted well like she was excited to see them.

Sucks, but I tried to imagine how I would feel had I lost DB and someone else found her. I agree 6 months is a long time, but she was theirs.

I feel bad for you. I would be devastated.

Just remember that in the shelter is a stray dog just waiting for you.

I offered to buy her. They declined. She had Puppy from 4 months old with pics. All the spots matched. She reacted well like she was excited to see them.

Sucks, but I tried to imagine how I would feel had I lost DB and someone else found her. I agree 6 months is a long time, but she was theirs.
Ugh that's messed up but you did what was right all around. Take solace with the fact that you did a very good thing.

Not to belabor the point, but didn’t you have Puppy fixed? Or at least incur some vet bills IIRC?

Curious to know how close to your house did these people live & did they ever tell you how Puppy came to be lost?

Not to belabor the point, but didn’t you have Puppy fixed? Or at least incur some vet bills IIRC?

Curious to know how close to your house did these people live & did they ever tell you how Puppy came to be lost?
She was not fixed yet. I had that scheduled during the Christmas break when I planned to board her about two weeks. I did spend quite a bit of money on her though, yes. I didn't feel it was ethical to ask for anything unless they iffered as that would feel too much like a ransom situation for me. The guy mention her being gone when he got home from work one day. Based on a few other comments I figure they keep her inside during the night and outside when away at work in case she needs to do her puppy business.

They are anywhere between 3-6 miles away. I don't k lnow the house but the road is a few turns away, like a "Z" pattern of roads.

Pathetically, I made sure we slowly drove there and back with the windows down. In case she got loose again maybe she can sniff her way back.

⬆️ Ugh, I bet they never get Puppy fixed. If she does break loose again, she would have no problem whatsoever finding her way back to you.

Ossie all healed now and delighted to be outside and lounging precariously on top of his cathouse.

Ossie all healed now and delighted to be outside and lounging precariously on top of his cathouse.
Anti-grav cats are awesome!

Anti-grav cats are awesome!
He's actually 10% drop-bear which is prolly why he can do this

A system of cells interlinked
So, this happened...

Pffftttt, Ossie has eyes that are colour co-ordinated (right=bRown; left=bLue) and is generally far cuter (especially with his current Nohican haircut).