MoFo Fantasy Football 2019 - The Regular Season

Tools    

I'm fine with experimenting with another league, too. Open-minded about all of it, really. But I do like the idea of finding little ways here and there to make it all a little less random.

Well, somehow I'm not eliminated yet, though when the dust settles I'd need to outscore 7th by about 50 points to make the playoffs. It'd actually look Not Insane if I'd played Buffalo or Mostert, or if Kittle had done much, but it's still not impossible, which is pretty bananas.

Well, somehow I'm not eliminated yet, though when the dust settles I'd need to outscore 7th by about 50 points to make the playoffs. It'd actually look Not Insane if I'd played Buffalo or Mostert, or if Kittle had done much, but it's still not impossible, which is pretty bananas.

I was looking at that yesterday and I would also have to lose my match this week as well, unless I am doing math bad, which I have been known to do.

You're correct. And I need to win, too. I didn't mention it because it was hard to imagine too many scenarios where I outscored you by that much and you won anyway, but geez, if it ain't looking kinda plausible now.

It'd be looking really workable if I'd started Jeffrey and the Buffalo D, or even just Mostert, or literally anyone other than Kittle. But so it goes.

The really crazy thing happened last week, though: Donnie won by a single point. If he hadn't I'd basically already have a spot locked up.

And it was kinda wild how it happened; he was a huge underdog midway through Sunday's games, but by the end he was up by a point and Kupp needed just one middling catch, against a prevent defense no less. Goff pick, no stat correction, game over. It looks like that's going to be the difference, amazingly. And that's with the misfortune of running into Josh during his best-scoring week of the year.

Football, man.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
You can't win every year.

I'm staring at the possibility of being third place before last week to out of the playoffs completely in 2 weeks unless Diggs scores like 25 tonight in a non ppr format.

Reading some analysis of the games, and boy does this speak to me on multiple levels:

Rob Weintraub: The NFL is a billion-dollar business, the players and coaches work impossibly hard year-round, and yet games are decided on such falderol and gimcrackery as that pass interference call and huge yardage gained as a result. Never ceases to amaze.

Oh man, a fitting ending: Adam wins by less that a point, both of us over 140, nobody else within about 30 of either of us. It's the 18th closest loss ever, and just the 14th time someone's hit that plateau without winning. IE: it happens just about once a year.

Turns out I faced the top score four times (I'll have to see if that's a record), including three of the last four weeks. About 40% of my games I drew either the top scorer or the second-highest scorer.

No complaints about the tippy top, though: Adam's got the #1 seed and over 100 points on everyone else. It's not a new points record or anything, even in the half-PPR area here, but it's pretty impressive.

Adam had the top score in five different weeks, which ties the record I set in 2014. His are particularly well-spaced out, coming in Weeks 1, 4, 9, 11, and 13.

For the season as a whole, we saw six scores of ~60 or lower, and five that cracked the top 30-ish lowest scores in league history. Definitely saw way more "bust" weeks this year than ever before, I'd say.

Just noticed Donnie's combined margin of victory these last two weeks was 1.72. Not only did he hang on to make the playoffs, he won three of his last four without cracking the century mark, finishing 9-4. That's his best mark ever, and I believe the second time he's made the playoffs.

The Baby Yoda avatar where he looks grumpy is very fitting for those posts

I scored the least.pointa this season and my opponents scored the 4th most. Ah well, I tried.

Turns out I faced the top score four times (I'll have to see if that's a record)
Turns out: only sort of! Technically, one other team faced the top scorer four times (Adam), but it was back in the league's first year (2008), when we played 14 weeks instead of 13. It also ended up being immaterial since his score was the third-lowest that season.

I found a handful of times people faced the top score three times. And I found a couple of lovely seasons where the person facing the top scoring team rotated evenly all the way up through weeks 9 or 10. Doesn't look like it's ever been evenly distributed, but usually the unluckiest team ends up in the 2-3 range.

Maybe I should see if I could build a quick parser to log all these in a database...

My players decided to take this past weekend off, rest up and save all their scoring for the playoffs.

I have a feeling this week is going to come down to A. Cooper for me. Sit or play???? Tough decision. The Bears are usually pretty tough against the pass, at least statistically. OTOH I have Washington for the Steelers who was a great pick up for me and he catches some crazy tough balls, but is he a fluke or will he get enough targets??? I decided to play Cooper and go all in with the Dak/Cooper connection. Just one passing TD to Cooper gives me a good score. I predict both Washington and Cooper have good games but Cooper makes 2 tds or at least gets a lot of passes his way. My other starting WR is Boyd who I think is going to be pretty solid this week.

Hard to sit a Steeler over a Cowboy, damn FF made me sell out .

I mean, who knows which you'll get. The receiving monster or the guy who either gets hurt or vanishes at the worst possible time? Be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, good luck today guys. As a bystander I'm mostly just hoping for some fun matchups and record book entries. Have fun navigating the randsanity (that's a word I just made up that combines randomness and insanity) of the fantasy football playoffs.