Watchmen (HBO series)

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Finished the first ep.

Love the score. Loves. It.

I don't know if it's intentional, but some of the scenes look a little low budget. The Jeremy Irons scene reminded me of some 80's-90's PBS/BBC content. I don't know if it was camera angles/lenses or what.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I liked it. Bits of the episode were a tad predictable, but overall I like the aesthetics of it and have no problem with how loose Lindelof is playing in this world.

Suspect's Reviews

Well episode 2 let the cat out of the bag, or did they? It seemed so obvious that Crocket was a nefarious actor, so maybe someone is pulling the string to make it seem like he was. The closet scene seems too obvious and Lindeof had said things were going to be nebulous, so I'm sure it's a red herring.

I think the best anyone can hope for is a Leftovers three season run. This thing is so dense and niche and expensive, I don't see it lasting long. Could be wrong.

E3. Jean Smart instantly made this more interesting. I would have never thought she would be in stuff like this and Fargo after her humble beginnings This show is a good watch, but it doesn't have that magnetic anticipation.

I wasn't keeping up to date with casting etc before it aired, it took me 4 episodes to realise that was Louis Gossett Jr! Loving Jeremy Irons too. I'm pretty sure I'm in for the long haul

I relish the Jeremy Irons bits. So glad to see that he lost that stutter

Well, four episodes in and I'm looking forward to this as much as just about anything else on television. The writing is so good. So many lines accomplish several things at once.

"My feet are fine."

I'm caught up to e6, which was pretty neat with the time-shift. I'm a little confused about Hooded Justice, but I'm guessing it's a mantle that gets passed down.

The Looking Glass history lesson was a nice bit.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If you needed more evidence that the Golden Globes are a joke, WATCHMEN didn't get a single nomination.
When were the cutoffs for noms?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
Guessing they didn't feel like nominating something that requires reading a book first.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I missed last night's episode, but I've had trouble keeping on top of it. The last two episodes were great (for me), which I'm glad as I've been on the fence since starting it. Nothing really bad about it, but I felt that without the soundtrack to keep a certain rhythm of tension building I might have given up earlier. Maybe the casting? Some of the action felt off in the first episode too. I mean, after the movie's lovely choreography and use of slow motion I guess I was expecting more from that universe. Probably unrealistic of me to do so. It also bugged me with how often the masks came off for casual conversation. That felt quite out of place to believe, as a viewer, in the danger and risk that these officers are supposed to be hiding from.

WARNING: "Early Episode Reveals" spoilers below
Didn't our protagonist retire from the police force as a result of the attack on her home to then take up a mask to fight crime in relative anonymity? Pulling her mask down in the first Seventh Calvary safe house raid where cameras might be or other Calvary members could still be hiding felt, well, dumb. To say the least. Or in Looking Glass' car. Granted, his windows were tinted but why risk it if the danger is in having your family shotgunned in the middle of the night if someone learns your identity? Same when she took in Hooded Justice. She had no idea who he was! OKOK. At risk of turning this into a Pony show, I'll ease off my criticisms. ;P But comparatively speaking, the first several episodes were arguably weaker than the latter few. If others are of similar opinions, then perhaps that was a gauge for admission into a nominated category?

With that, I'm still not so invested to catch it when it airs. I don't think it is the story, though it has felt like a slow burn to what now seems to be something worthy of the Watchmen gravity---or at least it has the potential to be. I hope so. And I do believe the last one or two episodes that I have seen (minus last night's, of course) have been rightfully weird and expanding. Which is great, IMO.

Guessing they didn't feel like nominating something that requires reading a book first.
It seems to get good responses from people who didn't read the source material, and the show expends plenty of energy (often very elegantly, though occasionally with the clumsiness typical of all exposition) catching people up with the basics of the world. I did, so I can't fully appreciate or understand how that all lands.

If you needed more evidence that the Golden Globes are a joke, WATCHMEN didn't get a single nomination.
That's messed up

Last episode was really good, was wondering how J would be handled and wasn't disappointed

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I LOVE this show.

The writing, cinematography, acting and the MUSIC...all top-notch.

Episode 6, when Lady Night overdoses on Nostalgia (great concept) and she relives her grandfathers experiences....that episode felt like nothing I've really seen on tv before. It is one of my favourite episodes of television, ever.

The Dr. Manhattan episode was lovely.

One episode left.

I LOVE this show.

The writing, cinematography, acting and the MUSIC...all top-notch.

Episode 6, when Lady Night overdoses on Nostalgia (great concept) and she relives her grandfathers experiences....that episode felt like nothing I've really seen on tv before. It is one of my favourite episodes of television, ever.

The Dr. Manhattan episode was lovely.

One episode left.
Agreed on episode 6

The delivery of the line "did I start all this?" In the last episode where I thought it was a bit ropey, other than that the acting is ace

I messed up and watched ep 7 before going to bed, when I had to be up the next day. You know, one of those "I can get 4 hours of sleep if I fall asleep immediately and keep lying to myself about how it won't affect me at all tomorrow

I passed on watching 8 that night, but I needed it. I can't remember being on the hook for an episode like that in a while. Then ep 8 was kind of a mixed bag. It was great to finally get these reveals, but it felt a bit wonky at times. For Dr. Manhattan to be a god, he seems to be so easily manipulated by Veidt. You know that Veidt is setting him up for something and I guess he has a play in the 7K scheme. Who else is gonna develop them a "mad scientist trap for a god"?

I fell asleep halfway and need to re-watch, but man...Dr. Manhattan really seems like a brick.

I must say they did a good job wrapping it up and making a nice, little, tight 9 episode package. Although. I just don't get the whole Dr. Manhattan story. I understand he didn't want to deal with his "god" life and may have been disoriented by living in all the timelines at once, but it just seemed like a way to nerf him so everything else could happen.

Good call back with the Cyclops and the "just do it already"