Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I do not get the Dybala rumour at all. He is still a hugely talented lad whose ceiling is too damn high. I won't be surprised if it's just his agent using the transfer market to get a better wage.

Kean to Everton is a top signing. Juventus failed with the buy back clause, but have dibs on him if they want him again. He has the game and the physicality to excel in the EPL.

As for Pepe, it's a stunning signing for Arsenal. Sort of like Salah - favours the left foot, pacey, plays on the right, likes to cut inside, good dribbler, good on set pieces and hard worker. Apparently, we heavily scouted him but decided against signing him. Arsenal have made some decent buys, but that defence still looks two-three signings short.

As for us, I now know how Spurs fans feel like during transfer windows.

I do not get the Dybala rumour at all. He is still a hugely talented lad whose ceiling is too damn high. I won't be surprised if it's just his agent using the transfer market to get a better wage.
I'd usually think this is the most likely, but Juve is overloaded with forwards and, at 25, he is about to hit his prime. He needs to play and, with his talent, he really should be the main man. Maybe not United, as much as I'd like it, but I do feel he should go to somewhere else where he plays in a position where he can be most effective and be one of the first names on the team sheet.

TBH, the biggest trouble I have believing all this is that Juve would want Lukaku. Why? Maybe with Ronaldo there they need a big signing who will sacrifice himself for the good of the team? Lukaku does that sometimes with Belgium and OGS used him that way a little last season. I also wonder whether it's just to delay his deal with Inter? It's always funny to **** with your rivals.

As for Pepe, it's a stunning signing for Arsenal. Sort of like Salah - favours the left foot, pacey, plays on the right, likes to cut inside, good dribbler, good on set pieces and hard worker. Apparently, we heavily scouted him but decided against signing him. Arsenal have made some decent buys, but that defence still looks two-three signings short.

As for us, I now know how Spurs fans feel like during transfer windows.
You did your spending last summer. As successful as Liverpool have been recently and how big the club is, its spending power just isn't alongside the big spending clubs in Europe who can do that every summer if they choose. That's not to say that no one else will come in. But I wouldn't expect a star or anyone over about £20m-£25m.

I've seen Pepe's stats and they're impressive, but I just don't remember seeing him play and that price is eyewatering for a player for whom that's the case. It might look cheap in a years time, but it's a club record and I can't remember the last time someone went for huge money that I'd not seen play.

Arsenal's front three look and sound like they could really tear up some defences this season, but like you, I look at their defence and wonder how many they'll have to score in order to get the three points regularly? I'm not sold on their midfield either.

United have agreed the deal for Harry Maguire. This really needs to be Woodward's last summer in charge of all this. £80m for a player whose price was £80m when we first asked and then offered incremental increases to a team which has no need to sell and doesn't want to. He's a defender who's going to improve our team (which in itself is depressing IMO) and will need to build a partnership with whoever he'll be playing with and, therefore, an early purchase would help a lot with that. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that we should've just gone in with £80m on day one. He's hugely overpriced and you have to try negotiation, but when it's obvious that that's their price and they aren't going to budge at all, then you either pay it or not. If you decide you're going to, then get it done and give them the best chance of settling in.

With that kind of money you should have gone for Koulibaly. Two years older than Maguire but more of a leader. He could have had the same effect on your team as Van Dijk had on us.
Maguire could still come off as a good buy, who knows.

Agree on the Dybala bit completely. Also true that they could be screwing Inter. Conte has a strange hardon for Lukaku. Wanted him when he was managing Chelsea as well. But Dybala if it happens would give you guys a huge lift.

As for us. I didn't want any big signings, but cover for several positions. We are going to rely on Milner and couple of 17—18 year olds as fullback covers. And with the rumoured Lovren to Roma transfer, the defensive options are diminishing further.

I don't like our options up top as well. Shaqiri has failed after the good start. Origi is alright. And then we have Brewster, who is highly rated, but a kid. Reckon we have the money, considering the club made 250million from last season's good run. Our net spend for the past five years in still less than Arsenal, Brighton and Bournemouth.

let me tell you, the club that grabs Bruno Fernandes won't be sorry
i've been following that guy for a long, long time, what a gem
in the portugal sub-21 team he was the captain and already the best player
the only problem is his stupid personality, his a little cry baby

With that kind of money you should have gone for Koulibaly. Two years older than Maguire but more of a leader. He could have had the same effect on your team as Van Dijk had on us. Maguire could still come off as a good buy, who knows.
I can only think that we tried for Koulibaly and we couldn't get him. I know he's a little older (and would have no sell on value which is a bugbear of Woodward's and where he and Mourinho fell out) and untried in the Premier League, but he's obviously head and shoulders better than pretty much any other CB available.

I agree that Maguire could work out and be fantastic for us and, maybe, he was the best we could get? It's annoying that Mou wanted him last year and Woodward wouldn't spend the money. Now he's spent more, Mou's gone and he's here anyway.

I remember when VVD went to Liverpool and everyone and their mother was saying it was ridiculous money. It was, but within a year, it looked like money well spent. I'm a big fan of his and he was someone I wanted United to buy from Celtic, along with Wanyama. I didn't know if they'd be good enough for United at that time, but at the price they were both on offer, I thought it was well worth the risk. There again, as long time members here will testify, sometimes I just see someone and become convinced they can do a job for us. Morgan Schneiderlin was one of those players too and looked what happened there. How he fell of a cliff in terms of performance I still can't understand. Even at Everton he's done nothing.

As for us. I didn't want any big signings, but cover for several positions. We are going to rely on Milner and couple of 17—18 year olds as fullback covers. And with the rumoured Lovren to Roma transfer, the defensive options are diminishing further.
I agree that relying on the current back up you have is asking for trouble come the second half of the season. I don't know about the youth set up at Liverpool so I've no idea if you have potential cover there or not.

Reckon we have the money, considering the club made 250million from last season's good run. Our net spend for the past five years in still less than Arsenal, Brighton and Bournemouth.
Even as CL winners Liverpool fans can't leave the net spend alone.

Just be thankful you don't have Ed Woodward buying your players. You'd be looking at trying to buy Messi and Ronaldo having already bought Neymar.

let me tell you, the club that grabs Bruno Fernandes won't be sorry
i've been following that guy for a long, long time, what a gem
in the portugal sub-21 team he was the captain and already the best player
the only problem is his stupid personality, his a little cry baby
Apart from the personality thing, this is good to hear. I really do hope that United go for him but, again, we've left everything so late and probably in the hope of saving a couple of million we can easily afford. Of course, it could be that United just aren't an attractive proposition to many elite players atm.

News in todays papers here that he's told Sporting he wants to go to Spurs.

There's also something in one of the papers saying United have made a deal with Juve for both Dybala and Mandzukic for Lukaku. I still can't believe there'll be a swap deal, but for both? Unless Juve have to get rid for FFP regulations I can't see it. You wonder how they get away writing it?

Now that it has closed, at least for the English Premier league, I bet @Doolallyfrank must be satisfied if not happy. Those seem like smart buys.

@honeykid should be happy for getting 70+ million for Lukaku. Not signing a striker was bad on your club's part, but you still have decent young options. And can always spend in January.

Looking at the way Luiz left, it seems Chelsea might finally have a manager who is more powerful than the players.

Are you lads up for early prediction for fun sake?

Top 4, bottom three and surprise package.

Here's mine
Top 4
Man City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal

Bottom three
Newcastle
Brighton
Sheffield United

Surprise package
Aston Villa.

Now that it has closed, at least for the English Premier league, I bet @Doolallyfrank must be satisfied if not happy. Those seem like smart buys.

Are you lads up for early prediction for fun sake?

Top 4, bottom three and surprise package.

Here's mine
Top 4
Man City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal

Bottom three
Newcastle
Brighton
Sheffield United

Surprise package
Aston Villa.
I'm definitely satisfied, looking forward to seeing Ndombele (chose him for the back of my home shirt this year)
Lo Celso is the type of player I'm on the fence about, if Eriksen goes in the euro window then he'll get more of a chance to prove himself. I think that'll happen to be honest, shame as we might really miss his creativity, I think he's been top in assists for us 4 years running at least? I remember sky showing stats during a game last year comparing him against Hazard and a few others since Eriksen joined spurs, Hazard topped in goals but Eriksen was top for everything else.
Sessegnon is similar to Lo Celso as we have 3 left backs, Rose will probably go (deal probably in place, will go through now Sess is done) although could be similar to Bale's transition to more attacking, I think he's very suited to when we go 3 at the back

Top 4:

City - champions after 33 games
Man United
Tottenham
Arsenal
(Heart says this, head says Arsenal 3rd)

Bottom 3:
Burnley
Norwich
Sheffield United

I think it's a tough year for Liverpool, even more for Chelsea. Wolves in Europe will be hard the further they go. Everton not making Europa will be a blessing, Kean could be explosive (dream team bargain pick)

All I ever want is an exciting season, last season will be very tough to top

It's another failed transder window with Woodward I think. While I'm very happy with Wan Bissaka and think that Maguire is an upgrade, there needed to be more. I don't wholly blame him for not being able to get out the deadwood as we're probably paying wages that a buying team would have trouble paying. However, we needed another midfielder (possibly at least two, especially if Pogba does go) and with Tielemans at Leicester for £40m, (maybe he was happy and settled there, but how did we not go for him?) Eriksen hoping he gets his move to Spain (probably), James Madison being almost impossible to get from Leicester considering how much we paid for Maguire and Bruno Fernandes not coming we have Matic and Scott McTominay as our midfield. As much as I love to see academy players come through, unless OGS is seeing something in training we didn't see during his appearances in the first team last season, McTominay is on the fringes of the squad. Not a starter I know young, British with Premier League experience is what he wants, but did we even go for Declan Rice? We do have some young midfielders which can play there, but it'll probably be asking too much. What's happened to Fred? Can OGS start with him alongside Matic? A midfield three might help, but then we can't seem to get the best out of Pogba that way.

Then there's the forwards. I like Lukaku but he's never seemed a fit for United and he's very streaky. The money is an excellent price and I think it's a good move for everyone. I think he'll do better at Conte's Inter and six months from now it wouldn't surprise me if the radio switchboards are crammed with United fans asking why we let him go? It was the right thing to get rid IMO though. But to not replace him? Again, I'm not sure how much of this is Ole saying he's OK with what he's got/seen from Rashford, Martial, Sanchez and Greenwood and how much is Woodward's obvious ineptness? I read, I think it was on the BBC website, that we rejected the chance to buy Moise Kean. If that's true then I want answers as even if Lukaku had stayed he'd be an excellent option and one which would surely increase in price. Something Woodward likes.

Whatever the case, for all his faults Lukaku still scored more goals last season than Rashford. People here know I love Martial, but he's superb for about 8 games a season, gets a few more goals at other times and then nothing else. Sanchez? If OSG can get him to be even half the player he was at Arsenal I think that'd be an achievement and Greenwood is a kid. Literally. Unless he becomes a Ryan Giggs or a Michael Owen this season he might chip in with a few goals throughout the season, but that'll be all. This might leave us relying on a disinterested/disappointed Pogba to be top scorer from midfield.

Doolally Frank has us second. Surely that's a typo? Maybe it's just my fear speaking, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if one of the chasing pack pushed us to 7th. I live in hope, but at this moment, have little faith that we'll do better than 6th again. Maybe we'll pip Chelsea to 5th? I do think it's close between 4th and 6th but I think Arsenal's transfer window and Emery's second season will be enough for them to just pip the other two.

Top 4
City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Arsenal

Bottom 3
Brighton & Hove Albion
Burnley
Sheffield United

Surprise package
Norwich City

I think it'll be close again between City and Liverpool barring injuries. Only United have won three in a row, but Pep is the closest type of manager to Fergie that I've seen and that, alongside the quality and depth of the team put City on top for me. Plus they have, arguably, the best player in the league fit and playing again in De Bruyne. Someone they didn't have for much of last season and still managed to win with a huge points total. They bought in Rodri to shore up Fernandinho while Liverpool haven't really bought in anyone. For me, the only thing which will stop City will be history (there a reason no one but United have done it) or if it's close and they focus slightly more on the CL. Though, much like Fergie, that's not the sort of thing which Pep does even if the club would like him to.

Spurs have had a great window and I think they'll be a lot closer to the top two at the end of this season. No more than 10-12 points away is my guess.

BTW, Norwich are now 4-0 down. I stick with them as my surprise package though. Liverpool will take apart better teams than Norwich home and away.

Good win, slightly ruined by Alisson's injury. Hopefully nothing serious.

Mighty impressed by Norwich. Look like a proper footballing side, but they need to be less open against the big sides.

Doolally Frank has us second. Surely that's a typo?
No typo, I really think you'll challenge this year, you needed big signings to protect De Gea and you made 2 of the biggest you could've made, you'll concede less for sure.
I can see Martial and Rashford alternating up top and both have the potential to score like Salah and Mane were last season.

I heard a story about Fred about a month after he signed, Uniteds first offer was in the £40m region, the Shakhtar board were apparently laughing/cheering about it that they were overpaying and one said (paraphrasing) "tell them we want €60m!" So they ended up paying £52m. I'm not a fan but maybe Ole can get the best out of him. Shaw still has lots to give/prove, Matic isn't the Matic of old but he's still fairly reliable, this is pretty much his and Mata's last shot at a trophy that they'll really contribute towards.
You'll finish above Arsenal, you had a better window IMO

United supporter at work thinks Ole out by January, I strongly disagree

Good win, slightly ruined by Alisson's injury. Hopefully nothing serious.

Mighty impressed by Norwich. Look like a proper footballing side, but they need to be less open against the big sides.
I agree with you on both points. It's why I picked them for my surprise team. I think Norwich will pick up plenty of points from the teams from about 10th down. Alisson's looked like a calf injury. If it's muscular then 2-4 weeks?

No typo, I really think you'll challenge this year, you needed big signings to protect De Gea and you made 2 of the biggest you could've made, you'll concede less for sure.
I completely agree with you about this. Had Woodward been competent at his job (well, this part of it anyway) and got these two signing down relatively early, I'd be more confident of not dropping early season points as that back five would be further along in their development as a unit. I do think keeping De Gea is the most important signing of the summer for us

I can see Martial and Rashford alternating up top and both have the potential to score like Salah and Mane were last season.
I don't know about those numbers this season, but I can see them being alternated like that but I think Ole will want to give Rashford the a run as the #1 striker. Again, if they can perform to the best of their ability on a regular basis then we'll be challenging top 4. But only Rashford gives me hope because of his age. Recent history shows us what Martial and Sanchez are most likely to do.

I heard a story about Fred about a month after he signed, Uniteds first offer was in the £40m region, the Shakhtar board were apparently laughing/cheering about it that they were overpaying and one said (paraphrasing) "tell them we want €60m!" So they ended up paying £52m.
I think that could well be true or in the spirit of the truth, but it's United. All English clubs over pay for their players because of the money that's here and United overpay more than most because we're the richest. It's always been like that.

Shaw still has lots to give/prove, Matic isn't the Matic of old but he's still fairly reliable, this is pretty much his and Mata's last shot at a trophy that they'll really contribute towards.
You'll finish above Arsenal, you had a better window IMO

United supporter at work thinks Ole out by January, I strongly disagree
I really like Shaw and if he can stay fit I think he can excel. McTominay needs to be next to Matic because he doesn't have any legs at all now. But playing next to him could give him a lot. If we play 4-2-3-1 then Mata in behind a striker is what I'd want to see, but it will be Pogba. If his head's right, that's fine. If not then sit him down and put Mata there.

If things work out well I think can finish 4th. But I think that'll say more about Chelsea and Arsenal than it does United. No matter how positive I am, a well run United wouldn't be in this mess. If we were finishing 6th it would be because there were five brilliant teams above us. Not two, a very good Spurs and the others. I really hope Ole can do something here because, with the people in charge, it's the only chance we have of even challenging while they're there.

Ole out by Christmas? I doubt it. But if the crowd have turned by then, it could be sooner.

Oooh I love hearing Dual of the Fates as Tottenham walk out! Chills every time

Edit: I think we were a bit lucky, villa score and in my head it's "oh ffs, same ol' crap"
Eriksen was the game changer, which is bittersweet in a way, gonna miss him so much

Depending on how the team plays, getting Adrian in to replace Mignolet might be your most important transfer since Alisson.

I didn't get to see the game yesterday but listened to it on the radio and watched the highlights. Pretty pleased with the game as a whole. Chelsea were in control for the first half and we were lucky to go in a goal up. Considering Chelsea's forward options, that wasn't a good sign for games against better forwards (and despite playing for Chelsea there's plenty of teams with a more threatening attack than Abraham) but time as a back four should improve them and I have no complaints about a 4-0 win. Plus, it's good to get three points from Chelsea before they start to come together under Lampard. Despite that we do have to concede that on another day we could've been 2-0 down at halftime and had no complaints.

Messi has been special, but I enjoyed seeing Van Dijk win this. Totally deserved. Has been phenomenal for us. Was also nice to see Alisson get the GK prize.

But the moment of the night was definitely Eric Cantona 😂.

Also, on a side note easy draw for us and City. Group F is the proverbial group of death. Slavia Prague's owners reaction to being drawn in that group was priceless.

Hating it, this is my darkest time as a spurs supporter.
Moron-iho plays the most boring football, "he's a winner" as everyone says but I don't like anything about him (his antics, tricks etc)
I was chatting to a guy at work who said he knew a scout at Tottenham and there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes apparently, Poch has been working them too hard in training so the players are knackered on game day (with the way the season started, I would probably do the same though) but this has been handled completely wrong for me. I've had 5 entertaining years with Poch, he over achieved every year, we were close to Leicester for that miracle season up until the Chelsea game where it fell apart.
Honestly, I wanna send my shirt back this year for a refund, I imagine this is how someone feels when they find out their wife has cheated on them with their Dad or something. I actually would've preferred Wenger at the helm