A Million Little Things

Tools    

Just watched Ep 11 last night and for the second time in a week, my image of a TV character has been blown to shreds...last week it was Jack on This is Us and now it's John on this show. I have to confess I'm totally confused right now about what John was doing before he jumped off that balcony. Was he trying to buy that building? Why? But most important of all, why would he leave Delilah and his family in danger of losing their home and responsible for an 18 million dollar loan? And what's Ashley's role not to mention the mysterious lady (Constance Zimmer) she confronted at the end of the hour? And Eddie REALLY messed up when he showed up at Delilah's house...pretty sure Katherine now knows that Delilah's baby is his? I also didn't realize until the end of the show that the scenes in the elevator with the four guys was the first time they met. I'm so confused right now but not confused enough to stop watching.

Ep 12 continued to confuse as more layers were stripped away regarding what John was doing, providing a real acting showcase for Ron Livingston. Yes, the reasons why John was doing what he was doing were revealed, and frankly, I found the reveal kind of stupid, though I still don't think we have the whole story. There were no further clues regarding who Barbara Morgan is, who I'm assuming is the character being played by Constance Zimmer. I loved watching the conflict and pain developing in John's mind as he plans began to fall part, not to mention the reveal that he knew about Deliah and Eddie. I also loved that John called Eddie right before he jumped and Eddie sent the call to voice mail. Gina's sexual harassment story seemed a little convenient with the current goings-on in Hollywood and the scenes of Maggie and her dad unpacking seemed pointless. Loved the story of Gary and his dog, though...only Gary would name a dog Collin.

OK, it took 13 episodes, but I think I understand now why John jumped off that building, though I'm not sure I agree with his reasoning. I've always considered suicide an act of cowardice and that's exactly what John's suicide was...he should have been honest with Delilah, they might have been able to figure out a way to come to the same conclusion she did without John losing is life. Eddie and Katherine are such a mess right now and neither have an idea where they are. Katherine throwing that guy out when she found out he made partner was childish though the way he told her may not have been right either. Bronson Pinchot's reboot of Serge from Beverly Hills Cop was fun though. And why would Delilah think that the kids would not want to hear the last thing their father wrote to them?

There was some interesting stuff that went on in ep 14. Gary seems to be trying to take over the group as the New John...he seems to be obsessed with helping and protecting everyone and making sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing. The predictability of what Gina's Uncle Neil did to her was perfectly offset by the fact that she was unable to confront him about what happened. I initially thought the addition of Andrew (James Tupper) as a possible romantic interest for Delilah was a tad premature but it might keep she and Eddie from giving away that they're having this baby together. Love Drea de Matteo and is what I think is coming is actually coming? Was John actually married to Barbara Morgan?

I have to admit that I'm on pins and needles waiting for Delilah to find out that John had an entire other family. Barbara running into John's daughter while jogging was a little convenient and her running out when she saw Gary was a bad move that's going to come back to haunt her. So glad Sophie caught that photograph of her at John's apartment. I'm glad that Rome got some positive affirmation from a stranger because I don't think I'll ever understand why this guy is so unhappy. Katherine's handling of her son's snotty attitude during the field trip was perfect though his night terror later on was a little convenient. It doesn't change the fact that he was acting like a brat during that field trip. Melora Hardin was wonderful as Maggie's mother and her scenes with James Roday's Gary were gold. Glad Catherine and Eddie signed the divorce papers it looked like they were reconsidering for a minute. They're doing the right thing.

Ep 17 was a bit of a letdown...the resolution of the Barbara Morgan story was a total letdown. I think the storyline I saw coming would have been a lot more interesting though it looks like it's not over since Patrick saw the file. But I think Maggie said it best...Jon did not throw himself off that building for one reason, I'm pretty sure more will be revealed. Will miss Drea de Matteo though...damned fine actress who would love to see remain on the canvas somehow. All that stuff with Rome and Gina buying a new car was a waste of screentime. Loved Katherine putting Hunter in his place at work and I think Eddie made the right decision telling Katherine about Delilah's baby, even if it does mean the end of their marriage. It's better that she knows, though I think she might have suspected anyway and could learn to live with it.

There was some odd things gong on in the low-key second season premiere. I have to admit that I was surprised that Katherine didn't know about Delilah's baby until Eddie told her and I understand her needing space away from Eddie, but to walk out the door without a word to her son was wrong. And where did this sudden longing to be father start with Rome? The guy was suicidal last season and now he wants to be a daddy? Enjoyed when Maggie told off Delilah's doctor. And the news that John had a vasectomy seemed to come out of nowhere too, I wonder if Delilah even knows about it since John was a master keeper of secrets. I was impressed with Gary's discretion regarding it though, so unlike him. And can someone in hair and makeup please pull a comb through Delilah's hair? So tired of looking at that rat's nest.

Some odd stuff went on in ep 2...this whole Eddie and Katherine staying together for Theo's sake is just beyond weird...staying together for the sake of the children never work. On the other hand, Theo is television's most clueless child...I don't buy the fact that this kid has no sense of the tension between his parents. I'm finding I'm caring less and less about Maggie with each episode and that whole thing of the psychic trying to read Delilah and going right through her to Maggie was a little hard to swallow. There is a certain chemistry between Delilah and Andrew, but if anything happens between them, her relationship with Gina will be destroyed. I'm glad John's illegitimate kid was straight with Rome about who he is because that story needs a little forward motion.

Just wrapped ep 3 and I am loving what's going on between Gina, Andrew and Delilah...the lines Andrew is crossing with both women are making for some emotionally charged drama that could destroy Gina and Delilah's relationship. This relationship between Rome and John's illegitimate son is a little pat and convenient but I hope it doesn't take all season for it to come out exactly who this guy is. I really felt Daniel's pain when he was waiting to audition and the boy he was crushing on came out of the room...the pain of loving someone who doesn't love you back is excruciating. I liked that they made up for it by having Daniel get the part of Danny in Grease. Also loved when Gary was helping Daniel get ready for the audition. This thing with Maggie and her mother is kind of aggravating...no one is making the right moves here and they both need to the cut the other one some slack. We've been given the hint that we might be meeting Gary's mother soon...I hope they cast just the right actress because I have the feeling that Gary's mother is kind of loopy and fun like he is and would like to see the right actress in the role...Kirstie Alley perhaps. Loved everything that happened with Katherine and Eddie too...loved when she told him that she was going to be sending him some mixed signals, you don't see a lot of TV characters actually admitting to that, very refreshing.

Ep 4 was a pretty compelling hour of television drama. The reveal of who Jason Ritter's Eric really is was a pleasant and smart surprise, a lot more interesting than the way they had us thinking he was Maggie's mother's boy toy. I understand Patricia's intention but I don't think she went about it the right way and I understand Maggie's pain. Outstanding work by Grace Park as Katherine continues to struggle with this new phase of her life...loved the speech at the restaurant when she told everyone "just stop." Glad Delilah finally said something to Gina because she was beginning to work my last nerve, as is Rome, whose alleged comic relief has just become annoying. Rome also gets my vote for most whipped husband on network TV right now, you could serve this guy on pie.

The continuing drama of Eddie and Katherine was the best part of ep 5. I wasn't really sure how Eddie thought moving to a different house in the same town was going to solve their problems, but I'm finding myself really routing for these two and wanting them to work it out. Maggie the singing psychiatrist? I am so over Maggie and all her self-absorbed drama, in particular her unnatural obsession with her dead brother, Chad...it reminds me of Kate's obsession with Jack on This is Us...it's squirm worthy on the edge of creepy. I'm also over Gina, network television's most self-absorbed character right now. All that drama about a TV commercial? Seriously? Loved Gary's meeting with the remission group though.

I thought the Gary's lost dog motif was a little corny at first, but it was an inventive way to re-establish certain relationships for ep 6. I especially loved the way the drama brought Eddie and Gary closer. Katherine's bonding with baby Charley was amazing, especially when she told that woman in the park the real story behind Charley. Despite Jason Ritter's strong work in the role, I hope Eric is being phased out because he's really starting to mess up Gary and Maggie, a couple who don't need any outside assistance in being messed up. John's alleged son PJ is a big weenie who I'm so over and I'm not feeling Delilah and Andrew as a couple...there's no chemistry there.

I thought Gary's lost dog was a silly storyline in last week's episode, but it kicked off a pretty compelling story that allowed James Roday to do some of his finest work in ep 7 as he learned that Collin is really a dog named Wesley who belongs to an elderly widow named Enid, beautifully played by Jenny O'Hara. I loved when Gary and Collin were in the park and Collin walked away and Gary called him Wesley and I liked how Maggie resolved the whole thing. I understand both sides of the Delilah/Eddie/Katherine story and I'm not sure if Eddie and Katherine aren't right about this. Delilah seems to be more about protecting her own image of John in the eyes of her kids, an image that was already blown when the man threw himself off the top of a skyscraper. And all the buildup regarding PJ's paternity test was so stupid because they never would have introduced the character if he wasn't John's son. Oh, and Katherine and Eddie's son, Theo, gets my vote for most annoying child television character is like 10 years old but acts half that age and I can'rt believe all the crap that Eddie and Katherine tell him and he just believes anything they say.

Some heavy going in in ep 8...the sudden death of Rome's mother seemed a bit cruel, but it set up yet another effective canvas for what's going on with these characters. LOVED Jay Pharoah8 as Rome's little brother and after watching Rome's dad deal (or not) with his wife's passing did give me a little more insight into the hot mess that Rome is. Delilah is starting to piss me off...she says she wants Eddie to be a part of Charley's life but won't take John's name off the birth certificate? I'm glad that Eddie's going to fight and I like that he and Katherine are a united front on this. And PJ is an idiot...if he's not going to tell Sophie the truth, then he just needs to stay the hell away from her...his approaching her at the wake was just stupid. But now that he knows the truth, I am curious as to what PJ's next move is going to be.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Some heavy going in in ep 8...the sudden death of Rome's mother seemed a bit cruel, but it set up yet another effective canvas for what's going on with these characters. LOVED Jay Pharoah8 as Rome's little brother and after watching Rome's dad deal (or not) with his wife's passing did give me a little more insight into the hot mess that Rome is. Delilah is starting to piss me off...she says she wants Eddie to be a part of Charley's life but won't take John's name off the birth certificate? I'm glad that Eddie's going to fight and I like that he and Katherine are a united front on this. And PJ is an idiot...if he's not going to tell Sophie the truth, then he just needs to stay the hell away from her...his approaching her at the wake was just stupid. But now that he knows the truth, I am curious as to what PJ's next move is going to be.

I don't know if you saw the preview for this episode after last week's episode, but they mentioned that someone was going to die. There was a short scene of a funeral, with a voiceover saying something like "I can't believe that I'm going to another funeral.". I feel bad for Rome, but I was just glad that it wasn't one of the series regulars.

I'm also glad to see that Eddie and Katherine are going to fight for his paternal rights. Delilah is just being selfish, and she doesn't even care that she's hurting Eddie. It should be interesting to see how she feels now that she knows the truth about PJ's father. It kind of puts her in Katherine's position, except that John's not around anymore to want to take responsibility for his kid.

I think PJ just wanted to be friends with Sophie. Hopefully he'll tell her the truth now, and she'll understand why he pulled away from her when she tried to kiss him. I just wish that Rome had told him about the DNA results before he found out on his own. I hope it doesn't ruin his relationship with Rome.

More squirm-worthy events in ep 9. Rooftop suicide attempts always make me a little queasy in the stomach and the one with PJ and Rome was n exception. Loved Gary's speech in the restaurant as he continues to be John's conduit to the rest of the group. Sophie's reaction to learning the truth about her mom and Eddie was explosive, if a little over the top. Her anger should be at her parents, not at Eddie, John for what he did and Delilah for keeping it from them as long as she did. The breakup of Gary and Maggie was ugly and heartbreaking. This show is really finding some footing, too bad no one's watching it.

There was a whole lot of silly behavior going on in ep 10. Sophie's ridiculous cold shouldering of her mother and Delilah just taking it was just silly. Allowing Sophie to move in with Rome and Gina was silly...Delilah needs to lay down the law with Sophie and not only remind Sophie who the parent is, but maybe shed some light on who John was really was. Speaking of Rome, his whining about his being depressed and getting in the way of a possible adoption was also silly. Gary and Maggie trying to convince everyone that they are over each other was also silly. The writers apparently still haven't decided how old Theo is supposed to be. In one scene, he is written like he's 37 years old and the next he's written like he's 3. And a final continuity quibble regarding Daniel's production of Grease: Supposedly the school was presenting the stage version of Grease, which was on a stage. In the stage version of Grease, "We Go Together" is sung at the end of the first act and "Hopelessly Devoted to You" isn't in the stage version AT ALL. That song was written specifically for the 1978 movie. Oh, and Maggie's new wig is terrible.

Just wrapped ep 11...even though I understand where Rome is coming from, he's wrong for putting all the blame on Gary for him being in the back of a police car. So Sophie runs away from home and is allowed to disrupt Rome and Gina's lives and her only punishment is that she's allowed to invite girlfriends over to get drunk? Rome and Gina should have sent the girl back to that Delilah the minute they found out Sophie was drinking. And do I have it right? Eric doesn't really have Maggie's brother heart? What kind of skeeze is this guy?

When they first started talking about Gary's troubled relationship with his mother, I posted that I hoped they would cast an A-list actress to play this part. Ep 12 didn't disappoint with Oscar winner Marcia Gay Harden stepping into the coveted role. Her scenes with James Roday were definitely the highlight of the show. Their acting overcame some rather melodramatic writing. Eric is a scumbag I really don't understand why he felt the need to lie about the recipient of Chad's heart. I hope we're done with him. Also glad Rome got his movie back but I hope actually making it won't turn him into a basket case.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
When they first started talking about Gary's troubled relationship with his mother, I posted that I hoped they would cast an A-list actress to play this part. Ep 13 didn't disappoint with Oscar winner Marcia Gay Harden stepping into the coveted role. Her scenes with James Roday were definitely the highlight of the show. Their acting overcame some rather melodramatic writing. Eric is a scumbag I really don't understand why he felt the need to lie about the recipient of Chad's heart. I hope we're done with him. Also glad Rome got his movie back but I hope actually making it won't turn him into a basket case.

I loved the scenes with Gary and his mother, and that he didn't just accept her excuses for leaving him. That was just ridiculous for her to think that he didn't need his mom just because he was laughing with his friends.

I don't like Eric either, but (assuming he's telling the truth), I understand why he lied. He didn't want to hurt Chad's mother by telling her that the person who got her son's heart died in an accident a few years later. It would have made her feel like Chad's death didn't help another person. But that doesn't excuse what he did. He shouldn't have lied to her. He should have either told her the truth, or told her nothing.

And I'm glad to see that Sophie and her mother are starting to get along again.