The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

Liked both but voted for neither. I'm pretty sure I had Man With the Movie Camera on my documentary list.

1. Caligari
2. Sunrise
3. The General
4. The Gold Rush
5. Metropolis
6. Nosferatu
7. Sherlock
8. The Kid
9. Passion of Joan of Ark
10. Battleship Potemkin

NOSTROMO ADMISSION TICKET
3. The Phantom Of The Opera (1925)
2. He Who Gets Slapped (1924)
1. The Unknown (1927)

Mysterious story featuring Nanon Zanzi, the daughter of a gypsy circus owner, and a knifethrower (with his feet) Alonzo The Armless. A Tod Browning, Joan Crawford, and Lon Chaney collaboration.

"Decidedly Gruesome..."
-Moving Picture World

Also Viewed:
The Circus (1928)
Steamboat Bill, Jr (1928)
A Trip To The Moon (1902)
Faust: Eine Deutsche Volkssage (1926)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChaneyCrawfordBrowning.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	58076  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Kewl, I can always throw it away if necessary

My prediction:

10. Toy Story
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
8. Goodfellas
7. The Shining
6. The Godfather
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. 12 Angry Men
3. Casablanca
2. The Wizard Of Oz
1. The Titfield Thunderbolt
OMG this was going to be MY guess, except I had Wizard of Oz at #1 and Titfield at #2
That is just CRAZY

Did not see either of these.

MY LIST: Seen 18 out of 40 (45%)
5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
7) The Phantom of the Opera (#19)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
12) Pandora's Box (#17)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
15) The Lodger (#20)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
18) HE Who Gets Slapped (#23)
19) Faust (#14)
22) Underworld (#47)
24) The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

The Kid is a very enjoyable watch that highlights Chaplin's understanding of both humour and emotion, sadly I just couldn't find room for it on my list though.

Seen: 41/41
My list:
3. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924) [#15]
7. Intolerance - Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (D.W. Griffith, 1916) [#21]
10. Chelovek s kino-apparatum [Man With A Movie Camera] (Dziga Vertov, 1929) [#12]
15. Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage [Faust] (F.W. Murnau, 1926) [#14]
17. Körkarlen [The Phantom Carriage] (Victor Sjöström, 1921) [#18]
18. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923) [#11]
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My #7, The Kid is a very simple film, but it's also very honest and highly cinematic. Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester from "The Addams Family" TV show) was one of the most talented and adorable child stars ever. (He was six years old when he made this film.) The film is jam-packed with terrific comedy and at the end, Chaplin provides one of his greatest fantasy scenes which has to be seen to be believed, but this chase scene with Chaplin racing over rooftops and battling the state who "need" to take away "his kid" always resonates with me as the centerpiece of this sweet, enjoyable film.

Seen 41/41
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
5. Safety Last!
6. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
7. The Kid
9. Greed
10. 7th Heaven
11. Man With a Movie Camera
15. The Last Command
16. Wings
19. The Circus
25. The Wind

Hope @Yoda is ok with now having a file called "KidPics" on his server

Love The Kid.
Wrote this in Pre-30s HoF:

The Kid

This film holds up pretty darn well. Chaplin is in his most iconic role, the Tramp, and boy does he play that role well. The kid is absolutely adorable and a really good actor too. The plot of the story was overall actually pretty interesting, and I found it wasn't one of those movies that one watches simply for historical reasons. It holds by itself as a film today too. So hats off to Chaplin again for a great early film. This is probably my second favorite Chaplin after Modern Times, and I think it's one of his more underrated films.

The Kid was my #10.

Seen: 16/41

My List:
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
7. Un Chien Andalou (#13)
8. It (#27)
10. The Kid (#10)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
15. Faust (#15)
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)

The Kid held my #1 spot.

The Kid

Title Card: A picture with a smile - and perhaps, a tear.

Which, kinda says it all.
A smile; very much so. And perhaps, a tear; surprisingly, not this time. Though it has been so very long because I do remember how much I used to bawl as a youngster, and for the longest time, I couldn't watch this because it was too heartbreaking for me. Even in my twenties, Little Baby Uncle Fester would affect me every time I saw them trying to haul him away and The Tramp valiantly coming to his aid. Literally, kicking @ss and taking names.

Though a little curious to the why of not shedding a heartwarming tear on this last viewing, nonetheless, I was still enamored to The Kid's antics.
During the window breaking scenes when he pulls back to throw a rock and bumps a cop, it was like watching a young Tramp. Perhaps it was merely Chaplin's directing, but Jackie Coogan did such a great job of a child acting as his father while still being himself.

Like many Chaplin films, this does come from Charlie's heart, expressing the harshness of the orphanages and its offices are drawn from his childhood when his mother was in an asylum.
There are several scenes where we see within Charlie's heart and tormented memories, looking to right the past wrongs and, in the end, to win, instead of losing to such establishments.

And he does.
And we love him for it.

MY LIST: Seen 19 out of 41 (46.34%)
1) The Kid (#10)

5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
7) The Phantom of the Opera (#19)
8) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#41)
12) Pandora's Box (#17)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
15) The Lodger (#20)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
18) HE Who Gets Slapped (#23)
19) Faust (#14)
22) Underworld (#47)
24) The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

I was very impressed with The Kid and it made #12 on my voting list.

The Kid (1921)
Director: Charles Chaplin
Writer: Charles Chaplin
Cast: Charles Chaplin, Edna Purviance, Jackie Coogan

This might be my favorite Chaplin film so far. Two aspects of Chaplin the director & writer stands out:

1) He takes a bold social stand by clearly stating that the unwed mother is not sinful. We see her leaving the building where she just had the baby, and two rather stern looking people are shaking their heads in disapproval. For 1921 that was bold of Chaplin to champion the unwed mother in his film.

2) Chaplin allows the child actor to shine in the film, giving the kid many close ups. Another actor/director might have been unwilling to let the kid have any of the limelight, but Chaplin seems to not have an ego about his own stardom and so we get equal time with little Jackie Coogan.

The more I know of Charlie Chaplin, the more I think he was a pretty cool dude and way ahead of his time. I think that as most of his films that I've seen impart a sense of social responsibility to their stories.

The movie itself moves at a good pace, there's always something going on and as soon as one problem is resolved the next happens. Through out it all, Chaplin plies our emotions and makes us care about the plight of the Tramp and the Kid.

Revised prediction for top 9:
9. Sherlock, Jr.
8. The Gold Rush
7. Sunrise
6. The Passion of Joan of Arc
5. The General
4. Battleship Potemkin
3. Nosferatu
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
1. Metropolis

The Odessa Steps sequence makes Battleship Potemkin worthy of a place on this list for its innovation alone but whilst it was certainly in contention for a place on my ballot ultimately it was another of Eisenstein's works that captured a vote from me.

Seen: 42/42
My list:
3. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924) [#15]
7. Intolerance - Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (D.W. Griffith, 1916) [#21]
10. Chelovek s kino-apparatum [Man With A Movie Camera] (Dziga Vertov, 1929) [#12]
15. Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage [Faust] (F.W. Murnau, 1926) [#14]
17. Körkarlen [The Phantom Carriage] (Victor Sjöström, 1921) [#18]
18. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923) [#11]
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Battleship Potemkin is my #24.
Battleship Potemkin (Sergei M. Eisenstein, 1925)
+ ; Classic Rating:

I could probably raise my rating for this, if only for the bravura Odessa Steps sequence. This is my first viewing of the silent classic Potemkin since its picture and music have been restored, and it's quite a sight to behold. Eisenstein, who was 27 at the time, jumps right into the story of the 1905 Russian Revolution, focusing on a battleship where the sailors feel they are being treated as animals and lodge a protest which doesn't sit well with the officers. Eventually they take over the ship and pilot it to Odessa where the poor people react to it as a sign of impending independence and a change in Russia. However, the Old Guard is still in charge and a massacre eventually ensues. Although it doesn't really focus on characters, Potemkin certainly hits you like a punch in the face as editing, music and photography all work together to elicit powerful emotions in the viewer. It culminates in what is perhaps film's single most famous scene which was staged on the actual Odessa Steps 20 years after the massacre occurred. Here is that sequence intact, although the battleship's striking red flag is only seen in white here.

Seen 42/42
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
5. Safety Last!
6. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
7. The Kid
9. Greed
10. 7th Heaven
11. Man With a Movie Camera
15. The Last Command
16. Wings
19. The Circus
24. Battleship Potemkin
25. The Wind

I have been busy with assignments in theories of educational sociology and research methods in education, so i have not kept up with the list, but several of my movies showed up and ill try to list them.

The Phantom Carriage (1921) was my no. 11 and i rate it

Pandora's Box (1929) barely missed my list and i rate it

A Trip to the Moon (1902) was my no. 15 and i rate it

Greed (1924) was my no. 10 and i rate it

Faust (1926) did not make my list, because i had seen it too long ago. I rate it

Un Chien Andalou (1929) is probably my favorite short film and it was my no. 5 and i rate it

The Man With a Movie Camera (1929) was my no. 1 and is one of my favorite films of alltime. I rate it

Safety Last! (1923) would have made my list if I had seen it in time. I rate it
+
The Kid (1921) barely missed my list and i quite like it. I rate it

Battleship Potemkin (1925) was my no. 9 and i have screened it in a local arthouse theatre here in Copenhagen with new music by local artists.

Seen 29/42

Battleship Potemkin was a tough omission because I think it's one of the best 25 I've seen. I just don't have a passion for it or a desire to see it again so I left it off.

Battleship Potemkin was my #1, and even though #9 is a great placement, I'm almost a little disappointed to see it not make the top five.

From Pre-30s II:

Battleship Potemkin

Damn, it must have been hard for those Soviet directors during the Stalin era. Of course they had to have these films about "the people as one" and the "Communists unite" and bla bla bla. So it's all the more remarkable how unique and brilliant Battleship Potemkin is. Who the hell cares about the "message" when you have a film as unique, important, and frankly entertaining as this. I listened to a version with a re-created soundtrack that sounded very faithful to the original, and I think that my have helped a lot too. This was my first time watching Battleship Potemkin ever, including the Odessa Steps scene, so there were no "bad memories from film school" moments. It was a shocking and unique experience. I don't give a damn that it's propaganda as long as a film can connect to me like Battleship Potemkin does.

Seen: 17/42

My List:
1. Battleship Potemkin (#9)
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
7. Un Chien Andalou (#13)
8. It (#27)
10. The Kid (#10)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
15. Faust (#15)
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)