John Cassavetes - Hollywood SUCKS!

Tools    

On the negative side though it means that challenging cinema is rarely pushed into the mainstream.
This pretty much sums up all of my bellyaching. The mainstream no longer seems to have decent cinema, just like the radio no longer takes chances on new and original artists. I remember when Bagdad Cafe played alongside Shakedown and Action Jackson. Or when Manhunter was on a double bill with Down and Out in Beverly Hills. These aren't all great movies, and they are quick references to make a point, but at that time a semi or full blown art film could play alongside a mainstream picture no problem at all.

Coen Bros movies still hit the mainstream, as well as a handful of other director's pictures do, but they're bankable. No more Alan Rudolphs or John Sayles at the multiplex.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
No more Alan Rudolphs or John Sayles at the multiplex.
Matewan and Remember My Name are pretty good movies. And they are almost unknown.

The only director I can think of starting in the 80s that I like is Aki Kaurismaki, but after Matti Pellonnpaa died at 45, his movies weren't as good.

This pretty much sums up all of my bellyaching. The mainstream no longer seems to have decent cinema, just like the radio no longer takes chances on new and original artists. I remember when Bagdad Cafe played alongside Shakedown and Action Jackson. Or when Manhunter was on a double bill with Down and Out in Beverly Hills. These aren't all great movies, and they are quick references to make a point, but at that time a semi or full blown art film could play alongside a mainstream picture no problem at all.

Coen Bros movies still hit the mainstream, as well as a handful of other director's pictures do, but they're bankable. No more Alan Rudolphs or John Sayles at the multiplex.
You have a handful of names such as Paul Thomas Anderson or more recently Yorgos Lanthimos who get some mainstream attention but generally theirs a glass ceiling in terms of just how successful challenging cinema can be.

Again I think the real shift has been that this kind of cinema has been pushed out by rather bland "adult" drama that's very rarely challenging to its audience. Cinema that rarely has much flair to it and tends to push very safe political messages that are unlikely to challenge the audience. I remember for example the black lash against Blue if the Warmest Colour which IMHO wasn't only about the sex in it but due to the media picking up on its focus on class issues they weren't comfortable with.

I had the answer when I finished reading your article!

The man had true passion for his work!
I really enjoyed The killing of a Chinese Bookie