The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

* this post may contain slight exaggeration

Nice to see A Trip To The Moon on the list even if it didn't make my own ballot, the best known of Méliès works is a wild and wacky adventure that's quite the fun watch. Greed did make the heady heights of #3 on my ballot though, it may not have been let be the thirty-seven week long epic that von Stroheim strived for but it's still a potent and quite marvellous spectacle (as well as a reminder that Jeremy Clarkson must surely have acting stock in his genes).

Seen: 36/36
My list:
3. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924) [#15]
7. Intolerance - Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (D.W. Griffith, 1916) [#21]
17. Körkarlen [The Phantom Carriage] (Victor Sjöström, 1921) [#18]
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

A Trip to the Moon is a film I couldn’t get around not including on my list. It may be the most well known of its style or whatever, but there’s a reason for that. It is very impressive, imaginative and fun. Very fascinating work from more than 100 years ago... I had it at #12

A Trip to the Moon was my #20. Not hugely "enjoyable" but a visionary piece of art totally deserving of being on this list.

Seen: Seen: 13/36

My List:
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
8. It (#27)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)

So these are in for sure:
Metropolis
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Battleship Potemkin
Nosferatu
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The General
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
The Gold Rush
Man With a Movie Camera

Two of these won't make it but not sure which ones:
Un Chien Andalou
The Kid
Sherlock, Jr.
Faust
Napolean
Safety Last

I guess Faust and Un Chien Andalou, but I'd be really disappointed if Un Chien Andalou didn't make it... then again, I should probably stop guessing this stuff because I just ate my words about A Trip to the Moon.

I liked A Trip to the Moon but short films like that never have the same impact on me that full length films do.

Greed was my most anticipated movie to watch for this countdown and it did not disappoint. My #2.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Greed at #9 but it could have been higher. The full nine-hour version is long--lost but could have been one of America's first "mini-series". A Trip to the Moon is watchable but not much more.

Seen 36/36
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
6. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
9. Greed
10. 7th Heaven
15. The Last Command
16. Wings
19. The Circus
25. The Wind

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Since I haven't ever, watched the 15 min short, Le Voyage Dans La Lune and while I did enjoy it, it probably wouldn't have made my list. Haven't heard of Greed.

MY LIST: Seen 17 out of 36 (47.22%)
5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
7) The Phantom of the Opera (#19)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
12) Pandora's Box (#17)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
15) The Lodger (#20)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
18) HE Who Gets Slapped (#23)
22) Underworld (#47)
24) The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

I mainly went for feature length films on my list, but I did have at #17 A Trip to the Moon (1902)
I watched Greed and it had some good moments but didn't do it for me.

A Trip to the Moon is a classic, I love Melies' short films where he just screws around with stop motion.

1. (Will Make it)
2. (Will Make it)
3. (Will Make it)
4. (Will Make it)
5. Prince Achmed
6. (Will Make it)
7. (Will Make it)
8. (Might Make it)
9. (Will Make it)
10. (Might Make it)
11. (Nope)
12. (Nope)
13. (Nope)
14. (Nope)
15. The Great Train Robbery
16. A Trip to the Moon
17. (Might make it)
18. (Nope)
19. (Will Make it)
20. (Nope)
21. (Nope)
22. (Might make it)
23. (Nope)

Faust is a lovely rendition of the classic tale with yet another marvellous performance by Emil Jannings and I deem it worthy enough to place #15 on my ballot. Though I can respect it cinematically I'm not a fan of Un Chien Andalou myself and as such it was never in contention for a spot on said ballot.

Seen: 38/38
My list:
3. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924) [#15]
7. Intolerance - Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (D.W. Griffith, 1916) [#21]
15. Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage [Faust] (F.W. Murnau, 1926) [#14]
17. Körkarlen [The Phantom Carriage] (Victor Sjöström, 1921) [#18]
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I wasn't happy to leave Faust off my list but I did. Un Chien Andalou is influential but since I love Entr'acte so much, it couldn't possibly make my list.
Faust (F.W. Murnau, 1926)
; Classic Rating:

Murnau's final German film before he moved on to Hollywood is a great blend of spectacle and special effects, especially in the first half. It's a classic story of Good vs. Evil, not all that unlike the Book of Job, where Mephisto [the Devil] (Emil Jannings) bets God that he can turn God-fearing, good man Faust (Gösta Ekman) into an unrepentant sinner if given a free hand. Faust wants youth and is especially attracted to a beautiful innocent (Camilla Horn). Eventually, her brother (William Dieterle) does battle for her honor with Faust in a scene reminiscent of Shakespeare's far-later Romeo and Juliet. The opening combines every imaginable use of sets, costumes, F/X, trippy editing and storytelling skill which Fritz Lang would later try to improve upon in the next year's Metropolis. The second half of the film which tells how Faust falls a bit short in his purity is entertaining but not as mesmerizing as the earlier scenes. However, it's very interesting to see Dieterle acting in this film before he moved to the U.S. to become a significant director and make his own Americanized version of this tale, the wonderful The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941).

Seen both, and both made my list.

Said this of Faust in Pre-30s HoF:
Faust

Not bad at all. I loved the technical aspects, like the really good special effects and wonderful dark and serene images. A lot of this films is just poetical, like the visuals are writing a poem. The plot, much like Metropolis, seems to not be the most important part, and that’s okay. So an overall thumbs up for Faust.

Faust was my #15 and Un Chien Andalou was my #7
Seen: 15/38

My List:
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
7. Un Chien Andalou (#13)
8. It (#27)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
15. Faust (#15)
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)

Considering I've been wrong three days in a row now, why not predict again?
Metropolis
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Battleship Potemkin
Nosferatu
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The General
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
The Gold Rush
Man With a Movie Camera
The Kid
Sherlock, Jr.
Napolean

Which means Safety Last I don't think will make it... either that or Napolean.