The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

Amazing how they managed to film IT decades before Stephen King wrote his book
And even more amazing how you are only now auditioning for the role of the clown in it 92 years after it was released

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Unknown is very bizarre and actually reminded me of Santa Sangre. I'm not sure that I actually like it, but it's a trip and should be watched. Browning and Chaney certainly shared a twisted sensibility. (They made 10 silent films together.) The fun and funny It made Clara Bow "The It Girl". Neither made my list.

Seen 24/24
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
10. 7th Heaven
15. The Last Command
19. The Circus
25. The Wind

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Yes everyone, this is Joan Crawford..

Both on my list this time! Gotta say I'm kind of surprised to see The Unknown on here, wasn't expecting it to do so well.

The Unknown was my #25, and it was one of those bottom films that just barely snuck on to my list. Here's what I said:

The Unknown

Although it has an interesting plot, The Unknown failed to grab me. I didn't really like any of the characters, and the plot is already fading on me even though I watched it only a day or two ago. What I recall was that there was a very touchy man who would constantly make the woman nervous, and she goes to an armless man (who's not really armless) for protection... but the really sexually aggressive man gets the girl in the end and the man who has his arms cut off to marry her ends up trampled by a horse... both were kind of jerks. The theme/moral really stumped me, I guess it's..."Be really touchy with women and they'll eventually succumb and fall in love with you"...? So, kind of confusing but not actually that bad technically wise.

I loved It, Clara Bow was so fantastic in it. It was my #8, and this is what I wrote in the HoF:

It

Clara Bow really is one of the greatest silent actresses in my opinion. In "It" she is literally glowing in her star role. It's just like Louise Brooks, she is a strikingly modern and amazing woman in a dated world... and that totally made the movie. I loved it! It was probably because of Clara Bow, but every minute of it was entertaining. The characters were fun, the story line engaging, and everything just had a snappy, quirky, lighthearted, humor. This is no epic masterpiece, like Battleship Potemkin, but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't take itself so seriously, and that's a good thing.

I'm also happy to say it's much better than the 2017 clown horror flick...

Seen: 9/24

My List:
8. It (#27)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)

3. Diary of a Lost Girl (#31)
4. The Birth of a Nation (#38)
5. The Crowd (#29)
7. The Unknown (#28)
10. Way Down East (#43)
15. It (#27)
17. Broken Blossoms (#34)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
25. 3 Bad Men (#30)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Had It at #13 and The Unknown didn't make the list even though I really enjoyed it due to the fact that I already had a number of Lon Chaney films on my List already and was trying to stay diverse in regards to starring roles.

It

Adela Van Norman: Miss Van Cortland seems to be rather lacking in reserve, doesn't she?
Cyrus Waltham Jr.: Personally, I think she has plenty - in reserve!

I will definitely agree with past reviews regarding Clara Bow in this romantic comedy. One that could have been enjoyable, but nothing special, rises above it with her presence and portrayal of a strong-willed, confident woman that doesn't take any guff while playfully pursuing what she's after. The President of the monstrous department store she works at.

It is a credit to Bow who, no matter the devious nature of her pursuit, we are completely on board with her. Cheering her on to success.
I think the only moment I was hesitant was on the yacht has she played with Cyrus as he proposed. Then we see her weeping at her actions and she is instantly forgiven. Adding her rescue of Miss Van Norman when they are knocked off the ship, cements that forgiveness.
And I gotta say, I laughed when she belted her to keep her from drowning them both in her panic.
She is equally kittenish and tigeress and the nobility and inner strength shine through. An impressive feat.

Also, while her love interest is of an average sort, her foil and stepping stone, Monty, was a fun sight to watch squirm about. Who, in the end, also held a bit of a nobler side, which was nice to see.

Again, an average, enjoyable romantic comedy made special by Clara Bow.

The Unknown

Alonzo the Armless: No one will get her... no one but me!

While Freaks is Browning's masterpiece, (for many of us) The Unknown is very much a preliminary sketch work with a similar setting and story points regarding a love triangle.
I was hooked from the get-go til the very end.

Unlike other silents so far, the soundtrack to this was perfect and needed no substitution and added just the right mood and intensity to what occurs on film.

With other films, under heavy makeup, from The Phantom of the Opera to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, this very well may be the first time I've seen Lon Chaney's face in a film and all of those sublime emotions in other films, are stark and bold, here. Pretty amazing stuff.

Also, there was one scene with Joan Crawford, with her head slightly back and her eyes wide, did I actually recognize her. Otherwise, if I didn't see her name in the opening, there was no way I would have known.

Surprisingly, I don't have much to say, but, believe me, I fully enjoyed this film.

MY LIST: Seen 11 out of 24 (45.83%)
5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
22) Underworld (#47)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

The Unknown just missed my list, but it's well worth watching and deserves a place on the countdown.

I had It at #5, comedies never seem to get as much respect as dramas, so I'm glad to see It getting some love and respect.

It (1927)

Clara Bow, wow!...If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here today at MoFo.
It says alot about an actress from a century ago who had enough 'it' power to catch my attention...It was by random chance that I was shopping in a book store almost 20 years ago with my wife and I started wandering around the store when I seen a very provocative book cover, Sin in Soft Focus Pre-Code Hollywood.

I didn't know what 'soft focus' meant or what a 'pre-code' was but that cover caught my eye! As I thumbed through the book I found the name of the actress on the front cover, Clara Bow.

I didn't buy the book as it was way too pricey. But I did find a set of Clara Bow's films on DVD, on ebay, for cheap. They had to be boot leg as the quality was poor, but it was cool having access to so many of her films. There's some good ones too, but It is my favorite. That's the film that made Clara into a huge star. Unfortunately like a lot of silent screen stars she didn't do much in the sound era, but she did make a few talkies.

It
, what a fun film! I had a smile on my face through the entire movie. And unlike some silents that seem to drag and drag, the time flew by. Maybe that's because the film felt so modern. I really like silent films but they can be somewhat inaccessible as they seem so far removed from our time. But not It, both the film's pacing and Miss Bow's performance seemed much more like a modern movie.

I was impressed with how empowered Clara Bow's charterer was. She's a modern woman who stands up for herself, she's a fully formed character with a strong sense of who she is. That's refreshing as a lot of older movies treated women as arm-hangers who's only role was to look pretty. Yes Clara has It!

3 Bad Men was my number 7, one of Ford's many masterpieces for me.

I really want to see The Crowd because I have heard that it's absolutely brilliant and people who know my taste well have recommended it to me. I don't think I've actually heard of that last two before.

One can only imagine the hours of work that went into the making of The Adventures Of Prince Achmed and it really is quite beautiful to view at times, but with an icy cold heart like mine I sadly just couldn't quite place it on my list. Häxan on the other hand did take a spot and was my #19 ... admittedly I tried this years ago and couldn't make it past the first chapter as it felt like a dull school lesson and I feared it was all going to be in the same vein - boy was I wrong though, as I discovered whilst prepping for this countdown ... quite the fascinating watch as it turned out.

Seen: 26/26
My list:
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Adventures of Prince Achmed is the first feature-length animated film, utilizing the technique of silhouette animation with beautiful colors, wonderful animation and an awesome musical score.It seems to get better with each viewing, especially when seen on a large screen with loud sound. I had it at #6. Haxan almost made my list. Plenty of crazy stuff in there.

Seen 26/26
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
6. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
10. 7th Heaven
15. The Last Command
19. The Circus
25. The Wind

I’ve seen some of both these films and the latter I actually intended to watch for this countdown. But like the slacker I am I didn’t get around any films for the list except the ones I had already seen...

The Adventures of Prince Achmed looks really interesting and i would love to see it.

Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922) is a classic here in Scandinavia and one of my friends, from a local label called Posh Isolation, did a live noise soundtrack to it, during a film festival. It was my no. 6. I can hardly recommend it enough.

+

Seen 12/26

Achmed was my #14, I said in this in Animation HoF:

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Pre-30s movies aren't always the most accessible, they're not always the most relatable or entertaining. But they can tell us so much about the times then that I think these movies, especially The Adventures of Prince Achmed, are practically textbooks on both filma nd history. The Adventures of Prince Achmed is animated in a unique and brilliant way that I have not really seen since then. It is highly influential, one of the earliest great films from a female director, and is important in the film canon. That said, I'm not sure how much I really enjoyed this film. If it was made today... well, it couldn't be. I recently saw Toy Story 4 in theaters and right before came a bunch of absolute junk trailers for animated kids movies. Angry Birds 2, Trolls 2, Some Fox Movie. Certainly The Adventures of Prince Achmed is more enjoyable even than those movies, without needing to see them. So it somewhat disappointing to see animation turning from an obviously noble art that it once was in the 1920s and 30s to kids money-making machines. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of amazing animated movies today, but most of them completely miss the mark of high quality. The Adventures of Prince Achmed brought me back to a refreshing time when animation was just getting started and was a medium treated with utmost passion and love by its creators.

Enjoyablity factor... well, that's what my rating is for. For 1926, not bad at all.

Seen: 10/26

My List:
8. It (#27)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Achmed is inaccurately placed at #24 and I'll delve into that with the review I post from the Second Animation HoF.
Haven not heard of Haxan but I am quite intrigued by it.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Prince Achmed: Take me to Wak-Wak!

Well, that was pretty g0dd@mn impressive!!
I just finished watching this and I am RIGHT ON the deadline for watching a film to be added to a Pre-30s Countdown List. Which I PMd yesterday. And let me tell ya, if I was able to see this BEFORE compiling/ PMing said list; this Arabian Knights, visual delight would have shot up around ten positions from the "safe" position I placed it at.
I was originally expecting to see an important technical achievement and, therefore, for me, a lot of times, "important technical achievements" are just that and not necessarily entertaining. So, I presumed would entail so-so storytelling.

I WAS F@CKIN WRONG

Since already mentioned, let's delve a bit into the technical aspects. Using two well-stated snippets from IMDB.
The first, a quote from the primary review. The second, from "Trivia":
"completed in 1926, which makes it THE oldest surviving animated feature film. [Director] Lotte Reiniger (June 2, 1899 - June 19, 1981) was a German (and later a British) silhouette animator and film director. Through elaborating articulated paper silhouettes set to an original score by Wolfgang Zeller, Reiniger combines in "Prince Achmed..." several fairy tales from the Thousand and One Nights aka Arabian Nights. Reiniger was ahead of Walt Disney by a decade using her innovative camera which separates foreground from background to produce 3-D illusion. She also experimented with wax and sand to create magical special effects."
~by Galina_movie_fan
Lotte Reiniger cut figures out of black cardboard with scissors, and joined movable parts with thread in order to animate them. From 1923-26 about 250,000 frame-by-frame stills were made and 96,000 were used in the film. Her husband, Carl Koch, was responsible for the photography in all her films until his death in 1963.

And, now, my blathering;

While I was expecting some detailed cutouts done in some clever way with a simplistic background, I found myself more and more amazed at just how much of an utter f@ckin understatement that was!
The ingenuity was astounding. Every continuing scene held it's own extraordinary imagery.

I was mesmerized and entranced as the story played out.

And what a delightful and engaging fantasy storytelling it was.
From early on, when the Caliph demanded of the African Magician of how to get the flying horse that continued to fly higher and higher and farther away, to come back down, and if the Prince, who was riding it, was aware of it, only to have the Magician shrug offhandedly; (which made me grin and chuckle by the "performance") I was caught up in the telling of this visually impressive adventure.
We are given an action drenched Arabian Nights saga involving the devious endeavors of a dark Magician; such as nefarious intent for the Caliph's daughter, a funny fight of four seductresses over the Prince's attention, a kidnapped Demon Princess by the Prince and their romantic tale along with the demons that pursue,
WARNING: "A Witch" spoilers below
that becomes the Prince's ally in battling both the Magician and the demons.
Along with a short narrative of Aladdin as he joins in for the great, final battle of this entertaining epic.

This is THE Dark Horse, for me, of this HoF.
@ahwell, you have brought some wonderful nominations to these HoFs and this, to date, is very much an unexpected and a thoroughly enjoyable film. One I know for a fact I doubt I would have ever seen - if not for this site and my involvement in these HoFs and the various Countdowns, here.
F@ckin YAY
So, yeah, after seeing this I would have put it around #13 or #14, give or take. Still, a very solid location in this Countdown all the same.

MY LIST: Seen 12 out of 26 (46.15%)
5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
22) Underworld (#47)
24) The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)