Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Manoel de Oliveira ranked:

1. I'm Going Home (2001)
2. No, or the Vain Glory of Command (1990)
3. Aniki Bóbó (1942)
He was asked a lot of autographs as he walked the streets of Porto and Lisbon and he always asked: 'Have you ever watched any of my movies?', he knew that someone who did would probably ask him questions not signatures. The televisions mentioned a lot he was the oldest living director, and people just thought that was cool.

Love And Mercy (Bill Pohlad, 2014)
+
A film about both surferring and suffering

A Hidden Life (2019)

I know people have been pegging this as Mallick being back on form but it feels far too vague and wishy washy considering the subject matter. Yes the beautiful shots of the Austrian mountains are indeed beautiful, but that doesn't really matter when you only have the good Germans speaking in a language the viewer can understand. Really reminded me of that segment in Simularcra and Simulation when Baudrillard talks about how cinema erases history by, essentially, enforcing the Mandela effect. This is a very very beige look at Nazi Germany and we should aspire for much more critical insights into it. Yes there is a violent turn in the last 15 minutes, but even so this doesn't feel sufficiently critical. Really wanted to like this but alas, it disappoints.

Rating:

Really reminded me of that segment in Simularcra and Simulation when Baudrillard talks about how cinema erases history by, essentially, enforcing the Mandela effect.
Haven't heard that term before (reminds me of people assuming Alec Guinness had died because he 'dies' in Star Wars) but yeah, you've got to be on your guard. Given that one of my favourite films, Münchhausen, was commissioned by Joseph Goebbels, it's a state of experiencing films that I'm all too familiar with.

John Wick 3 (2019)

I thought the first was ok and I didn't care for part 2. I'm not sure why I watched this but it was ok. I like Keanu Reeves and he plays the part well. There were other familiar faces that were nice to see. Some cool scenes like the knife throwing and the horses, and Halle Berry's attack dogs were awesome.

Heisei tanuki gassen ponpoko [Pom Poko] (Isao Takahata, 1994)

Animated fantasy cooncerning the coonsequences of coonstruction without regard for coonservation

Re-watch of an excellent movie.

Excellent documentary. Very sad.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Jim Morrison: Wild Child
There are a couple of bs that any Doors fan would recognize. AmazonPrime documentaries are all bs - they take old interviews and documentaries, play some awful muzak that is supposed to sound like it, and then hire a few people to talk obvious baloney in between.

Very entertaining animated Spider Man movie. I would rate it as the best Spider Man movie since Spider Man 2 as it is easily superior to the super mediocre stuff made more recently featuring the character. However, it suffers from a set of problems: it is too self aware in that pseudo smart way and has too many politically correct features and storytelling cliches wrapped in it to be able to become a truly great film. Still very nice. 7/10

Joker 9/10. I had high hope from the movie and it delivered. Amazing performance.

It Happened in Broad Daylight (1958)

Chasing a child murderer gets little too personal for an aging detective. Somewhere between Psycho and M with even a little hint of gialli to come (at least the use of child's drawing brings Deep Red to mind and the premise of child murderer is quite common too). That's pretty big names to compare but fortunately It Happened in Broad Daylight is no slouch either.

The usage of psychology feels ahead of its time and the profiling of the child murderer is almost like in a modern film (it's a bit too accurate and from too little information but older films often seem to emphasize clarity and simplicity). Some things are bit too underlined or just introduces poorly (like the concept of bait by the fishing boy) but as a whole the story is rather good. Detective is played little flat considering his obsession about the case but otherwise acting is fine.

Not as great as some of the easy comparisons but definitely good old thriller.

Leto (2018)

Well this was pretty cool! I knew next to nothing about Viktor Tsoi or Kino and thankfully it didn't matter. This is an excellent biopic on one of the founding and most influential Soviet rock movements. But its also so beautifully shot and filmed in black in white. Aside from the Kino tunes etc which were great, there's also music from Lou Reed, Bowie and a great scene involving Psychokiller by he Talking Heads. Recommend watching this one if you can.

Great recommendation this. Charting the adventures of Russian rock bands Kino and Zoopark and the underground rock scene in Leningrad in the 80s. I really enjoyed the musical interlude type scenes, and though I thought they were a gimmick at first, I ended up loving them and wanting more. It's a beautifully shot film that is at times funny, beautiful, quirky, whimsical, romantic and poignant. The tone of the film wavers but doesn't distract. It uses the semi biographical nature as a backdrop to the changes in the USSR. New regimes replacing old ones etc.I went in blind to this movie, and came out stunned. Agree with your rating - maybe even higher. One of the best of the year. Exceptional.

Rafiki (Wanuri Kahiu, 2018)
+
A shame a friend didn't mention how poorly the peripheral aspects are written

Kaleidoscope (2016)

Plodding (intentional I think) drama about an ex Con attempting to live a normal life outwith the shadow of his overbearing and manipulative mother. Anne Reid is very believable as the Mother and Toby Jones does Toby Jones! Reminded me of a Pinter-esque "Play for Today"....not a bad thing at all.

It Happened in Broad Daylight (1958)

Chasing a child murderer gets little too personal for an aging detective. Somewhere between Psycho and M with even a little hint of gialli to come (at least the use of child's drawing brings Deep Red to mind and the premise of child murderer is quite common too). That's pretty big names to compare but fortunately It Happened in Broad Daylight is no slouch either.

The usage of psychology feels ahead of its time and the profiling of the child murderer is almost like in a modern film (it's a bit too accurate and from too little information but older films often seem to emphasize clarity and simplicity). Some things are bit too underlined or just introduces poorly (like the concept of bait by the fishing boy) but as a whole the story is rather good. Detective is played little flat considering his obsession about the case but otherwise acting is fine.

Not as great as some of the easy comparisons but definitely good old thriller.

Hmmmm, intrigued by this, think you get the hooks in pahaK. See if i can source it

Wishmaster (Robert Kurzman, 1997)
+
Fun enough in places but it's one djinn that could have done with a little more tonic imo

Welcome to the human race...
White Zombie -

wait a minute there wasn't any metal in this at all