The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Just got a notification from Steam that Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is on sale. I quickly checked out a couple of reviews, but both of the reviews I randomly read seemed more concerned with the game's lack of coverage on their particular social issue, so it was tough to get a read on whether or not the actual game was good or not. Another person was more concerned with wondering if, since the game was so massive, if people the labor force involved had been abused while making the game.

Anyone play this game? Any good?

Yeah, even when users have a legit gripe, it's really annoying how often a game is flooded with negative reviews for some social reason, or because people don't like their DRM, or whatever, making it so hard to find out what, ya' know, the game is like.

Just got a notification from Steam that Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is on sale. I quickly checked out a couple of reviews, but both of the reviews I randomly read seemed more concerned with the game's lack of coverage on their particular social issue, so it was tough to get a read on whether or not the actual game was good or not. Another person was more concerned with wondering if, since the game was so massive, if people the labor force involved had been abused while making the game.

Anyone play this game? Any good?
If you're into open world rpg's with a decent enough story I'd say this might be for you. Be warned, the game is very repetitive. Especially if you're like me and have to complete every mission available. The side quests are 97% fetch quests and even the main missions tend to feel tedious at times. Of course this is all just my personal opinion.

If you haven't played AC Origins I recommend that instead. If you have, just know that the two games are considerably different. Odyssey feels very bland in comparison. You can tell their priority was mostly making this a massive open world game. The story and gameplay are nowhere near as interesting or fleshed out as Origins.

The People's Republic of Clogher
If you're into open world rpg's with a decent enough story I'd say this might be for you. Be warned, the game is very repetitive. Especially if you're like me and have to complete every mission available. The side quests are 97% fetch quests and even the main missions tend to feel tedious at times. Of course this is all just my personal opinion.

If you haven't played AC Origins I recommend that instead. If you have, just know that the two games are considerably different. Odyssey feels very bland in comparison. You can tell their priority was mostly making this a massive open world game. The story and gameplay are nowhere near as interesting or fleshed out as Origins.
Agreed.

If you've played Origins you'll know what to expect only just not as polished and even more repetitive. I didn't get very far with it - 10 hours or so.

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks @MonnoM and @Tacitus

I have not played Origins. The only previous AC game I have thoroughly enjoyed was Black Flag. I completed damned near 100% of that game. I played some of the earlier titles, but never completed them. I haven't played Origins at all, though.

I am looking for the next Witcher 3, but I am thinking it doesn't yet exist. I am just about to finish up the main quest line in Witcher 3 (this is my second play through), after which I am heading into the DLC. I don't think i would play it a third time, so i need another awesome RPG in the same vein. Was hoping AC: Odyssey would fit the bill, and I hear it went more into the RPG style, borrowing a lot from Witcher 3.

Oh man. Overland. I backed it forever ago, and it went in Early Access awhile back. I tried it briefly, felt a little rough, little too hard maybe. Now it's out and I finally sat down to play it, and had quite an experience.

It's the apocalypse. There are creatures walking around destroying things. You start off by youself, and immediately meet someone else. That part is always the same, but you may meet other people later. Many will tell you to stay away from them. Some will ask you to take them with you. You can ignore them, bring them along, fight them for resources, whatever. People in your party can die, and you can abandon them to escape to the next level. It's a tough game, so those kinds of choices are a part of many successful runs. You progress primarily by car, which transports you between levels. In most levels you're trying to find gas and resources to keep going.

After a handful of deaths, I start another game, but instead of meeting a person, I meet a dog. Oh no. This is a huge strategic problem because there's no way I'm letting the dog (Udon) die, even if it ends up being necessary to proceed. Crap. I bring the dog with me and we advance through the game. Eventually we're told we can rescue someone. I decide to go for it. Turns out by "someone" it meant another dog. This one is named Sharkie. I now have two dogs I can't let die. They have to survive every level.

Somehow I make this work. Me and my two dogs thrive. We trade cars a couple of times and end up in a big van. We're approaching the end of the game and have lots of extra gas, so when we see one more potential stop at the end with a chance to save somebody, I feel obligated to try. Even if it ends up being another dog.

Well, it is another dog (Goose). And a person (Sheena). Oh God. That makes five of us. Three dogs, me, and Sheena. There's only four seats in the van. Somebody's getting left behind.

All my choices feel gut-wrenching. I've been playing for hours. This is far and away the furthest I've gotten, and I was so close to just getting out with my dogs. But now these two things have names and somebody's getting left behind. I have no idea who it should be. How do you decide something like that?

Except, wait. There aren't five characters. There's four...and me. Technically, the game gave me a name at the start, and even some biographical details (one of them is about how I worked at an animal shelter, I kid you not). But I've never thought of my starting character as someone else. I've thought of it as me the whole time. I should stay behind. It turns out this is the only character I have the moral authority to make this choice for. It turns out there's no choice to be made.

So, I do. I go down swinging to keep the road clear as the three dogs and Sheena escape.

I have not played Origins. The only previous AC game I have thoroughly enjoyed was Black Flag. I completed damned near 100% of that game. I played some of the earlier titles, but never completed them. I haven't played Origins at all, though.

I am looking for the next Witcher 3, but I am thinking it doesn't yet exist. I am just about to finish up the main quest line in Witcher 3 (this is my second play through), after which I am heading into the DLC. I don't think i would play it a third time, so i need another awesome RPG in the same vein. Was hoping AC: Odyssey would fit the bill, and I hear it went more into the RPG style, borrowing a lot from Witcher 3.
Well, Outer Worlds is out soon.

Otherwise, Yakuza 0. 60+ hours of fun and a great PC port. As it's a prequel, no previous Yakuza knowledge is required.

@Yoda - Same, with Overland - Bought it ages ago on Itchio and had forgotten about its existence until I got my Steam key.

I saw a lot of people saying that the difficulty was just too brutal so I didn't bother much with it, but have seen that it's been patched a number of times since release. It's in my backlog again.

Well, Outer Worlds is out soon.
I know, between that and Disco Elysium I dunno how I'm gonna find time, since both promise to be the kinds of games that take over my brain for weeks at a time.

@Yoda - Same, with Overland - Bought it ages ago on Itchio and had forgotten about its existence until I got my Steam key.

I saw a lot of people saying that the difficulty was just too brutal so I didn't bother much with it, but have seen that it's been patched a number of times since release. It's in my backlog again.
Yeah, I think it's probably gotten better on that front. It got less frustrating over time as I got used to the mechanics and rules of the world. It really doesn't tell you anything at all about the creatures you encounter, it's just trial-and-error, which is on-theme and good for the roleplaying aspect, but it means you're going to die a lot to learn. I just embraced the Restart Level button (I almost never care about achievements anyway) and it got a lot more enjoyable, since the difficult became less "beat the game" and more "beat the game without letting a SINGLE DOG DIE." With that posture, I found it was just hard enough to be challenging and satisfying without being too frustrating.

I'll probably try a "clean" run where I'm a little more ruthless and don't restart, at some point, and experiment more.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh man. Overland. I backed it forever ago, and it went in Early Access awhile back. I tried it briefly, felt a little rough, little too hard maybe. Now it's out and I finally sat down to play it, and had quite an experience.

It's the apocalypse. There are creatures walking around destroying things. You start off by youself, and immediately meet someone else. That part is always the same, but you may meet other people later. Many will tell you to stay away from them. Some will ask you to take them with you. You can ignore them, bring them along, fight them for resources, whatever. People in your party can die, and you can abandon them to escape to the next level. It's a tough game, so those kinds of choices are a part of many successful runs. You progress primarily by car, which transports you between levels. In most levels you're trying to find gas and resources to keep going.

After a handful of deaths, I start another game, but instead of meeting a person, I meet a dog. Oh no. This is a huge strategic problem because there's no way I'm letting the dog (Udon) die, even if it ends up being necessary to proceed. Crap. I bring the dog with me and we advance through the game. Eventually we're told we can rescue someone. I decide to go for it. Turns out by "someone" it meant another dog. This one is named Sharkie. I now have two dogs I can't let die. They have to survive every level.

Somehow I make this work. Me and my two dogs thrive. We trade cars a couple of times and end up in a big van. We're approaching the end of the game and have lots of extra gas, so when we see one more potential stop at the end with a chance to save somebody, I feel obligated to try. Even if it ends up being another dog.

Well, it is another dog (Goose). And a person (Sheena). Oh God. That makes five of us. Three dogs, me, and Sheena. There's only four seats in the van. Somebody's getting left behind.

All my choices feel gut-wrenching. I've been playing for hours. This is far and away the furthest I've gotten, and I was so close to just getting out with my dogs. But now these two things have names and somebody's getting left behind. I have no idea who it should be. How do you decide something like that?

Except, wait. There aren't five characters. There's four...and me. Technically, the game gave me a name at the start, and even some biographical details (one of them is about how I worked at an animal shelter, I kid you not). But I've never thought of my starting character as someone else. I've thought of it as me the whole time. I should stay behind. It turns out this is the only character I have the moral authority to make this choice for. It turns out there's no choice to be made.

So, I do. I go down swinging to keep the road clear as the three dogs and Sheena escape.
So... you technically lose the game but feel perfectly okay with it?

Honestly, dude. Sheena's dog had to go.

You'd sacrifice Goose? He was a light-colored Akita-looking dog!

Anyway, the game went on, just without "me," since from the game's perspective I'm not any of them. Sheena and all the dogs did indeed make it to the end of the game, though I won't say more than that. But I like the idea that, as far as I'm concerned, all I know is they escaped that situation, and what happens next isn't for me to know.

Technically it took the more rpg route, but dropped the ball hard when it came to anything remotely resembling an actual rpg game. To be honest, I don't think any recent game can compare to Witcher 3. You might need to wait for Cyberpunk .

Talking of Witcher 3, I now own it on another platform.

I'm a sucker for buying games which the Switch has no business being able to run - Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Diablo 3, Civ VI and now this.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Still haven't reconnect my ps4 since getting home. Scared to at this point thinking I might sink into a weekend bender.

=/

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Been tempted to have another go on Witcher 3 but on some sort of hard mode, plus I miss Gwent.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I know, between that and Disco Elysium I dunno how I'm gonna find time, since both promise to be the kinds of games that take over my brain for weeks at a time.

I started lurking this thread in recent days, hoping to see someone talk about Disco Elysium.

I started lurking this thread in recent days, hoping to see someone talk about Disco Elysium.
Yeah, I'm probably going to start it today/this weekend. Pretty excited. But paradoxically sometimes I don't play stuff I'm really looking forward to, either because I'm saving it (The Banner Saga 3) or, in this case, because I really expect to get sucked in and wanna get a few more tasks done first.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Been tempted to have another go on Witcher 3 but on some sort of hard mode, plus I miss Gwent.

And a robed Herman Munster leans over the court bench to ask the attorney, "Uuuuh wut? Uh Gwent? What is a 'Gwent?'"

A Gwent? Oh! Pardon me! I mean a "yeeooooouth."

Glad I'm not the only one. I've gotten good at curating my own interests so the things I'm liable to love, I usually know about well in advance and am waiting for, but this is an exception. Might just be one thing too many (many, there's so much interesting stuff coming out...), or might be marketing strategy on their part.

I think the combination of unknown developer plus £35 price tag and no real buzz didn't do it any favours.... but the reviews it has been getting are fantastic.

Talking of old school looking isometric RPGs, @Sedai , have you tried Divinity OS 2? Pretty darned good and there are bound to be a few deals around.