Emergence

Tools    

ABC ventures into Twilight Zone territory with an intriguing series about a small town police chief who encounters a young girl near the site of a plane crash who doesn't remember her name or anything else about her life. A couple conveniently show up to claim the girl, who the sheriff has named Piper, and are conveniently dispatched and, of course, it's not long before the finale of the pilot that we learn Piper is most likely an alien of some kind. There are, of course, lots of unanswered questions, most importantly, what is Piper's objective. What did keep me invested in this pilot was this female sheriff at the center of the proceedings. She's extremely smart and very vividly human and is always thinking. I loved when the couple arrived to claim Piper, who they called Olivia, she didn't take these people at their word and took their prints off their coffee cups and had them run. The relationship that has been established between Sheriff Evans, well played by Allison Tolman and this little girl, played by Alexa Swinton, is already shaping into something pretty special that is probably going to keep me watching.

Just wrapped episode 2...I love that no one knows where Piper comes from...including Piper...love that this sheriff is aware of the danger that Piper has brought to her home and her community but is not letting Piper go anywhere. Love Donald Faison as the ex too.

A system of cells interlinked
Gave this pilot a shot. Premise is fairly interesting, and they are building the mystery up pretty well, but wasn't a big fan of the lead actress. I will give the second episode a shot before decided if I want to stick with the show or not.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Gave this pilot a shot. Premise is fairly interesting, and they are building the mystery up pretty well, but wasn't a big fan of the lead actress. I will give the second episode a shot before decided if I want to stick with the show or not.

I agree with you about the lead actress, Allison Tolman. She's not a bad actress, but there's something about her that I don't like. I think it might be because I hated her character on the show "Good Girls", so maybe subconsciously, I might be bringing some of that hatred across to this show.

But I'm giving the show a chance because it's interesting. I just hope it doesn't let us down, like so many of these other strange mysteries have done in the past.

Just wrapped ep 3...Allison Tolman is killing it...those robot dogs were totally bad ass...LOVING this show.

I'm still sticking with the show, but I think it's a bit far-fetched. Apparently Piper is some kind of A.I., but nobody figured that out when she was in the hospital? That just doesn't make sense.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Somebody said that there is flesh there. Jo asks this very question ("But they DREW BLOOD!") and with one line they kinda shrug it off. But how they didn't find all that circuitry (which we see beneath the skin when Jo holds that metal disc-thing to Piper's wrist in the hospital) is very far-fetched.

Still, I'll allow it. Allison Tolman is worth watching all by herself. Loved her in Fargo -- she's getting close to be typecast as a small-town cop with those two roles alone.

I couldn't figure out why her speech patterns seemed familar. Then it hit me: she has the speaking cadence and rhythm of Ellen DeGeneres.

My concern about this series is: How are they going to get beyond a single season of this show? We know the main conflicts now, and anything beyond solving those huge issues will seem like a stretch. And it'll also seem like a stretch if they take multiple seasons to smooth out those major conflicts. Unsure what ABC's end game on this one is, but I'm curious enough to watch and find out.

And yes, the robot dogs were awesome. I've watch videos of those types of robots on multiple occasions, so seeing them used in a story was fun.

My concern about this series is: How are they going to get beyond a single season of this show? We know the main conflicts now, and anything beyond solving those huge issues will seem like a stretch. And it'll also seem like a stretch if they take multiple seasons to smooth out those major conflicts. Unsure what ABC's end game on this one is, but I'm curious enough to watch and find out.

They're probably going to do the same thing all these other shows have done. They're going to solve this mystery, but at the same time, they're going to start another one. And they'll keep on doing that until they let us down so much that we stop watching and they get cancelled.

The Adventure Starts Here!
They're probably going to do the same thing all these other shows have done. They're going to solve this mystery, but at the same time, they're going to start another one. And they'll keep on doing that until they let us down so much that we stop watching and they get cancelled.
That's what I was afraid of.

It doesn't help that Terry O'Quinn is playing Kindred. Reminded me immediately of LOST... and that had its own moments of hot mess, especially the ending.

Just wrapped ep 3...Allison Tolman is killing it...those robot dogs were totally bad ass...LOVING this show.
Really liked her in Fargo.

That's what I was afraid of.

It doesn't help that Terry O'Quinn is playing Kindred. Reminded me immediately of LOST... and that had its own moments of hot mess, especially the ending.

Yeah, he made me think of "Lost" too. Both shows have similar mystery feels to them, and "Lost" didn't end well, but I liked him as Joe White on "Hawaii Five-O", so hopefully that's a good sign.

Just wrapped ep 4 and all I want to know now is what happened between Jo and her mother. Sounds like a real can of worms they're opening up there.
There are two more eps to go, right?

Just wrapped ep 6, which appears to be the last show of season 1. Can't wait to see where they go with this. Hope we haven't seen the last of Terry O'Quinn's character...love him, what a fantastic actor.

The ending of episode 6 pretty well confused me, thinking that it was the end of the season. But according to Wikipedia there are 2 more episodes (8 altogether), so I'm sure everything will wind down and wrap up nicely.

~Doc