Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Both powerful documentaries.

'The Death of Dick Long' (2019)

Watchable, quirky, funny, farcical, dark humour. Comparisons with the Coens are inevitable but it doesn't quite manage to punch at their level.

A band practice night goes very wrong when 3 friends decide to drink and smoke too much. What follows is an attempt to cover crime and save face. The line between drama and comedy isn't really melded together that well (something the Coens do perfectly). But the performances are pretty good and it never feels long or a drag at any point.

I like that the title character is called Dick Long given the connotations. And the character Earl sounded just like Danny McBride in Eastbound and Down.

6.4/10

El Camino (2019)

My rating should be taken with a grain of salt. I loved it as a Breaking Bad fan, and it did seem like a good flick to me, but it's probably hard for me to be objective here. I think in the future I'm likely to think of it more as part of the show rather than a stand alone movie. Sad seeing Robert Forster.

Bill Evans: Time Remembered - 10/10
Finally caught this superb documentary on Amazon Prime last night. The experience was completely enthralling, equally due to the magnificence of Bill Evans' unique jazz piano, and also to the fine documentary construction.

Evans was one of the very few geniuses in the history of jazz, and he influenced every jazz pianist from the post-bop era through to today; from Dave Brubeck to Chick Corea, and most everyone in between.

The film fairly documents Evans' career from start to finish, including the bands he was in, those he led, his acquaintances, and his wives and family relationships. It also chronicles his problems with drug addiction and his untimely death at aged 51.

This is a must watch for jazz fans, and for anyone else who enjoys learning about the movers and shakers in modern music performance.

Doc's rating: 9/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Finally caught this superb documentary on Amazon Prime last night. The experience was completely enthralling, equally due to the magnificence of Bill Evans' unique jazz piano, and also to the fine documentary construction.

Evans was one of the very few geniuses in the history of jazz, and he influenced every jazz pianist from the post-bop era through to today; from Dave Brubeck to Chick Corea, and most everyone in between.

The film fairly documents Evans' career from start to finish, including the bands he was in, those he led, his acquaintances, and his wives and family relationships. It also chronicles his problems with drug addiction and his untimely death at aged 51.

This is a must watch for jazz fans, and for anyone else who enjoys learning about the movers and shakers in modern music performance.

Doc's rating: 9/10

Glad you checked it out... Brubeck and Kenton were great, but if I want one guy to listen to, it's Bill Evans, and I don't even need the trio. His solo piano work is wonderful.

The only thing I wish they would have looked into were what those demons were that led him to drug addiction. There was a mention how the noise in his head slowed down when he first tried heroin, but I wish they would have gone in more deeper.

I liked it too and I had much the same opinion about Scheider – you can read my reaction here:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...light=sorcerer
"I concluded it would have been weaker without Roy Scheider – as usual very engaging and interesting to watch."....could not agree more with this SeeingisBelieving.

"I concluded it would have been weaker without Roy Scheider – as usual very engaging and interesting to watch."....could not agree more with this SeeingisBelieving.
Yeah – that's what I thought .

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Three Tears on Bloodstained Flesh (Jakob Brlinski,2014)
+
The Lurking Man (Contract Job, 2017)
-
Hooker with a Hacksaw (Donald Farmer & Caroline Kopko, 2017)

Loners (Eryc Tramonn, 2019)

"Antisocial people" go on a government watchlist and are forced to participate in therapy to correct their "problem". A bit obvious but still knowing and funny..
Hank Boyd Is Dead (Sean Melia, 2015)
-
My Skin, Luminous Nicolás Pereda & Gabino Rodríguez, 2019)

The Fish Fall in Love (Ali Raffi, 2005)

Black Kite (Tarique Qayumi, 2017)

Pseudodocumentary about the last 40+ years in Afghanistan centering around why a husband/father still flies kites and teaches the younger generation to do so to experience freedom, even if it costs him his life.
Barre'$ Silence (Mehrdad Ahmadpour & Morvarid Peyda, 2013)
-
Wild People (Ray McCarey, 1933)

Next Stop Wonderland (Brad Anderson, 1998)

Maiden (Alex Holmes, 2018)
+

The historic saga of the Whitbread Round the World Race in 1989.
Evaru (Venkat Ramji, 2019)

Desert Pursuit (George Blair, 1952)

Bad at Dancing (Joanna Arnow, 2015)

Tolkien (Dome Karukoski, 2019)
+

J.R.R. Tolkien (Nicholas Hoult) talks to a good schoolmate.
Telling Lies in America (Brad Ferland, 1997)

Shakti (Martín Rejtman, 2019)
+
Ramekin (Cody Clarke, 2018)

The Silence (Baran bo Odar, 2010)
+

Two pedophile murder cases 23 years apart are strikingly similar and lead to complex investigations.

[
The Silence (Baran bo Odar, 2010)
+

Two pedophile murder cases 23 years apart are strikingly similar and lead to complex investigations.
[/center]
I really liked that movie. Same sort of vibe as 'Spoorloos'

Glad you checked it out... Brubeck and Kenton were great, but if I want one guy to listen to, it's Bill Evans, and I don't even need the trio. His solo piano work is wonderful.

The only thing I wish they would have looked into were what those demons were that led him to drug addiction. There was a mention how the noise in his head slowed down when he first tried heroin, but I wish they would have gone in more deeper.
The short answer IMO is that some people are genetically addictable, but most are not. There have been so many artists of all stripes drawn to drugs or booze, certainly in expressive or improvisational music, that it's almost an occupational hazard. Those that have vivid feelings and imaginations and who are in the business of expressing them, are some of the most natural folks to be lead into potential addiction, because it enhances their ability to zone in on their art, be innovative, and to get deeper into performance. The trouble is that it generally cannot last, and sooner or later the substance becomes more important than their expression, becoming a detraction rather than an aide. They burn hot while it lasts, but it almost never ends well.

~Doc