The MoFo Personal Pictures Thread

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
John - I like the simplicity of it.

I have a storage unit - $326.00 / month and they raise the price every 6 months (for nothing - I get no additional services and it doesn't cost them any more for my stuff to sit there than it did before the last price hike - they tell me it's the going rate for "real estate"). It's a total money pit. But where else can I put a house-worth's of furniture?

If your furniture is going to be in storage for a long time, you should figure out how much it will cost you to keep it in storage for that time. It might be worth selling it now, and buying new (or used) furniture later, when you have somewhere to put it.

You ready? You look ready.

I have a storage unit - $326.00 / month and they raise the price every 6 months (for nothing - I get no additional services and it doesn't cost them any more for my stuff to sit there than it did before the last price hike - they tell me it's the going rate for "real estate"). It's a total money pit. But where else can I put a house-worth's of furniture?
Thanks! I remember when I did all the measuring and realized I could fit it all in my second room. I did a little dance because I was able to start saving like $85 a month. It's not ideal but money is money, and it's not like I'm having guests over. So like, who cares?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

If your furniture is going to be in storage for a long time, you should figure out how much it will cost you to keep it in storage for that time. It might be worth selling it now, and buying new (or used) furniture later, when you have somewhere to put it.
What if, like me, there’s sentimental attachment to the furniture?

Captain, I thought you were frugal? Do you know how much money wasted that is? I mean at $326 a month for a year you've spent $3,912 to store what? A bunch of old furniture, that you may never use. To me that sounds more like a hoarding instinct, than frugality. As someone myself who has no money, I'd love to have an extra $326 a month. Storing furniture long term is a no brainier. By the time you get your furniture out of the storage, you would have spent enough money that you could just buy all new furniture.

When I first met my wife she had little money and had furniture in storage. The first thing I did was get my dad's truck and we took everything out of the storage, saving her much needed money. Some of that stuff wasn't even worth keeping. We gave some to the Goodwill, sold some of the bigger items that took up lots of room and then moved the rest of the smaller stuff into our small house. Sure we packed a room right to the ceiling with just a walkway down the middle of the room, but think of all the money we saved. It's nuts to spend money on storing furniture long term, I'm saying this as a friend.

Look, I have an old radio that my grandfather had to hide from Barcelona, Spain to Porto, Portugal in 1930-1940, it's a 1200km walk. That radio was the heart and soul of the entire household of five children's during the dictatorship, was what they listened in the morning before going to work, and after going to bed.

I have a rooking chair that belong to my other grandfather, was the only chair he ever seated, the chair he seated while he told me stories, most of which racist as a mother f*cker, but they were funny at the time, actually, they're still funny. That's it, nothing else. I think this is sentimental value, in case of a fire that's the two things I would ever save. I don't need a storage unit for that.

That's consumerism, materialism talking man.

As always, I’m happy to derail threads with philosophical talk.

I had my storage unit for about 6 months and the entire time I was trying to get everything in there out of the unit. This furniture is my most prized possession at the moment. So, so many memories are tied up in it that every time I sit or look at it I’m happy. It ain’t the most comfortable furniture around but by God it’s mine.

Except the couch. Dear Lord, I couldn’t get rid of that thing quick enough. There are some things you just don’t want to think about when you look at your furniture.

That's consumerism, materialism talking man.
Maybe in some cases. In lots of others it's simple pragmatism: lots of objects are useful. When you have more useful objects than you do space, it can be judicious to pay a little extra to keep them for a time, in case they're needed later.

At some point you should try to recognize that your experiences are not universal, and that you can't form a meaningful assessment of other people's choices made in totally different places and circumstances, of which you do not know very much.

As always, I’m happy to derail threads with philosophical talk.

I had my storage unit for about 6 months and the entire time I was trying to get everything in there out of the unit. This furniture is my most prized possession at the moment. So, so many memories are tied up in it that every time I sit or look at it I’m happy. It ain’t the most comfortable furniture around but by God it’s mine.

Except the couch. Dear Lord, I couldn’t get rid of that thing quick enough. There are some things you just don’t want to think about when you look at your furniture.
Yeah, there's lots of my stuff in storage with sentimental value, items that could never be found again because they just don't make them anymore, items I'll eventually need wherever I live when whatever I'm using now breaks or wears out, etc. My entire comic collection & library is in storage (and yeah, I've been gradually trying to thin it out for years). All my artwork (that I did myself along with artwork from others) is in storage. My art table is in storage and I don't ever want to get rid of that. An "art center" (a set of shelves, tool drawers and pull-out drawing surfaces) that I actually commissioned to have built! I've got an antique desk I went through great efforts to obtain and an antique dry-sink (not to mention a fold out couch, bed, chairs, a really unique kitchenette folding table set with chairs, etc.)

And there simply is nowhere to put anything where I currently reside.

I'm going with gbg's idea of trying to scale down (although I don't know how) then try to find a smaller, cheaper unit.

I hate the idea of someday getting my own place again and having to sleep on the floor because I have no furniture and have to start over with nothing.

Yoda, I don't really know exactly what you want, you're all gypsy all the time bringing everything to the level you want. Forget it mate, it's long gone. Turn the page.

John McClane, not philosophical mate, just tiny bit of Tyler Durden. All jokes aside, if you like that furniture why don't you get rid of the one you have and use that one? Why did you bought another in the first place?

About the subject: This reminded me of this old guy, Mr. Richard, 109-years old, now death, Texas, and he said beyond all other interesting stuff: "I would buy one thing, I would use that one thing. I wouldn't buy one thing, and go buy another and go buy another". I mean, is his opinion, I think it's a sane opinion. I always like to say: If you had to build that chair you'd give the value it deserves. If you had to hunt for that meat you wouldn't trow it away, you'd give the value it deserves.

Yoda, I don't really know exactly what you want
I mean, you should, since I already said exactly what it was I wanted:
... try to recognize that your experiences are not universal, and that you can't form a meaningful assessment of other people's choices made in totally different places and circumstances, of which you do not know very much.
you're all gypsy all the time bringing everything to the level you want. Forget it mate, it's long gone. Turn the page.
Huh? I don't even have a storage unit. But I'm capable of making a distinction between things I don't do and things that shouldn't be done at all. I recommend trying to do the same.

About the subject: This reminded me of this old guy, Mr. Richard, 109-years old, now death, Texas, and he said beyond all other interesting stuff: "I would buy one thing, I would use that one thing. I wouldn't buy one thing, and go buy another and go buy another". I mean, is his opinion, I think it's a sane opinion. I always like to say: If you had to build that chair you'd give the value it deserves. If you had to hunt for that meat you wouldn't trow it away, you'd give the value it deserves.
Sure, it's a sane opinion. It's just not very comprehensive; part of the cycle of poverty is that you need something, but can't afford to buy a version that lasts.

As I keep saying, there are many life circumstances that you probably haven't experienced that fall well outside of these opinionated broadsides.

A system of cells interlinked
At least post a picture with your arguments, just to stay on topic!

As soon as my old man leaves the room, I’m at that piano.