Statistics on posts, rep, etc.
6.06%
2 votes
Overhauled forum structure
15.15%
5 votes
Something else (specified below)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

More progress on this today, just wanna iron out a few more things. Small change at first but I'm gonna start reorienting things pretty quick, I think.

Found a possible replacement for the search, too, which I'll test out in the next few days.
Will it still use boolean search?

Okay, a very rough version of this is up.

Here's the basic idea: from an individual movie page, there's a box to post a comment. If you use this it'll create a new thread, and that thread will be "attached" to that movie page, and not actually in the normal forums. There's a special forum called Specific Movie Threads that will hold them; they'll show up in searches, and New Posts, but the forum that holds them isn't on the forum home page.

If there are no such threads, the forum will simply search for similar-sounding threads and use those until people create new ones, at which point it'll just use those. I'll probably fiddle so that it's transitional, so that if someone starts one thread from the movie page it doesn't just display the one, but "fills out" the other slots with the title search thing.

Example of a movie page with a thread "attached" to it (I cheated by adding one manually that's already existed awhile): Joker.

Example of a movie page with no threads attached that displays its best guess at related threads in the meantime: Taxi Driver.

Small by itself, but I'm going to change some other stuff to re-orient the site more towards those movie pages. This'll probably not change too much for anyone who likes the site the way it is. Most likely next step is just putting new releases at the top of a new home page so people can quickly find a way to talk about something they just saw.

Let me know if you guys find any issues or bugs. Very much an ongoing process...

Love this idea and I think it will be a big plus to the site. But I'm not a fan of this specific function:
If there are no such threads, the forum will simply search for similar-sounding threads and use those until people create new ones, at which point it'll just use those.
I think that's not a good way to go. I just did a test search on the movie page for Blood Diamond and it had filler threads with the word Diamond that were totally useless if I was interested in the movie. To me the non relevant auto filling is a deterrent from people thinking there's anything useful. It would be better if the results for a movie with no thread written yet, simply came back with a holder thread from you that said 'This movie title doesn't currently have any threads associated with it, you can create a thread by typing something relevant in the search box.'

It appears the auto fill threads are being pulled from either and or words, instead of the entire phrase. Perhaps if a search for Blood Diamond only pulled in results for "Blood Diamond" then the auto fill threads would be relevant.

Test results for the Blood Diamond movie page.
Old Diamond Heist Movie Help I remember seeing a movie - probably back in the 70's. What I remember is a very elaborate plan to steal some diamonds (I think). The last step was for a woman to put them in her purse and walk down t...
5 Diamond hunting movie english spoken movie from either the 70-80 or early 90s. a poor man is looking for diamonds, he makes a bad deal with a person and finds diamonds but doesnt get to keep them. then later he an anoth...

3 Happy Birthday, Neil Diamond! Happy Birthday, Neil Diamond! Neil Diamond - Singer, songwriter who has sold over 125 million records worldwide, making him one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. He has had elev...

7 movie with neil diamond music in it I am attempting to find out the name of a good move that has Neil Diamonds music in it. One song in particular that I remember is "Brother Loves travelin Salvation Show" If you can tell me...

2 Diamond Dead George Romero If you haven't heard George Romero is directing a new movie called Diamond Dead. I've read the script and find it to be very bizaar. That's not a bad thing though. It's definetly different but right ...

Yeah, I admit I'm not nuts about it either. In a lot of cases it produces very good results, but in some it doesn't. One thought I had was that maybe I can just use this, but make it really easy to exclude threads that don't seem like a good fit. Also, ideally this'll be a temporary thing since before long a lot of the most-trafficked movie pages will have something up there created this way.

Maybe I can split the difference and do the "none found" thing but also present suggested threads, so it'll be less confusing to see ones that don't match as well.

I checked the results for a few more movies, and yes some pulled better auto results. Movies with unique, one word titles did well in that regard, like Ghostbusters. While movies with common words in the title like Blood Diamond pulled unrelated threads.

How about a movie title initially pulls from the data base using boolean like this "blood diamond". That way only existing threads that uses the phrase 'blood diamond' would be pulled in and not 'blood' or 'diamond' by themselves. I don't know if that's much work for you, but there's literally 100,000s of movie titles that will probably never have a thread directly written from it's movie page so the initial results would seem to be important as to their relevancy.

There are a few ways to go, but I suspect this is gonna be a little like whack-a-mole. For good titles it works really well, and if I changed that a lot of them would get worse to make the others better. Right now it's using a "score" based on title similarity.

Let me think about this for a day or two and try to come up with something that doesn't involve too much work.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Few quick questions:
How does the Post Comment box relate to the movie page or the forum threads associated to that movie? I mean is it 1) a movie-specific form of the Shout Box? Or 2) a means to create a new "forum thread" that is associated to the movie because I'm starting it from that movie's dedicated page? Or 3) Something else?

If I create a new random forum thread on the Joker topic, how do I associate that thread to the movie page? Or is that more automatic based on title keywords?

In the Taxi Driver sample there are several threads. Are those associated because of the title keywords? Or is there some manual connection that users will assign to future threads to get them to show up there?

I'm probably just misunderstanding but asking a million questions always helps me to better relate to someone else's thought process.

I'm digging the concept as I understand it and I like the layout. Lots of information to catch. Good job.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I think all of these are answered in the post above, but I'll clarify/quote the relevant bits, since some of it's not super intuitive:

How does the Post Comment box relate to the movie page or the forum threads associated to that movie? I mean is it 1) a movie-specific form of the Shout Box? Or 2) a means to create a new "forum thread" that is associated to the movie because I'm starting it from that movie's dedicated page? Or 3) Something else?
The second one. Fleshed out a bit more here:
...from an individual movie page, there's a box to post a comment. If you use this it'll create a new thread, and that thread will be "attached" to that movie page, and not actually in the normal forums. There's a special forum called Specific Movie Threads that will hold them; they'll show up in searches, and New Posts, but the forum that holds them isn't on the forum home page.
If I create a new random forum thread on the Joker topic, how do I associate that thread to the movie page? Or is that more automatic based on title keywords?
As of right now, you don't. The threads are associated simply because they were created from the movie page.

In the Taxi Driver sample there are several threads. Are those associated because of the title keywords? Or is there some manual connection that users will assign to future threads to get them to show up there?
If there are no such threads, the forum will simply search for similar-sounding threads and use those until people create new ones, at which point it'll just use those.
So, right now, the Taxi Driver ones are just from searching the forums based on the movie title and presenting the best ones. If you went and added something from that page, all of those would be gone, and just what you posted would replace it, since the system would say "hey, there's an associated thread, no need to do the search thing."

I'm probably just misunderstanding but asking a million questions always helps me to better relate to someone else's thought process.
Not a problem. Happy to answer.

I'm digging the concept as I understand it and I like the layout.
Yeah, I think it's gonna be good long-term. This is, by itself, a very small thing, but one thing IMDB had right is that most people have just seen a movie and want to talk about it, or have a question about it, so it's far more intuitive for them to find the movie and then post something, as opposed to start with forum categories, and then look for threads.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thanks for spelling it out for me. I can be kinda thick-headed sometimes until something just clicks then it all kinda falls into place.

Nah, this stuff is always a little confusing when described, it probably seems clearer to me because I'm knee deep in it. Questions aren't a problem.

I'm pretty sure I asked this already, but would you be able to add recently seen/rated films to the profile page? Something akin to the favorites list.

I'm pretty sure I asked this already, but would you be able to add recently seen/rated films to the profile page? Something akin to the favorites list.
Solid idea, and not super hard to implement. I'll make a note.

If this doesn't happen soonish, most likely reason isn't that it's hard, but that I might want to fold it into a few other similarly-sized updates to the profile page all at once.

Okay, cool, found a good solution: the automatic forum search that happens if there's no attached discussion? It's based on a search score. So I poked around some of the examples and decided to exclude anything with a score below a certain threshold. If it doesn't find any threads it thinks are good matches, it'll display a "none found" message instead.

I'll poke around to make sure it's working well, but at first glance I think this should be a really solid solution. Thankfully, if it seems a little too loose or a little too tight (the latter is probably better, in a vacuum), I can tweak the threshold, too.

One other note, I made it so it has to meet the score threshold unless the thread title is identical to the movie title. Believe it or not the score doesn't come back particularly high in some cases (like No Country for Old Men), I believe because of the nature of the words that constitute the title. So, it'll grab the results, sort by score, check to see if the score is high enough, but automatically let through anything with the exact same title.

for the new tweaks on the auto thread insert...Excellent job, they seem to work really well. I entered some random movie titles and the results came back quite efficiently, movies like Blade Runner had very relevant results and movies like Seven Men From Now (an old western that's really good) came back with nothing as one would expect as that movie isn't well known. So that's all looking good.

I know you appreciate honest feedback, so I have to say I'm not a fan of the prefilled reply: Say some stuff. Or not. Whatever.
To me it sounds negative or jaded. I know its probably meant to be humorous, but maybe something more helpful even if it's more boring.

Just a little thing

Hehe. Fair enough. I just threw it in there. I am a fan, in general, of injecting personality into those kinds of things, but it's a fine line.

Anyway, a lot of this will change.