Carol's Second Act

Tools    

Right after the cancellation of ABC's The Middle, Emmy winner Patricia Heaton comes to CBS playing Carol Kenney, a retired teacher who decides to go to medical school and is just beginning her internship. After ten minutes of tired jokes about how old Heaton's character is, the pilot does settle down into a predictable but entertaining show, aided by Lucas Neff as the intern who got in the program because of who he knows and Jean-Luc Bilodeau as the cocky-know it all. Kyle MacLachlan works very hard at trying to be funny as the chief of staff who takes a liking to Carol but Ito Aghayere just grated on the nerves as Dr. Jacobs, the senior resident and Carol's main antagonist. This one could ride a season or two on Heaton's proven reputation as a television staple, but the writing needs to be stepped up for this one to have any staying power.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It took a while for me to get into "Carol's Second Act". I didn't like it at first because I thought Patricia Heaton's character was kind of a ditz, but she got better as the episode went on. I liked her a little bit by the end of the episode, but I don't know yet if I'm going to stick with this show. I'll probably give it a few more episodes to see if it gets better, but I'm definitely on the fence with this show right now.