Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Trollhunter. Seen it several times before and I love it. My favourite of the few found footage films I have seen.

I love Troll Hunter .

Dam Busters (1955)
After watching the first 15 minutes,I found it so dry I skipped to the last act. It's almost as if the movie makers concentrated so much on historical accuracy that they forgot they were making a drama.
A remake is in sore need. Sure, we may not have the bombers anymore, but they could probably do a good job with CGI now.
6/10.
Just out of interest – are they keeping the dog's name in the version you saw? So much is edited or prefaced with a disclaimer now.

Rick and Morty: Auto Erotic Assimilation (TV, 2015) 6/10

It did amuse me that the most vocal Unity mouthpieces had a 'specific' resemblance to Christina Hendricks .

Rick and Morty: Pickle Rick (TV, 2017) 7.5/10

Probably the most bizarre episode I've seen to date. I hadn't a clue where it could go and it ended up being so over-the-top it worked . Susan Sarandon crept up on me even though her voice should have been pretty recognisable.

Shadows: The Inheritance (TV, 1976) 5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
A bit of a dip in form with this one but it improved as it went along. As with the episode The Dark Streets of Kimball's Green, history is haunting the present. I enjoyed the allusions to a symbiosis between the gamekeepers and the deer and a closer association with nature, represented in the horn dance. Dreams came into play but while the pay-off was satisfying I felt that the grandson's 'vision' should have also been in a dream. As shown it's unclear whether it's a daydream, from his imagination, or an actual apparition, so a lot of potential ambience is missed.
  • John Barrett was very familiar and it turns out he was Mr. Olthwaite, father of the eponymous Eric, in Ripping Yarns, who, in his son's presence, would pretend to be French just to avoid speaking to him .

Rick and Morty: Anatomy Park (TV, 2013) 7/10

Loved the finale – so callous . There's a notable line in this where Rick tells Morty to hold his breath during the miniaturisation process. It struck a chord because miniaturisation featured a year later in the Doctor Who episode Into the Dalek – with maybe the Rickest characterisation of the Doctor. There, the miniaturees are advised to breathe normally, with breath-holding a definite no-no .

Bloodline (2019)

Small story that I'd call more a black comedy than a psychological thriller. Seann William Scott is great as the new dad that's past and sense of "protecting his son" gets way out of order. I liked this and and am increasingly thinking Scott has a lot of strings to his bow.

Seven Chances (1925)

After not being a big fan of The Navigator a week ago, I thought I was getting sick of Buster Keaton. It seems that I just didn't like that movie as much as his others because this was very good. Some really funny moments and a crazy scene with some boulders. Just under an hour long and on Dailymotion.

A Dog's Life (1918)

Chaplin and a dog, so easy to like. 33 minutes long and on YouTube, so easy to watch.

Parasite (2019)

Several folks have recommended this movie, and I just got around to watching it last night. It's a South Korean film directed by Joon-Ho Bong (Okja, Snowpiercer).

Advertised as a thriller, the movie is actually a wild ride, full of off-beat and wacky comedy, up until the abrupt change of pace in the finale that was very surprising. It includes first rate acting, and some emergent cinematography that grabs one's attention.

I've only watched half a dozen Korean films, and not one has been sub-par. It makes me wonder what they're doing over there to have such a high percentage of quality!

Doc's rating: 7/10

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)

Reminded me of Baraka (1992), only with a lot more kinetic energy and delivered at a frenzied pace. The film isn't a story, it's a kaleidoscope of images blended together with some amazing film technique that must have been cutting edge for the time. It was fascinating to see, sort of an early art house film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Magnificent Obsession (1954)

IMO,
is much too low for Magnificent Obsession. This movie deserves at least
+ to

Rocketman (2019)

I went into this one pretty excited because I like Elton John more than I like Queen, and I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was great. However, this one seemed to be missing some intangible element to make it a superb movie. It seemed rushed at times, so I'm simply giving it one notch lower than I gave BR

Ad Astra. Terrible movie imho. 3/10

The Innocence Of Lizette (James Kirkwood, 1916)
+
A simple girl, a simple tale, simply difficult to see much appeal though