The Videogames Tab

Tools    

What're the issues you have with the Epic Games launcher? I don't love it, I obviously hate that I can't even Wishlist stuff (I imagine that's imminent, but still, launching without it is kinda ridiculous). In terms of responsiveness and stability it seems on par with most others, though. But then, I kinda think Steam has been getting bloatier for awhile now...as all such things do.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Wishlists and cloud saves are very very basic things in 2019, especially for a company as rich as Epic these days. On a more subjective level, I just don't like the way it looks.

But, hey, you can play Tetris Effect on it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm sure people are doing PhD theses on gaming cultures already, but they should definitely include this...

'In praise of Skyrim’s oldest mystery -
How a collection of insect jars led to years of conspiracy theories.'

That culmination with the dark elf apocalypse theory, and then the reveal. Damn

I saw the headline in their notification and thought the same thing.

But geez, yeah, two really good games. A lot of these giveaways are for good games I didn't already have.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Picked up Mortal Kombat XL and The Bioshock Collection for $20 each. Not bad considering Bioshock Collection is $79.99 on the psn store.

Trying to Platinum peggle 2 right now, helped a friend platinum Overcooked 2.

Over my 4 month paternity leave, I finished Spider-Man and Peggle 2....NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

I have God of War, Bloodborne, RDR2, HZD, among others....haven't really touched them. It's a shame.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
CONTROL
Guess wut? I'm still loving this game. For the minor faults I have with it (and they ARE minor), the developers really did a great job transitioning between game play and cut scenes. There are no super high resolution pre-rendered sequences with mediocre game play graphics. It's all on the same level and near indistinguishable from one to the other. Also, I can't say enough about the character animations and subtle details. One character transition to the other is so fluid and snappy. Even details in how your weapon transforms in your hand is cool. During conversational scenes you can see the character thinking through posture, eyes darting left and right, blinking, and grimaces. Personality really does come through. Granted, I don't play as many games as I'm sure most of you do, but I have been taken aback by it all.

Following is a clip I recorded this weekend. It's halfway into the game and I don't think I'm giving any spoilers away, but even if there's some recognizable something that you pick up on, chances are you will have forgotten it if you ever start the game. Too, so many areas are repeatable, even requiring you to return to access hidden corridors revealed only as you progress that it probably doesn't matter what you see.

So for setup, I'm on a mission to discover and cleanse the Mirror Object of Power. The history and personality of this object is detailed in documents collected around this zone but, as usual, nothing too revealing. This particular one is in some kind of security storage unit that you have to figure out how to access. So far this is one of the more interesting puzzles in the game. It took a good bit of screwing around before things clicked for me. I edited that out because 1) it took me too long to solve, and 2) I don't want to drop spoilers or cheats, ruining your potential game experience should you pick this up at some point.

Once I had access to the mirror I loved the mood of the reflected reality. It reminded me of the Upside Down from Netflix's Stranger Things. Noting the details again, all of the text within the reflected world is reversed. That includes location signage, cell IDs, posters and documents scattered around the level, and your external voice and enemy names. It's really very nice, IMO.

This is a slow clip for the most part as I play two recordings to offer a sense of how you can learn information. Very much like the Bioshock recordings there. I do run into a sort of level boss, I suppose, and die pretty quickly, but this was just such a neat sequence I really wanted to share. The fight was pretty nail-biting for me and pretty fun to watch now that I see what happened in a less frenzied pace.

When I get more time I'll post up the fight with a giant cyclops cockroach. Yeah, I don't know. It just appeared and I had to deal with it.

P.S. I take back what I said about humor. It's not in my character so much, but in the documents you find around the game. For instance, I've read a memo argument between two researchers trying to compete as to who has the creepiest job in the Oldest House. One received a shipment of a few hundred tiny boxes to archive. Within each box was a single worn human tooth. The coworker trumped that by sharing how he had a delivery come in with what appeared to be the partially decomposed body of a dog. Collar and all. And I still find memos of staff complaining that the bathrooms keep relocating themselves.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

For the record NMS in VR is fricking ace . But I'm keeping my giddy blogging about it over in the NMS thread

Caveat: It's also buggy as ****, and performs like an elephant on a balance ball. As one of many examples: My base was eaten by the ground today.

(But I don't even care . Figuring out how to get back in was like a bonus challenge )

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
For the record NMS in VR is fricking ace . But I'm keeping my giddy blogging about it over in the NMS thread

Caveat: It's also buggy as ****, and performs like an elephant on a balance ball. As one of many examples: My base was eaten by the ground today.

(But I don't even care . Figuring out how to get back in was like a bonus challenge )
Ha! That a hint to drop my posts into a dedicated thread? Prolly not bad idea actually. Or I could drop them into your NMS and be roomies! Flatmates? Whatever the term is in your neck of the woods.

Seriously though, VR is still on my list.... Too many other priority toys at the moment. Sigh.

Ha! That a hint to drop my posts into a dedicated thread? Prolly not bad idea actually. Or I could drop them into your NMS and be roomies! Flatmates? Whatever the term is in your neck of the woods.

Seriously though, VR is still on my list.... Too many other priority toys at the moment. Sigh.
Just a general advert for all things NMS & VR

I believe the correct term is 'Riders of Dinosaurs', 'Seekers of Space Ships' or 'People Who Shoot At Rocks'

Yeah I'm def up for multiplay, although it's a fight to align international time zones

TBH on VR the headset situation is in a bit of flux right now, so probably a good time to hold. The older gear like mine is losing support for parts, so a bit of a risky buy on the 2nd hand market. And the newer gear has all been more of a side-grade then a big upgrade, which keeps flip flopping on what it wants to be. (IE Oculus launching the free roaming headset that you can now tether to your PC...)

The buy-in price is slowly dialling down though, and the visual quality is going up. And games of note like NMS are stacking up. At some point some fancy-shmancy headset will drop. And then all this current gen will drop to properly affordable prices

Started playing Sea of Solitude. It's kind of like Rime if anyone played that...a bit darker though

The People's Republic of Clogher

I was in multiplayer with a friend in NMS the other day and she is playing single player totally in VR but can't do it online because of the bugs and weirdness.

In other news - RDR 2 coming to PC on 5th November!

I'll not be buying on release, certainly, even though I'm playing a fair bit of the console multiplayer still. The 700GB it'll invariably take up is better served right now by having other things on my hard drive.

I was in multiplayer with a friend in NMS the other day and she is playing single player totally in VR but can't do it online because of the bugs and weirdness.
Yeah single-player VR has only just about hit stability with the latest patches. I'd expect co-op load to bring back a lotta screen melt and temporal glitch . (That said the Nexus all works, happily running around waving at randos and that. But that's away from the proc gen...)

Seems the latest CPU patch has done good things for console. Fingers crossed for PC...