90s movie with girls in a prison or institution

Tools    

Hello,
I was hoping you guys could help me out with the title to a movie. All I remember is its about two teen girls that are trouble makers. I think one of the girls kills someone. I think they go to prison or a mental institution. I think they eventually fall in love and write each other letters. It has to be a 90's movie. I'm sorry that's all I remember.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This isn't quite your description but overlaps some. Fits time frame and has the character writing letters from prison.

Brokedown Palace

Thanks for your replies! It's not any of the movies you guys have suggested. I will preview them again just to make sure. I know my description is very vague. I will try to remember some more details.

A system of cells interlinked
I will second Mark's entry - Heavenly Creatures.

Heavenly creatures is really close but I think I remember it being based in the USA. It might not be a 90's movie. Man I really want to know what this movie is. My uncle rented it from a video store when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old. That was in '96/'97. Thanks for trying guys!

Heavenly Creatures was set in New Zealand, based on a true story. If you saw it when you were 9 or 10, you might not have understood it wasn't set in the United States.

Sucker punch