New Jack City reboot

Tools    

https://deadline.com/2019/09/new-jac...ng-1202742986/

"We are getting word from sources that Warner Bros is rebooting its 1991 neo-noir gangster film New Jack City, and that multi-hyphenate Snowfall actor and filmmaker Malcolm M. Mays is writing.

The original movie, directed by Mario Van Peebles and written by Thomas Lee Wright, boasted a star cast that included Wesley Snipes, Ice-T, Chris Rock, Flavor Flav, Allen Payne, Judd Nelson and Peebles. Snipes played arrogant New York City drug lord Nino Brown during the 1980s crack epidemic. Ice-T portrayed Scotty Appleton, a detective who goes undercover in Nino’s gang, the Cash Money Brothers, to bring down the drug lord for taking the life of his mother. Rock was “Pookie” Benny Robinson, a former stick-up kid who becomes homeless and poor after Appleton shoots him in the ankle. Pookie becomes a crack addict and eventually a police informant and infiltrates the Cash Money Brothers.

No director is attached yet to the new New Jack City, which Bill Gerber (A Star Is Born) is producing along with the pic’s original producer Doug McHenry."

Love New Jack City and loved Snowfall, too. It sounds like a marriage made in heaven, but let's see when they set it and how they play it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
"Everybody wanna be Nino Brown, Nino Brown."

The original film is one of my guilty pleasures and am not thrilled at the idea of a remake, but I need to know who's going to be cast in the principal roles before passing judgment.

Hollywood has run out of creative minds and original screenwriters.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I don't think that's true at all. Hollywood has just become even more risk adverse especially, IMO, since the N.American market has become less important.