Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Red and the White - 7.5/10
I liked this a lot. My only problem was not knowing all the sides, because I'm reading subtitles, and there's the pro and anti-Bolsheviks, and then you add Hungarians, and both sides speak the other language at times. It was a personal war movie. It seems like most of the movies that take place over 100 years ago spend too much effort emphasizing the dress, costumes, speech. And then I think "This was made about 10 years after the USSR invaded Hungary".

The Navigator (1924)

It was good but I was less enamored with it than other Buster Keaton movies. Perhaps I'm a little overloaded after watching a bunch recently.

Parasite (2019) -

I usually like to make sure the films I give this rating to are at least a year old. Since I'm confident enough that this one will stay this high though, I'm going to leave it like this. Like Burning, another recent South Korean film which I love, this one is best to go into without knowing much about the plot, so I'm not going to say too much about it. What I will say though is that it's a multi-layered, fascinating film which took the themes of another one of Joon-ho Bong's films which I consider to be great and actually managed to perfect them to something far more shocking and enthralling as multiple developments of them are daring to the point that the film constantly runs the risk of falling apart, yet thanks to Bong's direction, everything is held together quite flawlessly and, as a result, the entire film makes for a truly breathtaking feat. With that out of the way, I'll also add that the comedy is well-written and funny, yet it never manages to undermine the more serious elements to the film, the cinematography/framing is quite good, the final act is outstanding, and the final minute or so is truly sublime. Make sure to keep an eye out for this one.

True Grit (2010)

I enjoyed this quite a bit but it felt a little off to me, no surprise with it being a Coen movie. Their movies are usually love or hate for me. This ended up being somewhere in the middle. Until his last couple of scenes, Matt Damon (or his character) brought the movie way down whenever he was on screen. I generally like him but thought he was a bad fit. Josh Brolin was ineffective in his small role when he finally appeared. Jeff Bridges and the girl, and their relationship, was the strength of the film. No surprise when I saw Steven Spielberg's name in the credits as producer, and I think he had good and bad influences. Overall an uneven experience.

Parasite (2019) - 7.5/10. Amazingly well done. The plot, the twist, the humour everything was spot on. Absolutely loved it. Waiting to see what it's up against at the Oscars.

True Grit (2010)
I watched this movie a month ago and a month later I'm reading your review and I was trying to guess what movie was it; that's how much I liked it. Had to read your review to remind myself Matt Damon was in the film.

Cops (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton, 1922)

Criminally limited in laughs for me

Day Dreams (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton, 1922)
+
Inventive and amusing in places but sadly also missing footage

Shadows of Fear: The Death Watcher (TV, 1971) – 6/10

My first experience of this series; it was the subject matter that attracted me – a scientist trying to prove that spirits can communicate with the living. It's a different slant on the concept, and has some unsettling moments, but overall I found it a bit lacking. Judy Parfitt was the best thing about it I felt, and it stars John Neville a year before he left for Canada. An interesting technique, and something that amused me, was the regular use in flashback of the smug, know-it-all husband.

Shadows: Time Out of Mind (TV, 1976) – 7.5/10

Very good, this. Very good. Some visual tricks that I can't remember seeing before and I know this era pretty well. The first thing we see is the teenage main character, Liz, daydreaming. She imagines herself in place of the subjects of different photographs in a shop window. This was achieved seamlessly and makes today's Photoshop jobs look really terrible. The next effect is the girl imagining a series of different buildings, including a castle, taking the place of her home. Eventually, during a visit to a museum, Liz is literally projected into a turn of the century doll's house, assuming the form of the maid and interacting with versions of her own family as her 'betters'. What I particularly enjoyed here is the production design – again, I've never seen anything like it. The rooms of the period house are done in such a way as to retain the sense of being inside a miniature, I would say through certain 'imperfections', such as the wallpaper and the hand drawn scenery through the windows. Fascinating stuff. The only part of the story that seemed silly was that Liz is pretty much dragged to the museum by her mum despite showing an enquiring mind as well as an interest in history during the opening sequence .

Grown-ups 2

On a rainy day and wanting to hate it (democracy prevailed) I found this a good laugh!

True Grit (2010)

I enjoyed this quite a bit but it felt a little off to me, no surprise with it being a Coen movie. Their movies are usually love or hate for me. This ended up being somewhere in the middle. Until his last couple of scenes, Matt Damon (or his character) brought the movie way down whenever he was on screen. I generally like him but thought he was a bad fit. Josh Brolin was ineffective in his small role when he finally appeared. Jeff Bridges and the girl, and their relationship, was the strength of the film. No surprise when I saw Steven Spielberg's name in the credits as producer, and I think he had good and bad influences. Overall an uneven experience.
Matt Damon (who I like) was awful in this. Stilted. Takes some doing out woodening Glen Campbell. The film was good though and more should have been made of the bond between Rooster and the lass. Such a patchy movie.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle 1973 Directed by Peter Yates

(soundtrack 5/5)
i need to have a look at this.

i need to have a look at this.
Yeah it's in the Seven-Ups ball park with the look and atmosphere, but much more sober and less suspenseful, still definitively worth a watch.