12 Angry Men is on my top ten list of all time

Tools    

I saw this film in one of my high school classes and I remember liking it. Of course, I was a complete dope back then so I didn’t really pay close attention to it. Because of that, I decided to rewatch it tonight. If anybody hasn’t seen it, I HIGHLY recommend watching it. It was made in 1957, and it’s about 12 jurors debating a murder case. Even though it’s an older film, it touches on themes that are still relevant in today’s society. Incredibly well made and had me hooked from beginning to end. If anybody knows of any other films similar to this one, please recommend them to me lol

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Yes, it's a great movie. It's also a reminder to think things through before your emotions lead to incorrect and/or unintended actions and consequences.

sorry, but there's no way a movie with this many angry men could be good. i'm afraid i'll have to pass
criticker

I saw this film in one of my high school classes and I remember liking it. Of course, I was a complete dope back then so I didn’t really pay close attention to it. Because of that, I decided to rewatch it tonight. If anybody hasn’t seen it, I HIGHLY recommend watching it. It was made in 1957, and it’s about 12 jurors debating a murder case. Even though it’s an older film, it touches on themes that are still relevant in today’s society. Incredibly well made and had me hooked from beginning to end. If anybody knows of any other films similar to this one, please recommend them to me lol
Ha! We were all dopes when in high school...

If you haven't seen Anatomy of a Murder (1959), you really must. It's a wonderful picture, and is considered by many to be the best courtroom film ever done.

Directed by Otto Preminger, starring James Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara, and George C. Scott.

~Doc

sorry, but there's no way a movie with this many angry men could be good. i'm afraid i'll have to pass
What? Are you saying you don't love 12 Angry Men I sure don't like that movie, too much spoon feeding going on.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
i definitely agree and it's on my top ten as well, maybe even top 5.

They're not all really that angry. Come to think of it only a couple get really angry.

They're not all really that angry. Come to think of it only a couple get really angry.
Funny you should post this but the working title for a long time was actually 10 Slightly Disgruntled Men And A Couple That Get Rather More Hot Under The Collar. Studio made them change it for release though. Bloody stuffed shirts - always interfering

What happens to the remaining two angry men?
They actually enter into a civil marriage together and open up an ice-cream parlour in Yonkers ... but that part was cut from the finished product as it was felt it extended the running time just too much.

I recently saw the last half ( tuned in late to a movie channel) of the film, and that may have colored my opinion. But I knew the gist of it - have to side more with @Citizen Rules on this one.

I' m sure it was original and groundbreaking for its time. And great cast ( fun to see John Fiedler off the Enterprise ) But it was just an endless and occasionally histrionic debate to me ( a male version of The View? , perhaps, but not as funny) . I know it's considered a classic and I can't argue with that - but it's not on my list.Though I think I may want to try watching @GulfportDoc's suggestion of Anatomy of a Murder.

What got me-SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!! for anyone who hasn't seen it -

is that we never found out if the accused was actually guilty.

I know someone s gonna say that wasn't the point of the movie, but it bugged me. And personally, I think the guy did it🙄

...Though I think I may want to try watching @GulfportDoc's suggestion of Anatomy of a Murder.
Anatomy of a Murder IMO is one of the best trial movies ever made. It's very intelligently written and it never dumbs down it's script...it's based on a true story too. I think you'd like it.

What got me-SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!! for anyone who hasn't seen it - is that we never found out if the accused was actually guilty.
I know someone s gonna say that wasn't the point of the movie, but it bugged me. And personally, I think the guy did it🙄
I think most people believe the accused kid was innocent and what they love about the movie is that he was acquitted thanks to the underdog Henry Fonda fighting for his rights. But I'm with you, the accused was guilty and the emotions that fans of the movie feel are being manipulated by cliche characters who have some of the stupidest written lines and motivations in any movie I've seen.

The video game adaptation (Angry Birds) isn't really up to much though imo.

The point of the movie though, is that we as people, even if we become jurors, can sometimes, never really know if the accused is guilty. If they revealed if the accused was guilty or innocent in the end, then that would miss the point of the theme though.

As for the movie having stupid lines, it was written during the Hays code, so they had to beat around the bush when it came to a lot language, if that is what you mean?

...As for the movie having stupid lines, it was written during the Hays code, so they had to beat around the bush when it came to a lot language, if that is what you mean?
No, that's not what I meant...Take the example of the jury member who's only interest in a death penalty trial is in reaching a real quick verdict so that he can use his tickets to see a ball game. I mean the way his character is written so flippantly, with the flimsiest of motivations, makes him one dimensional and almost cartoon like. The guy is deciding someone's life and the director wants the audience to feel that the jury system can be unfair and so he directs his movie with a sledge hammer.

I would have preferred more subtle nuances in the script dialogue for the opposing 11 jurors and more believable character motivations. 'Ham fisted' is the best way to describe the over top caricaturizations of the 11 jurors.

No, that's not what I meant...Take the example of the jury member who's only interest in a death penalty trial is in reaching a real quick verdict so that he can use his tickets to see a ball game. I mean the way his character is written so flippantly, with the flimsiest of motivations, makes him one dimensional and almost cartoon like. The guy is deciding someone's life and the director wants the audience to feel that the jury system can be unfair and so he directs his movie with a sledge hammer.

I would have preferred more subtle nuances in the script dialogue for the opposing 11 jurors and more believable character motivations. 'Ham fisted' is the best way to describe the over top caricaturizations of the 11 jurors.
Oh okay, but the character was suppose to be shallow though, cause he cared about a ball game, more than a person's life. So if you want to write a character who is suppose to be shallow, wouldn't that be a good way of doing it?

Oh okay, but the character was suppose to be shallow though, cause he cared about a ball game, more than a person's life. So if you want to write a character who is suppose to be shallow, wouldn't that be a good way of doing it?
Well, I guess it's like this: name any movie and some people won't believe the actions of a character as being true or believable. But other people will believe the character's actions as realistic...To me a fantasy film can stretch those character tropes, while a film that's striving to be more realistic needs to have more well rounded characters, especially the antagonist. It's good script writing if the antagonist has a soul too.