MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Enough to make me post in this thread when more dumbass contributions like "SJWs would hate The Jerk" or whatever didn't.

Liar Liar - 1997

"I'm kicking my ass. Do you mind?"
Didn't realize so many Jim Carrey movies would be in my top 100. This is another, to me, one of his classic 90s comedies when he was in his groove. So many memorable quotes and scenes. No matter what I am doing if it's on TV I will stop for at least a little bit. Carrey was probably relieved to play a normal character for once . Picking a lawyer as the character's career is so perfect . I heard the guy who wrote this was a lawyer and when this movie did so well he quit. Not sure how true that is but funny if it is. Not much else to say about this movie except its pretty damn funny and Carrey is wildly entertaining in it.

Director - Tom Shadyac
Best Performance - Jim Carrey as Fletcher Reede
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 81%
Factoid - Steve Martin turned down the lead role in this film due to scheduling conflicts with another film.
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

Memorable Scene

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
[center]48
Liar Liar - 1997

Didn't realize so many Jim Carrey movies would be in my top 100. This is another, to me, one of his classic 90s comedies when he was in his groove. So many memorable quotes and scenes. No matter what I am doing if it's on TV I will stop for at least a little bit. Carrey was probably relieved to play a normal character for once . Picking a lawyer as the character's career is so perfect . I heard the guy who wrote this was a lawyer and when this movie did so well he quit. Not sure how true that is but funny if it is. Not much else to say about this movie except its pretty damn funny and Carrey is wildly entertaining in it.

Director - Tom Shadyac
Best Performance - Jim Carrey as Fletcher Reede
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 81%
Factoid - Steve Martin turned down the lead role in this film due to scheduling conflicts with another film.

Memorable Scene

Jim Carrey's movies are kind of hit or miss for me, but Liar Liar is easily my favorite of his movies.

Oh, man, Little Giants is such a blast from the past. I'd forgotten about that movie even existing. Probably haven't seen it since I was in third or fourth grade. Django Unchained is excellent. It's mid-tier Tarantino for me, but I love everything he's directed. Christmas Vacation is a holiday staple and the only Vacation film I enjoy.

We're the same age, so of course The Lion King was a staple of my youth. Typically I hate the musical numbers from Disney films, but the songs were perhaps the biggest strength of The Lion King. I'll happily listen to "Circle of Life" or "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" anytime. And Hakuna Matata is my adopted philosophy. Up is also great and I think Wall-E is Pixar's greatest achievement, although Toy Story is still my personal favorite.

I didn't like Goon at all. Wonder Woman was great fun. I like it more than most of the MCU films. Only seen V for Vendetta once, but I liked it a lot and should revisit it to see why it's so polarizing. Agree with you that Me, Myself and Irene is underrated. I think it's the last truly funny movie Jim Carrey made. Courtroom scenes typically bore me, so I'm not a big fan of Liar, Liar, but it's enjoyable enough. When it came out, I'd started to move on from Carrey to guys like Adam Sandler, so it didn't get as much replay as Carrey's earlier 90's output.

Still digging the list and its individuality.

Its ok Bruce Almighty probably best Jim Carrey Movie or The Mask.
Bruce Almighty was ok. Felt like that was the movie that broke the camel's back with his shtick. His movies were never quite the same after that. I really think every comedian actor has a tight window of movies before they get stale. Happens to everyone. Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler etc.

But man Carrey had some fun movies back in the day. Such a shame he is a loon now.

Good Will Hunting - 1997

"My boy's wicked smart"
Man was this movie kind of important in the history of Hollywood. It exploded Damon and Affleck onto the Hollywood scene. They are still top notch leading men and Affleck is actually a great director going on 23 years now. Hell it got Affleck's brother onto the scene and he won an Oscar years later. Damon and Affleck wrote the movie which I believe they got an Oscar for the screenplay. It made Harvey Weinstein a major player in Hollywood, unfortunately. Not only was it vital for many important actor's in Hollywood careers but it is also chalk full of memorable scenes and moments. It was God damn hard trying to narrow it down to a scene to put at the bottom. Every other scene is memorable. "How do you like them apples?". Park bench scene. "It's not your fault". "I gotta see about a girl". "Son of a b*tch...stole my line". I could go on and on.

Damon and Williams really freaking shine in the movie. Williams won an Oscar for his performance and I would give him a slight nudge over Damon's performance. But man does Damon bring it. The movie really depends on their relationship to work and man does it work. Every scene they are in together you are captivated. Williams was an inspired choice at the time and man does he deliver probably the best performance of his career. It really is a fascinating watch, that is insanely rewatchable. It will make you cry. It will make you laugh and I think the ending is so satisfying.

The way I am gushing about it you might think it would be higher on my list. I do really love the flick but it just never really grabbed a hold of me the way some movies around that time did. Can't nail the reason why. It's still a great flick and top 50 on my countdown and I highly recommend it.

Director - Gus Van Sant
Best Performance - Robin Williams as Sean Maguire
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 97%
Factoid - Matt Damon and Ben Affleck found a clever way to choose the right studio for their script: the story goes that on page sixty of the script, they wrote a completely out-of-nowhere sex scene between Will and Chuckie. They took it to every major studio, and nobody even mentioned the scene. When they met with Harvey Weinstein at Miramax, he said "I only have one really big note on the script. About page sixty, the two leads, both straight men, have a sex scene. What the hell is that?" Damon and Affleck explained that they put that scene specifically in there to show them who actually read the script and who didn't. As Weinstein was the only person who brought it up, Miramax was the studio chosen to produce the film.

Memorable Scene

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 1990, 1991, 1993

"Man, do I love being a turtle!"
You won't understand unless you are around my age. I was never a big comic book, nerdy dude growing up. I've enjoyed getting into it as I get older with comic book movies, I still don't really read them. The one thing that I did get into that was comic book ish was the Turtles. The Turtles were my childhood. I just thought they were so damn cool.

Were they great movies? No. But they are just movies that mean a lot to me. When I watch them I am transported back to being a little kid. The funny thing is the newer movies they did a few years back make these movies better. Why? Because they put a ton of care into these movies by actually taking the time and making badass turtle costumes that look exactly like the Turtles. They took the time to get all the Turtles personalities right. Raph is the hot head. Leo is the leader. Donny is the smart one. Mikey is the goofball. They nailed all the important parts. The new ones are just lazy compared to the old ones. Just big CGI money grabs. Such a let down to the franchise I loved. At least I'll always have these 3 movies.

Director - Steve Barron & Micheal Pressman & Stuart Gillard
Best Performance - The Turtles
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 40%, 35%, 23%
Factoid - This was the highest-grossing independent film of all time, having made $135 million in domestic box office and $66 million in the foreign box office.

Memorable Scene

Cedar Rapids - 2011

"Selling insurance is a business, it's not a God damn Boy Scout troop."
I was not expecting much when I saw this movie but man did I really enjoy this flick. It's the kind of small self contained real life feeling flick I really dig. It's about a insurance sales man, played by Ed Helms, who has basically grown up in a small town in Iowa and has never left. Super innocent. He gets sent to the big metropolis of Cedar Rapids to go to the annual insurance conference. It's just a charming little flick to me. Helms is great as a innocent grown man. This was shortly after he blew up in The Hangover I think. Anne Heche and Isiah Whitlock Jr are also great.

However the real stand out in this movie is John C. Reilly. This is probably my favorite role he has done. Feel like everyone should have a Dean Ziegler in their lives . He sort of shakes Helms character out of his innocence, not on purpose, just by being himself. It is just a fun character and it seems like John really enjoyed it and it shows. I just smile or laugh everytime he appears.

I don't know I just think this is a real hidden gem. The story to me is entertaining, funny and executed pretty well to me. I haven't seen it in a bit, but it always makes me smile when I think about it.

Director - Miguel Arteta
Best Performance - John C. Reilly as Dean Ziegler
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 86%
Factoid - The screenplay for this film was featured in the 2009 Blacklist; a list of the "most liked" unmade scripts of the year.
Stock In Countdown - Riser
Memorable Scene

I'm actually moving to Cedar Rapids Iowa next month, so I feel like I need to rewatch that movie. I remember thinking it was just okay when I first watched it years ago.

I'm actually moving to Cedar Rapids Iowa next month, so I feel like I need to rewatch that movie. I remember thinking it was just okay when I first watched it years ago.
Well good luck with the move. I am a Florida boy so I would die in the cold in Iowa. I adore the movie but might not be for you. John C is the man in it. Hope you like it better the 2nd time around.

500 Days Of Summer - 2009

"Look, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Now, I think you're just remembering the good stuff. Next time you look back, I, uh, I really think you should look again."
Gordon-Levitt is my dude. Probably my favorite actor. Not that he has been in my favorite movies/tv shows...he has done a lot of good work though. I just feel like he is extremely talented and just in it for the right reasons. I don't know, just dig him . Zoey is really good in the movie as well as a young Chole Grace Mortez.

The film itself is a very unique exercise in story telling. It keeps you on your toes. It's from the point of view of a dude who enters a relationship then falls in love gets his heart broken and then can't get over her. It feels like a real life relationship instead of some romanticized cookie cutter Hollywood rom-com. I think the movie also tells an important lesson on taking care of your happiness before you can make someone else happy. Once you gain an identity you are happy with you don't have to project what you want on other people, it just appears.

Also the end is a very nice touch

Director - Marc Webb
Best Performance - Joesph Gordon-Levitt as Tom Hansen
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 85%
Factoid - According to the DVD commentary, one of the film's writers estimates that 75% of the film actually happened to him.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Memorable Scene

Ratatouille - 2007

"Only the fearless can be great."
This sort of wraps up Pixar when it was at it's peak to me. Wall:e 2008, Up 2009 and this movie in 2007. All 3 original flicks. All 3 incredibly entertaining and unexpected. I think when Pixar comes out with the craziest idea they can and see if it can work that's when they are at their best. These 3 movies represent their strongest run to me. Ratatouille for whatever reason is my favorite of the 3. It might not be the best movie of the 3 but it is my favorite of them.

I have no idea why I like this movie the best of the 3. I do think the way they wrap up the movie is so cool. Characters end up not being what you think they were. I don't want to spoil it but I think it's a good lesson for cynics, which I can definitely be. Try to be more optimistic and idealist. Maybe that's why I like it so much. Reminds me to try and be more optimistic.

Hopefully Pixar gets away from all these sequels and returns to these original flicks. Inside Out felt like it should have been made in this run. Love to hear what everyone's favorite film is between Up, Wall:E and Ratatouille.

Director - Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava
Best Performance - Patton Oswalt as Remy
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 96%
Factoid - Brad Bird cast Patton Oswalt in the main role after hearing his stand-up routine about the menu at the Black Angus Steakhouse.
Stock In Countdown - Riser

Memorable Scene

I love Ratatouille! It’s such an unlikely but beautiful film.

And personally I’d order the three Pixar films:

1. Wall-E (favorite Pixar and one of my all time favorite animated movies)
2. Ratatouille (2nd favorite Pixar and in my top ten animation)
3. Up (7th favorite Pixar, still love it but not at the level of the other two