Sam Neill as james bond

Tools    

Sam Neill was screen tested in 1986 just before the next bond installment which was at the time: the living daylights, what do you guys think, was Sam Neill gonna pull it off if he was casted as james bond instead of Timothy Dalton.
to be honest, i really like Sam Neill but i never could see him wearing the 007 status, because to me he doesn t have that charisma to be A lead action star if you know what i mean.
have your say

Welcome to the human race...
I remember reading some profile Empire did on him a while back where he said that his agent had pushed him into auditioning and his heart wasn't really in it, which admittedly comes through in this video. No telling what it might have been like if he'd really tried, though.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Sam Neill sounds kind of similar to Pierce Brosnan in voice, but he doesn't have the same screen presence, and I don't see it either.

I've never seen this audition before. Sam Neill's always had an unusual quality and maybe he was just too interesting for the role? The fact that he was cast as the adult Damien in Omen III seems to bear that out. I'm just thinking that his co-star in Event Horizon, Jason Isaacs, was later mentioned as a possible new Bond. I liked Isaacs but felt he would be far too much like Timothy Dalton.

I certainly think he would've been capable. He's suave, but lacks the pretty boy vibe and feels closer to what a "real" Bond would be. Would've been a nod in that direction long before Craig was cast for presumably the same sorts of reasons.

I certainly think he would've been capable. He's suave, but lacks the pretty boy vibe and feels closer to what a "real" Bond would be. Would've been a nod in that direction long before Craig was cast for presumably the same sorts of reasons.
Dalton was of course also a bit of a nod in this direction and that was the point he was going for the role.

Could have made an excellent Bond villain I'd say, indeed I think him as Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights could have worked very well giving the character a bit more edge/menace.