7. Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames
  8. Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof
  9. Dope Smoker - October
  10. Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Round 6

1. Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames
(I heard some song recently that name-dropped a bunch of red-dirt country artists. All of them I was familiar with except Brandon Jenkins. Decided to look him up and I've loved what I've heard so far. There's no re-invention here, just tried-and-true, Southern-bred, authentic, earthy country. I had no idea he was dead until I saw the comments on this video. Apparently he died of some heart condition at age 48. That sucks, but he had a 20-year career and multiple albums, so there's still a ton of music for me to comb through. Curious to hear if @jiraffejustin is familiar with him and, if so, which songs/albums he recommends the most.)

2. Swedish Hitz Goes Metal - Money, Money, Money
(Well, that was fun. Goofy and entertaining, but very technically skilled as well. Quite the vocal range by the young blonde Shampoo Commercial Meat Loaf.)

3. Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
(Feel like this has been nominated a ton of times before, but it's a fantastic song, so who cares. Always think of Jackie Brown when I hear it.)

4. Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe
(Some of the rhymes in this made my head spin.)

5. Dope Smoker - October
(Ride the fuzz.)

6. Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby
(About three years ago or so I became really interested in traditional blues, immersing myself in the music of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf and Lightnin' Hopkins and the like. For whatever reason I haven't been listening to that stuff lately, but this has caused the itch to flare back up. Simple song, not a lot to it, yet like all the best blues music, there's something so genuine and cathartic about it.)

7. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1
(Not crazy about the length, especially as it gets so quiet at times, but it's obviously a fantastic piece of music. As I keep saying, I'm not into classical music, but I do seem to enjoy these pieces that are very dynamic, very dramatic, going through multiple highs and lows and basically providing a movie for the imagination.)

8. Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof
(A bit vanilla for me, but the dude has a smooth voice.)

9. José Feliciano - California Dreamin'
(There seems to be something about this song that lends itself easily to reinterpretations. Love the Mamas and Papas original, and I've heard multiple covers that I've really enjoyed as well, but not a huge fan of this version.)

10. Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels
(Never cared for this band.)

I'll be out of town this weekend, so I'm going to skip the next round. I'll jump back in early next week.

ROUND 6
  1. Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
    (Wanted to nominate this one later on, but Ed beat me to it.)
  2. Dope Smoker - October
  3. Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe
    (It has one of the best / the best bar ever written in it. Overall I like the original '92 version better.)
  4. José Feliciano - California Dreamin'
  5. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
  6. Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof
  7. Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames
  8. Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money
  9. Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby
  10. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1

ROUND 7
George Michael - Kissing a Fool

Let the night air cool you off
@Captain Spaulding I am not familiar with Brandon Jenkins' music, but I remember seeing an article about his death. I wouldn't have known it was him if he didn't have such a distinct look.

Let the night air cool you off
1. Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98)
2. Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby
3. Swedish Hitz Goes Metal - Money, Money, Money
4. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1
5. Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames
6. Jose Feliciano - California Dreamin'
7. Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
8. Dope Smoker - October
9. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
10. Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof

"Living Proof" is a little too smooth and clean for me. Dude can clearly sing, but I prefer something with a little more edge. I need to ask my dad if he likes RVS or not, I can't remember. To be fair though, I used to think of Keith Whitley the way I think of RVS, so who knows what type of re-eval I'll give him in the future.

I KINDA like "Head Over Heels" because the dude sings in a weird way and he has a weird face/head/teeth combo with nearly the same haircut as my brother. Coming in at almost five minutes, this starts to drag early.

Bobby Womack is dope. "Across 110th Street" makes me wish I was at least a little bit black.

I really didn't expect to care for Jose Feliciano's cover of a song that I've grown tired of a long time ago. I dig it though, and I should probably go ahead and see OUaTiH.

Swedish Hitz Goes Metal? lololololol I love this. I don't even know what to say, this is wild and fun and awesome. This track came from nowhere and off the top rope for sure.

I plan on diving into classical music pretty soon, but I think I am going to get into more chamber stuff and sonatas first. I don't have a problem with the bombast you get from symphonies, but I think prefer the more subdued and intimate music you get from much smaller numbers of players. That said, it's hard to ignore the accomplishment of getting a group of people together and make something that sounds as epic as the movement from Dvorak.

When I heard Brandon Jenkins' voice, it was not I expected. I thought I was going to hear somebody that sounded like Whitey Morgan. It might take me a few tries to get used to it. Instrumentally, I can't complain. Lyrically, it doesn't feel like anything new or challenging. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd take this over modern radio country any day of the week. I'll have to check more of this guy out. As far as Texas and Oklahoma country goes, he's got stiff competition from the people I prefer. I don't think he reaches the same level as a lot of those dudes. But being second-tier to guys like Cody Jinks, Turnpike Troubadours, and Randy Rogers is nothing to be ashamed of.

F*ck. Just pump "I'm Leaving You Baby" straight into my veins. That guitar is filthy. And it has the best album cover I've ever seen.

As far as my nom goes, sometimes I just love listening to rappers just getting bars. How do these two fat guys even breathe while they get these complex bars?

Smoke weed everyday.

Good round, nothing I hated. I'll be sitting the next round out too, as I'm spending the weekend with my dad and siblings.

Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street - I love this. It'll go above my choice and will probably be my #1 here.

Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money - Probably my favourite ABBA song and I really like Swedish Hitz Goes Metal (I was thinking of nominating Roxette's The Look which I recommend)

Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby - Old blues, baby. Nice.

Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe - Nice flow. With more listens I might rate it higher.

José Feliciano - California Dreamin' - A great song done ok.

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1 - I like it, but it's just not for this kind of thing for me.

Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels - Nostalgic, but not one which has every really got me. It's ok and familiar.

Dope Smoker - October - Love the guitar, but it went on far too long for me.

Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames - I don't really have anything to say here.

Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof - We all know by now I don't care for country, but this doesn't offend my ears, it's just there and thankfully short (though still too long for me )

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 6
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
serious SEEREEOUS soul! muh brutha
Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof This one sort of caught me out of nowhere with such an easy feeling
José Feliciano - California Dreamin' I had completely forgotten about this soul filled gentleman from the 70s and he gave so much life to a song I had grown tire of, he just HAD to score high for it
Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby It's da BLUES and dat's all you gotta say baybee
Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money schlock. But damn good schlock
Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1 Epic. Purely epic.
Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames Really enjoyed this but a few songs beat it out
Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels Never cared for this when it came out but it was fun to hear it again.
Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe Not much to say
Dope Smoker - October Do love a good buzz, but since I'm not buzzed presently, it did suffer for it

Bill Withers - Use Me

1. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1
2. José Feliciano - California Dreamin'
3. Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
4. Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money
5. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
6. Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby
7. Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof
8. Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames
9. Dope Smoker - October
10. Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe

Very strong round, with only two songs I really disliked.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Chypmunk, I'm listening to the songs now. I'll have my votes posted soon.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof
2) José Feliciano - California Dreamin'
3) Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames
4) Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
5) Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1
6) Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
7) Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby
8) Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money
9) Dope Smoker - October
10) Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe

Sadly no sign of votes from Derek but the show must go on so here's the results of R6:

Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street (73 pts)

2nd - José Feliciano - California Dreamin' (58 pts)
3rd - Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover '98) ft. Fat Joe (54 pts)
4th - Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, Movement 1 (52 pts)
5th - Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames (51 pts)
6th - Junior Kimbrough - I'm Leaving You Baby (50 pts)
7th - Swedish Hitz Goes Metal- Money, Money, Money (47 pts)
8th - Ricky Van Shelton - Living Proof (41 pts)
9th - Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels (35 pts)
10th - Dope Smoker - October (34 pts)

Grats to ed on making it three through to the Final now

Round 7 on its way shortly...

Leslie Clio - Told You So

Nick Drake - Three Hours

George Michael - Kissing a Fool

Bill Withers - Use Me

Mahler - Symphony No. 5, Movement 4

Jeff Carson - Not On Your Love

Sadly no sign of Derek (hopefully out somewhere partying hard and not being worked to the bone) or a nomination from hk, whilst both Cap and jj sit this one out for what are hopefully enjoyable weekends ... so just the six of us going into bat this time.

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 6 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 9am IST/BST on 17th September.

Nominations are now open for Round 8.

1. Leslie Clio - Told You So
2. Bill Withers - Use Me
3. Nick Drake - Three Hours
4. Jeff Carson - Not On Your Love
5. Mahler - Symphony No. 5, Movement 4
6. George Michael - Kissing a Fool

R8 nom:
Di*Ove - Gaze