My Worst Movie Moms List

Tools    

Florence Aadland, The Last of Robin Hood

Florence (Susan Sarandon) was so desperate to live the Hollywood high life that she pimped out her daughter Beverly (Dakota Fanning) to movie star Erroll lFlynn (Kevin Kine).

Courgette's Mother, My Life as a Zucchini

I couldn't find a shot of the character herself, but this Courgette. Courgette's mom was an abusive alcoholic who brutalized her son physically and emotionally before her death.

32. Kate Roth, I'll Cry Tomorrow

Kate Roth (Jo Van Fleet) forced her daughter, Lillian (Susan Hayward) into show business as a child and didn't really care whether or not the kid had any talent. As Lillian grew up, her mother tried her best to live the vicarious high life that her daughter could provide while brow-beating Lillian every chance she could get about her drinking and her choice of men.
That sounds like a movie I should watch. BTW I hope Jo Van Fleet makes another appearance as a horrible, nasty mother (I won't mention the movie, maybe you haven't seen it, but she takes the cake)

Courgette's Mother, My Life as a Cucumber

I couldn't find a shot of the character herself, but this Courgette. Courgette's mom was an abusive alcoholic who brutalized her son physically and emotionally before her death.
Lol isn’t it Zucchini?

Have not seen many of these films, but if you're including step moms, I would mention the (original) movies Cinderella and Snow White. These horrid figures became , ironically , even more cruel and frightening when I rewatched the movies as an adult. I suppose b/c these fairy tales mined an archetype of evil mother, whose character, as you watched the headlines, was far more real than a cartoon .

And I expect to see Mommy Dearest higher up on the list.

Unusual topic Gid, but interesting - tho I ' m glad you didn't run this theme by us close to Mother's Day.

Mama Fratelli, The Goonies

Anne Ramsey played this contemporary version of Ma Barker...the tough and domineering mother of two thug sons who are trying to roba pair of brothers from the treasure that could save their home.

Kate McAllister, Home Alone

I have a feeling this is going to be a very unpopular choice for this list, but there is no justification for Kate. To go out of town for Christmas and leave one of your children at
home , no matter how many children you have or how busy you are, cannot be justified in my mind, but when she loses track of Kevin AGAIN in the sequel? There's no way this woman could not make a bad mothers' list.

I agree with Home Alone. Kate is a good person but a terrible mother.

A bucket of anxiety

Mama Fratelli, The Goonies

Anne Ramsey played this contemporary version of Ma Barker...the tough and domineering mother of two thug sons who are trying to roba pair of brothers from the treasure that could save their home.
Better throw her off a train

I agree with Home Alone. Kate is a good person but a terrible mother.
I think you could argue that film is the peak of yuppie cinema to the degree there's not any kind of serious reckoning for her.

I'm guessing psychic powers and ballet feature higher up the list.

I wouldn't agree with Kate McAllister simply because she cares. She's a good mother who didn't notice that Kevin wasn't there. No one else noticed either. It's like saying he's a bad son for not waking up in time or making any effort to get in touch with them and making them all worry.

Ruth DeWitt Bukater, Titanic

Frances Fisher was robbed of an Oscar nomination for her performance as the quietly domineering mother of Rose DeWitt (Kate Winslet) who is forcing her daughter to marry Cal Hockley (Billy Zane) because it will solve Ruth's financial problems. The fact that Rose is in love with another man named Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a non-issue to Ruth, who treats Jack like so much dirt beneath her shoe whenever the opportunity arises.

Paula Chase, Anything Else

Stockard Channing played the self-absorbed mother of an equally self-absorbed daughter (Christina Ricci) who decides to move in with her daughter and order a piano for the apartment so that she can prepare a nightclub act while disrupting her daughter's dysfunctional relationship with a struggling writer (Jason Biggs).

Ricki, Ricki and the Flash

Meryl Streep plays a woman who deserted her children decades ago in pursuit of her dream of becoming a famous rocker. She never really became the star she intended and when the opportunity arises for her to mend fences with her children, she doesn't really put a lot of effort into that either.

Anne Hamilton, The Notebook

Joan Allen played another one of those movie moms who has decided that the man (Ryan Gosling) in love with her daughter (Rachel McAdams) is not good enough for her and does everything she can to keep them apart, including hiding all of the love letters that the guy wrote to her over the years.